Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by foxmulder710, Aug 15, 2009.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Abrams said the prison planet sequence took the test audiences out of the movie. I wonder what kind of mess he created on screen that a sequence explaining EVERYTHING would take you out of the movie.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

An extremely popular, successful and entertaining movie is what he created. Thanks for asking.

That sequence "does not explain everything" - in fact, it elaborates on and explains one or two things that aren't of enormous importance except in a completist, OCD kind of way. If anything, the brief passage removed from the "ice cave" scene does more to ease the awkwardness of a couple of plot contrivances than does anything in the "prison planet" scene.

That said - and you're not going to like this - if you're thinking very much about a movie while you're watching it, it's not doing what a movie should do. Ideally a movie of this kind ia an immersive experience, and if it matters you think about it later.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I have a brain that doesn't have an off switch. If I start thinking about the movie while watching it then it's not my fault. And I have seen many movies of that kind that were immersive to me, and intelligent, and successful, so it's not impossible, and not too much to ask for.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  4. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

I just took that line as evidence that Nero was emotionally disturbed and could not be reasoned with. (It also bears a disturbing resemblance to the way an ex used to argue; i.e., "my emotional reality trumps your physical reality.")