Netflix’s Lost in Space Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starscream2112, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

2. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

3. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked season 1 ok, I'll be back for season 2. I'm still not completely sold on Dr. Smith, though.

Australis likes this.
  4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on Earth that likes the new Dr. Smith, so I'm looking forward to seeing more of her.

Skipper, Jayson1, Jadeb and 1 other person like this.
  5. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think you are right cause I couldn't stand her and felt she was just there for the plot devices. I would of put a bullet in her head. So probably wont watch the second season cause of her. Just no reason why she is still alive after everything.

Australis likes this.
  6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

You do realize that you just described the original Dr. Smith as well?

See, that's why I don't get the hate. Dr. Smith has always been an annoying plot device. Dr. Smith stranded the Robinsons through his(her) actions. Dr. Smith insinuated him(her)self into the Robinson family. The Robinsons get into more trouble because of his(her) machinations. It's the same character with a different gender, yet for all the shade he got I don't remember the original Smith being the subject of outright vitriol.

marillion, saddestmoon and BillJ like this.
  7. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

I absolutely loved Parker Posey's Dr Smith, I felt she was one of my favorite things about that show, and I'm greatly looking forward to season 2. :) This is my first time hearing people didn't like her, and I find that so very disappointing. :(

Jayson1, Jadeb, danellis and 2 others like this.
  8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Then you really don't know. There are whole youtube videos dedicated to hating on Posey's Smith, and the initial critic reviews of the series mostly pointed her character out as one of the negatives.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Qonundrum likes this.
  9. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I despise(d) the original Dr. Smith more than I'll EVER dislike the new one. His camp crap ruined the show. Hopefully they don't have this one devolving into that.

Asbo Zaprudder and Admiral2 like this.
  10. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope they are properly lost this time round. That community stuff really killed it for me.

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Well, that last scene kind of hinted that they'd be truly lost this go around...

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

She's actually my favorite character on the show,

Admiral2 and Asbo Zaprudder like this.
  13. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I'm happy to be wrong, then. :)

14. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really liked the new Doctor Smith. I like how see is more of a weasel than a outright asshole evil type. I found the show overall to be very exciting and thrilling and beautiful to look at. They really spent their budget well. Liked all the new characters and while the robot will never be as iconic as the first I liked it. I think I like it much in the same way I like 'Orville" in that it's just fun for the sake of fun. Pure escapism. Worried about the family drama at first but that became a strength as they bonded over the season.

Jason

danellis and Admiral2 like this.
  15. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Don't watch it if you don't like it. Misogyny will find an excuse to express itself in other ways.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

She's really not that different from the original -- just a different mix of the same traits. Despite the silly line Gary Oldman delivered in the movie, Dr. Smith wasn't really "evil" in the sense of active malevolence toward others, just a narcissistic coward and pathological liar who'd do anything for his own safety, comfort, and satisfaction, maybe feeling a twinge of regret if it brought harmful consequences to others, but still feeling justified in doing it anyway. (He only sabotaged the ship in the pilot because he was going to be paid handsomely for it, and he expected the loss of life to be remote enough that he wouldn't have to face it directly.) That ended up being mostly played for laughs in the original show, but the new show has found an interestingly different way to put together the same essential set of attributes, which is impressive.

Admiral2 likes this.
  17. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

I felt June/Dr Smith was sympathetic at times, and her "evilness" was really things spiraling out of control for her. She obviously wanted to live, and I'm not saying she's justified attacking her sister, but she's motivated by self preservation and not evil just for being evil, right? And on the ship, wasn't that guy trying to rape her? So yes she totally went too far by murdering him, but still you can kinda understand her circumstances and even if her methods are wrong you can relate to her reasons.

And then she's basically told by the captain he's going to make her life a living hell, so she has clear reasons why she doesn't want to go back to the ship, and once she pretends to be Dr Smith to escape she has to keep up her lie, and you can really see her panic as she's struggling, I feel Parker did such an amazing job portraying her emotions. And on some level she was getting friendly with the Smiths, you can really see that as well, and she's trying to take control of her destiny, even if she's going to be a monster to do so.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I never got that impression, and it seems unlikely in a family show like this. (The closest we got to anything sexual was a half-second kiss between two teenagers.) She was afraid because he knew she was an impostor and a stowaway and was going to out her to the captain.

19. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

It's refreshing that they're not going as far as how most shows have (and more) while targeting the same audience.

Looks like a good show that could have held its own, rather than piggybacking and changing so much. If the backlash isn't there yet, how long before mainstream audiences feel insulted by reboots when most of these shows would more likely make it on their own and just be influenced by shows of yesteryear rather than entire remakes because shilling on the brand name is easier? And Oreo cookies? Product placement has never fit in well with real sci-fi unless it's in a proper commercial break? It's not realism if it's so selective...

Could the misogyny be stemming, at least by some, from the otherwise media-hammered fact that women should only be seen in positions of goodness and never badness? A thousand people can have up to one thousand eight hundred forty two and a half opinions on the issue, if not more. Far less if most people hate thinking of different possibilities and are resolute on one sole narrative. Who knows how people are trained to think? How do you win them over is surely the question you seek to ask? Indeed, what if that was the point of the remake's makers, to cast the role with a female? What other differences in TV making and society in general have occurred between 1965 and 2018? I bet that might explain some of the vitriol of today that did not exist back then in what is a show whose target audience was young children (e.g. 6 year olds) back then. In other words, if there's misogyny at all then it's not there because of Pavlov's intended reason, unless it is.

20. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I love her.

They were and are lost - so is the rest of the community.

And a number of the cast members from the Resolute are returning this year, along with new ones. So we'll see the community again, which is great - one of the many major ways in which the new LIS vastly exceeds the original.

Smith, of course, is another.

Jadeb and Ovation like this.