Netflix greenlights new "Lost in Space"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by safarial, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, they're definitely starting off with the Robinsons, Don, and Smith on their own, much like the original series' status quo (although it's hard to see how they could get the Robot back). But the first season set up questions and mysteries involving the Resolute and its backstory that haven't entirely been resolved. So it's possible we'll be seeing characters like the Dhars, the Watanabes, and the Resolute captain again -- if not in interaction with the Robinsons, perhaps in a parallel narrative revealing more of the answers behind the Christmas Star and the hyperdrive, while the Robinsons make their own related discoveries in the binary star system.

2. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Perhaps the alien stardrive, as well as acting as a gravity generator, is actually a sapient component of a Von Neumann spaceship with a wide range of abilities, explaining why the robots are so desperate to get it back - it might even be their version of a god. If it hooks into the 3D printer, perhaps it can create a new version of the robot for Will or Smith. Another more unlikely prospect is that it can manipulate human brain states and implant knowledge. If Smith is a flake, potentially disruptive and dangerous, and has no useful skills, why would they ever let her out of her ersatz cell? Did the device already manipulate Smith and perhaps enhance her skill set?

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

That's an interesting idea or two there. I like this.

Don will get jiggy with Judy. I wonder if Smith will get jiggy with anyone.

4. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That seems like quite the age difference. I dunno. Just my opinion maybe.

5. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I suspect she'll be looking up vibrator and dildo in the 3D printer's database, the searches turning up empty, and resorting to joystick.

Admiral2 and Gingerbread Demon like this.
  6. Christopher

Since this is a family show like the original (note how little profanity there was), I doubt there will be much of anyone "getting jiggy."

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The show would be far less interesting without the other supporting cast, so hopefully the Resolute got sucked into the wake of whatever snatched the Jupiter II.

Asbo Zaprudder likes this.
  8. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

If the Resolute remained behind, Victor will probably manage another rescue attempt.

9. Serveaux

10. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome. Thank you!

Also, Penny's not quite boyfriend is apparently a series regular now.

11. Christopher

Which confirms what I expected, that the Resolute and its occupants will be an ongoing part of the story.

12. Gingerbread Demon

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Did they get sucked into the alien ring world too?

13. Christopher

I'm guessing that, for at least part of the season, we'll follow the Resolute in a separate story thread from the Robinsons, although I imagine they'll eventually come together again.

Markonian likes this.
  14. Gingerbread Demon

I do hope so. The alien ring world interests me because it looks so different to what we've seen in other shows, and to me those rings around the two star things in the middle look artificial in nature. What are the rings?

15. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

So, with principal filming starting now, we can expect Season 2 to drop late-Fall 2019? I'd think they'd need at least a year for VFX. Late 2019 seems about right or would they hold it for early 2020? Thoughts?

Q2

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. Serveaux

Well, they'll generate a few clicks with that, which is what they're paid for.

Psion likes this.
  18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I can delete the post if you think I should. I just thought it was something that other people who watched the show might find interesting.

19. Christopher

I loved it. I thought it was very well-written and beautifully made. Meanwhile, EW's "critique" of it is glib and superficial and doesn't really have a point beyond it being different from the source, which is the most cliched, stupidest possible reason to complain about a remake/adaptation. Heck, in this case it's an asset, since the original show mostly failed to live up to its potential. I love the remake because it succeeds at being what the original was intended to be before it got dragged off-course.

Marsden, Amaris and Galileo7 like this.
  20. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, a tight knit nuclear family; oh, wait!