Name That Star Trek Object

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Methuselah Flint, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice! I didn't think of that! But alas no!

Clue # 11
    The object this stems from, appears to be the only living thing on the planet other than the humans. However a very late arrival, for the plans of its creator.

2. Methuselah Flint

Clue # 12
    This object is neither native to the planet, nor to Earth.

3. Methuselah Flint

Clue # 13
    Someone favours this particular variety.

4. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

RubySlipppers likes this.
  5. Methuselah Flint

Nice guess, but I'm afraid you're way off Mr Vulcan Globe.

Clue # 14
    Being such a being, it is perhaps only natural for this object to be the first of its kind to be 'created'.

6. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

I'm stumped! Here are the clues all in one....anyone??
    Clue # 1
    To me, this actually looks like another object!
    Clue # 2
    In truth, there are more than one of these in the adventure in question.
    Clue # 3
    The object(s) is held by two guest stars of the week.
    Clue # 4
    The object(s) is seen only briefly towards the end of the episode. None of our regulars having anything to do with them.
    Clue #5
    The above guess is so very close! Shift back a season or two
    Clue # 6
    The Eden incident has an uncanny parallel to this particular object, albeit in the reverse.
    Clue # 7
    The first taste for both the people and the planet.
    Clue # 8
    This object brings back a memory for one of the two.
    Clue # 9
    This object can be split in two.
    Clue # 10
    For these two, an object for pleasure, not necessity.
    Clue # 11
    The object this stems from, appears to be the only living thing on the planet other than the humans. However a very late arrival, for the plans of its creator.
    Clue # 12
    Clue # 13
    Clue # 14
    Being such a being, it is perhaps only natural for this object to be the first of its kind to be 'created'.

7. Methuselah Flint

Clue # 15
    When the object appears, an unusual music cue is heard for the only time in the series.

8. RubySlipppers

RubySlipppers Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Is it Companion after it absorbed the dying Commissioner?

9. Henoch

Kaferian apples.
    [​IMG]
    The new Adam and Eve tasting the forbidden fruit.

10. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

Kaferian apple, thought of that but it was not the only living thing on the planet
    [​IMG]

11. RubySlipppers

My guess doesn't 100% match the clues either. I think Methuselah Flint got us on this one!

12. Methuselah Flint

Well done Henoch! It is indeed the Kaferian apples!

Here's a breakdown of the clues:

Clue # 1
    To me, this actually looks like another object!

I always thought this looked more like a pear!

Clue # 2

In truth, there are more than one of these in the adventure in question.

Indeed - a whole tree-ful of them!

Clue # 3
    The object(s) is held by two guest stars of the week.

Our two mutants - Mitchell and Dehner.

Clue # 4
    The object(s) is seen only briefly towards the end of the episode. None of our regulars having anything to do with them.

Indeed. The last act, and in a location none of our regulars reach.

Clue #5
    The above guess is so very close! Shift back a season or two.

Yes ItsGreen, you were so close here with Adam and the apple from The Way To Eden. The same idea, just much much earlier! Nice guess though! :)

Clue # 6
    The Eden incident has an uncanny parallel to this particular object, albeit in the reverse.

In The Way To Eden, Adam tastes the forbidden fruit, a desire to return to a paradise-like land and ideal.

In Where No Man Has Gone Before, Mitchell reverses this idea. He creates the apple, and his eating it solidifies his abilities and power. He mocks his own ability to create, he treats his powers casually. Added to this, eating the fruit has no retribution. Adam, however, bites into the apple, signaling a desire return to simplicity (and therein paradise), which then results in death.

Mitchell creates a garden as mockery of his powers, Adam desires a true Eden. Both characters come at the notion from opposing angles.

Clue # 7
    The first taste for both the people and the planet.

The first taste of food for the two 'gods'; no doubt the first taste of life for an otherwise barren planet.

Clue # 8
    This object brings back a memory for one of the two.

Mitchell remembers how much he favours the fruit from his visits to their planet of origin.

Clue # 9
    This object can be split in two.

And is indeed demonstrated by our madman of the week.

Clue # 10
    For these two, an object for pleasure, not necessity.

The two 'gods' taste of Mitchell's creation. They experience some sensuality of becoming 'gods'. Hardly, however, in their expanding existence, do they likely need to actually eat.

Clue # 11

Demote me! I made a mistake here! I forgot that Mitchell also created a few other plants and bushes before the apple tree, not after. I do apologise good people!

Clue # 12

Indeed. A trip to Kaferius(?) sounds in order!

Clue # 13

Our bad friend Mitchell again!

Clue # 14

Mitchell's first creation parallels the Christian God's forbidden fruit; the taste of Eden. Yet here he eats of it. Is Mitchell mocking 'God'?

Clue # 15
    When the object appears, an unusual music cue is heard for the only time in the series.

This motif of sorts is only heard the once when Mitchell whisks the apple tree into existence.

So that's it folks. Thank you so much for playing along to this one, and I do apologise about the clue error! Mr Globey Vulcan, I leave the conn in your very capable hands! :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  13. RubySlipppers

Thanks everyone! That was fun. Come over and toss out a guess on the Scene game I have going.

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  14. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

Good game, though clues, glad I had a couple guesses. I know Methuselah Flint #11 clue was a bit inaccurate as he admitted, but is this growth seen on the planet part of Mitchell's created oasis? or was it there prior?
    [​IMG]

TREK_GOD_1 and Methuselah Flint like this.
  15. Methuselah Flint

To be honest, I should have reviewed the footage first. There probably was foliage on the planet, pre-Mitchell.

16. RubySlipppers

There was conversation about the station being fully automated and not a soul on the planet.

17. RubySlipppers

This game got me to watch every single scene between Nona and Tyree! I was way off. :hugegrin:

18. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

QUOTE="Methuselah Flint, post: 13582622, member: 48499"]To be honest, I should have reviewed the footage first. There probably was foliage on the planet, pre-Mitchell.[/QUOTE]

Kirk describes delta Vega as desolate, which may or may not imply lifeless.

However, everyone seems to breath normally both inside the station and outside. So Delta Vega seems to have a lot of oxygen in its atmosphere. Oxygenis a very common element, but is usually found combined with other elments in various compounds.

On Earth, photosynthetic plants eventually produced oxygen faster than various processes could combine it with other elements and removeit from the atmopshere. Thus oxygen eventually accumulated in the atmosphere enough to be breathable for large land animals such as humans.

And as far as I know photosynthesis is considered to be the only possible process to produce large amounts of molecular oxygen in an atmosphere.

So there should be large numbers of planets in the water or on land on Delta Vega, though the planet as a whole is still desolate compared to Earth. But the lithium cracking station was established in some desolate desert region which is even more barren than the typical landscape of Delta Vega.

An alternative theory is that Delta Vega used to have life. Centuries or millennia earlier, a ship from some civilization hit the galactic barrier and a crew member developed esp powers. They attempted to strand them on Delta Vega, but things went wrong. Maybe the captain gave an order like Kirk's:

Perhaps that captain never called his ship, and Delta Vega was later subjected to a lethal concentration of neutron or other radiation. All life there died, including all plants. So no new oxygen is being produced by photosynthesis, and it is gradually being removed from the atmosphere by various processes. But enough oxygen remains in the atmosphere to be breathable.

Added 11-07-2020. This question https://worldbuilding.stackexchange...ould-oxygen-remain-in-the-atmos/189673#189673 and the answers to it, including mine, show that if all life on Earth died the atmosphere should remain breathable for humans for about one milllion years. Of course it is unknown how similar to Earth Delta Vega would have been before the hypothetical extermination of all life on the planet.

Ps. I guessed Kafferian Apples a few clues back, but decided not to answer since I find coming up with clues is stressful.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  19. Henoch

Perhaps the planet was terraformed by UE to account for the Human-compatible breathable atmosphere. This was done to make building the huge facilities easier than working for years in space suits, and later assisting in servicing the automated lithium cracking equipment and with product transfer to freighters. :D

P.S. new clues coming soon. I just have to think up what object to feature.

20. Henoch

Clue 1: The object's presence is not in doubt.