Netflix’s Lost in Space Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starscream2112, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

That trailer looks great. I wonder about the Christmas Eve drop date — I hope that’s a premium viewing time for Netflix, but I worry it could be a black hole where the show could get lost in the holiday shuffle. (No puns intended.)

Re: Dr. Smith’s role in season two, I’m guessing she gets to stick around not because the Robinsons are dumb or duped but because they’re too kind and compassionate to space her, even after all she’s done. That’s an interesting dynamic to me.

However it unfolds, I have a lot of faith and goodwill in this show and its writers, so I’ll trust they’ll make it work. Really looking forward to it.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure that's the Jupiter 2, I read an article the other day where they were talking about how they end up having to turn her into a sailing ship to get around on one of the planets they end up on.

3. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I really wish they'd nailed it from the start, maybe we would have gotten more seasons out of it. I've often thought that Lost in Space is what Terra Nova should have been. There are similarities in the concept but LIS is just much better executed.
    Okay, that makes much more sense. I was wondering how they would get around the planet with the limited fuel they managed to produce at the end of last season.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Maybe not, since the reason for Terra Nova's cancellation was as much about how expensive it was as anything else. The reason it had, like, a thousand executive producer credits was because it needed so many different production companies onboard as financing partners. Which also worked against its quality, because that was a hell of a lot of bosses giving different notes on the stories.

5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Another reason I'm over streaming companies dropping them all at once. It makes seasons feel so far apart.

If it had more viewers, the expense would've been worth it for FOX.

6. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

The Robinsons are too kind.

Maureen was an inch away from spacing Smith in the last series but then relents. She's too kind.

I was kind of darkly hoping Smith would choke on those chips she was eating in the trailer. Just on that are they still going to call her Smith that makes zero sense now that they know her real name.

7. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At one a week, the last episode of season 1 would have aired on June 15, 2018. That means the break between seasons would have dropped from 620 days to 557 days. I don't think that's a substantive decrease.

8. Christopher

That's what makes them the Robinsons.

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

True. However I think there’s a different experience of watching a show over 10 weeks rather than a weekend, which will stick with one longer.

I feel like binging leaves it in the short term, never moving to the long term because we are on to the next thing that everyone wants to talk about.

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Well, the original was a campy children's fantasy show. This one is at least trying to be a dramatic series.

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

See, that's the thing: no it wasn't...at least not at first.

In the initial season of the original series the creators actually tried to create a science fiction version of Swiss Family Robinson. There was no planet of the week and they did their best to make the aliens of the week serious even with the limited budget. That's where the camp initially came from. The Robinsons crashed on one planet and tried to survive. The show itself didn't become campy fantasy until the evolution of the Dr. Smith character. He started out an enemy saboteur and spent most of season one a disgruntled belligerent. It wasn't until the network found out that his interactions with Will Robinson were driving viewership that he became the slapstick coward everybody remembers, but the guy tried to kill six people and doom a mission that had repercussions for all of humanity, and he's the guy people started to like hanging out with a little boy.

Granted, Female Dr. Smith actually succeeded in killing one person, but she had nothing to do with the shipwreck that stranded the new Robinson family. She simply took advantage of it, and her belligerence in this new first season at least made sense. Male Dr. Smith never faced any serious prospect of having to pay for his crimes. She did, and while my sympathy for her is limited, in terms of characterization she is light years more fleshed out than the saboteur/antagonist/clown.

And yet, back when I initially finished watching the first season and sought reaction on social media, it trended toward the sentiment I saw at the beginning of one video on youtube. I quote: "So, we all agree that Dr. Smith is the worst character on the new show, right?" :shrug:
    And Dr. Smith improved with it, but even though I now realize I'm not alone, the improvement seemed to inspire nothing but hate.

12. Gingerbread Demon

I hope they drop the whole "Dr Smith" thing when that's not even her name.

What good logical reason would they need to still call her that?

13. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Looks great.

I love Posey's "Doctor Smith."

14. Gingerbread Demon

I love Parker Posey's take on the character too she is a terrific actress.

I just wish they'd drop the name now that the pretense is over.

15. Christopher

I feel similarly about "Harrison Wells" and "Adrian Chase" in the Arrowverse. They tend to keep using the fake names even after the characters' true identities are revealed.

Gingerbread Demon and Admiral2 like this.
  16. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

Final Season Two Trailer.

Markonian, Psion, Velocity and 3 others like this.
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that looks great.
    I think this really is a perfect example of a reboot done right.

Markonian, BillJ and Serveaux like this.
  18. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm pumped!

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I probably need to rewatch Season 1, but that was a nice looking trailer.

20. Christopher

Yes. I feel it fulfills the original intentions of LiS better than the original show itself did. It's the version of LiS I've always wanted to see.

Markonian likes this.