NEMESIS STILL LOOKS GOOD!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by sovereign, Feb 10, 2014.

1. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

R.I.P. Digital Domain.

2. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fair point, but the Abrams-Trek movies clearly have a bigger budget now than what the TNG movies had comparable to other movies of their era.

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I just couldn't disagree with this statement more.

The NuTrek movies have a very glossy, high budget, LARGE scale appearance, feel and veneer - particularly STID. That's because they are high budget and large scale!

STID looks waaaaay better than the SW prequels IMHO - particularly the awful and "cartoony" AOTC. Avatar comes over like that too.

Can't comment on the LOTR as I'm not a fan of that sort of thing, and I'm not very familiar with the movies. As far as the current clutch of superhero movies goes - NuTrek is minimally on a par with them.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  4. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Agreed. The only other Trek movie that felt like a big-budget, cinematic affair (outside the Abramsverse films) was The Motion Picture. The rest were made by TV people and felt like very low-budget affairs. Nemesis gets points for trying but simply didn't have the budget to back it up.

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I keep thinking how much of a waste it was to make Shinzon a Picard Clone. It would have worked so much better to have Shinzon be Picard's Romulan counterpart: a respected, intelligent, well spoken, well educated, rational, Commander and diplomat. A rarity in the Imperial Navy: A man of peace, who will fight for the Romulan people, but prefers to avoid it if he can.

But the difference between the two being that Shinzon came out of the war with a new POV: The government leaders of the Alpha and Beta quadrants are war criminals as much as the Founders are, and his mission is to bring them to justice so the quadrants can hae a true, lasting, peace.

7. BillJ

But then you run into "Why are we rooting for Picard instead of this guy?"

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Cause Picard isn't running around killing World Leaders.

9. BillJ

I'm not sure your audience would feel the same way. Part of entertainment is that we can entertain things that we'd never entertain in real life. So if this guy has a beef and has some evidence to legitimately back it up. You'll have Picard defending figures who won't deserve defending in the eyes of your audience.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

If his audience doesn't, maybe yours does.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Nemesis is the first Star Trek movie I bought right away on DVD instead of VHS.

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I worked at Walmart when Nemesis came out on DVD, and I bought it straight away. I even had a coworker hold one for me, just in case. Turns out I had nothing to worry about, but still. :lol:

13. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only have it because I was force fed the TNG movies on DVD to own the TOS movies (No separate 6 pack TOS. If you wanted TOS you had to get the 10 pack set)

Ironically I really only wanted the TMP:DC but didn't mind having the others.

I saw Nemesis a couple of times, groaned, and then burnt the DVD with advanced laser technology :)