My Star Trek Green Screen Effects Demos

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Admiral Archer, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Commander Red Shirt

Trust me, if I ever get to the point of being close to professional, it will be a long time from now, and you guys will have seen all the steps between then and now. :) For now, this is definitely just for fun.

2. Admiral Archer

New effects test, this time a short clip featuring the refit USS Enterprise from the movies and one of the four-nacelle USS Excelsior pototypes flying through space together. I wanted to make sure the prototype Excelsior was still a lot bigger than the Enterprise, in spite of the fact that my Enterprise model is practically ten times the size of my Excelsior model. LOL

3. Maurice Navidad

Maurice Navidad Maurice, the ATARI CX5200 Premium Member

May I offer you a tip? The trick to making things looks in correct perspective is to not get close to the models unless the ship is supposed to be right up near the "camera". I suspect you scaled down the image of the refit. If so, if you do another shot like this I would suggest getting further away from the background ship so the perspective on it is flatter and it well feel farther away.

Admiral Archer likes this.
  4. Admiral Archer

Thanks for the tip! :) In regards to the background model being shot further away, that is a great idea! However, in regards to the close-up ship, the problem lies in the fact that the Eaglemoss ships are really small (Especially the Excelsior prototype, which I would guess was only a little over an inch wide at its widest point) and so to get any sense of scale when compared to models that are much larger, you have to get really close up, which then almost defeats the purpose when it gets all blurry. I ordered a much smaller refit Enterprise model, so I might try to redo this shot.

PS: I can see why they didn't use this particular Excelsior prototype, it's almost impossible to film from almost any angle.

5. Maurice Navidad

Maurice Navidad Maurice, the ATARI CX5200 Premium Member

Why not just reverse the composition and put the smaller model in the background since you can't get any DOF (Depth of Field) on something that small?

Admiral Archer likes this.
  6. Admiral Archer

I guess the easiest answer would be that I wanted to give a sense of scale, to make it obvious that the Excelsior was a much bigger ship than the Enterprise, at least in-universe. If I had put the Excelsior as the background ship, it would have appeared much less impressive, more like the Antares from "Charlie X" or the USS Grissom from Star Trek III. I wanted there to be a definite size comparison. Unfortunately, that proved to be a bit more difficult than I originally anticipated...