Music That Speaks To You

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by thestrangequark, Jul 28, 2016.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Songs I turn to for Halloween? Here's a couple favorites:

Random_Spock likes this.
  2. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

A couple of my favorite Halloween songs.

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Noseless Ash, this is my favorite Halloween song.

Shock the body! Shock the body body!

Random_Spock likes this.
  5. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Halloween.. I love a couple of songs by Warren Zevon
    The first is obvious

the second, not so much..

6. Ensign

Ensign Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love her music but almost every song of hers makes me feel sad lol.

Probably doesnt help that one of her songs reminds me of my ex-boyfriend and all the mistakes I made with him and his sadness and innocence. Sometimes I wonder if he is OK but I'm too scared to ask him as I dont think it would be a good idea to drag up the past and he probably wouldnt want to speak to me anyways...
    Wow, this was just supposed to be an Adele thread :wtf: That all just came out all of a sudden lol.
    Anyone else ever have any song or anything remind you of any regrets or anything in your past? Do you find it difficult or challenging to listen to certain songs or maybe watch a certain movie etc?
    In this past year its sort of gotten worse for me as I am sort of moving on with my life in a lot of ways and I feel I am leaving the old me behind a little bit as I'm growing up. Its scary and exciting and makes me constantly reflect on the past...

WELCOME TO THE ADELE THERAPY THREAD EVERYONE. :techman::techman:

7. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Does it have to be Adele? Because "The Heart of the Matter" by Don Henley is one that will make me cry even if I think I'm ready for it. It reminds me of too many feelings related to my parents' divorce, and everything I lost coming to South Carolina with my mom, and the way my dad's family treated me the first time I went back to visit.

8. Ensign

Ensign Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Do you listen to it often? Sounds like quite a bad time in your life.

Why did your dads family treat you so badly?

9. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Ensign, I'm merging your thread with the "Music That Speaks To You" thread since they share a similar premise.

10. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't usually go out of my way to listen to it, but it IS in rotation on my car audio player (along with a couple of thousand other songs), and I like it even though it has that effect on me, so when it comes up, I let it play.

They identified me with my mom because I went with her instead of staying with my dad. And she left him in a pretty bad way - a lot of which I didn't realize until well after we left. She had people he associated with believing that he beat her regularly. When the truth was that he *was* physically abusive, but not that way: mostly, he sometimes threw things - including furniture - and he tried to choke her out on a few occasions that I remember. Not justifiable by any means, but still not the same. And she was mentally abusing him in a lot of ways - she knew all the buttons to press about his family and the fact that he was illegitimate and just all sorts of other issues that they had. She also arranged to leave him in debt to some people of the sort that you don't want to be in debt to. It's probably horrible of me, but I have said on occasion of her that no woman deserves to be physically abused, and I mean that.... but if ever one did.... :crazy:

Honestly, both of their families were a mess, both of them were messes, and there's a lot more screwed up from when I was young that I could go into detail on, but I'll leave that for another time. I used to blame myself for choosing to go with her over him. But I've come to realize that I made the right decision for myself, and that's all I could have done. He was a control freak and would have made the bleeding ulcers that I had from a young age even worse - and possibly turned me into an uptight Republican voter to boot. ;) She, at least, mostly left me alone to do my own thing after dragging me to South Carolina (if you don't count trying to kidnap my son or paying to have an older friend of mine that she was dating - sort of, because nothing is simple with her - murdered so she could get his insurance and inheritance) - and I've done pretty well, especially after she went to prison.

Still glad you asked? ;)

Ensign likes this.
  11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I don't really listen to Christian contemporary anymore, what with being an atheist there's not much to glean from much of it lyrically, but I still love listening to D.C. Talk and Jars of Clay, primarily their albums from the mid to late 1990s. While D.C. Talk just has some of the best harmonies of any Christian group and is wonderful to listen to, it's Jars of Clay that makes me dig in introspectively. See, their first album, "Jars of Clay" released back in 1995, has to be their most heartfelt and authentic album I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. They broach genuinely painful subjects like self-doubt, heartbreak, abandonment, self-delusion, anger, and even abuse (listen to "He" for that one), but this one never fails to speak to me every time I hear it:

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Much apologizings for the bump, but I don't want to see this thread die. @thestrangequark was entirely right in starting it, and it's one of my favorite threads I've ever seen here. So let's keep it going, people!

That said, here is one song that can't help but hit me. I literally cannot stop crying when I hear it. (I'm crying right now, just thinking about it. :wah: ) The last time I heard it, it was on the P.A. system at work, and I had to go outside and wait until the song was over before I could come back in.

I mean, it's not the specific subject matter or anything...it's just that sometimes I feel so dead inside and I don't know if I can ever actually feel passionate about anything. Maybe it just takes really sad songs like this to shock me, and remind me that I am still capable of feeling strong emotion. And that's why I want this thread to continue. I want it to help other people like it is helping me.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    thestrangequark likes this.
  13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I've posted this elsewhere today, but this spoken word by Kate Tempest speaks to me:

Europe is Lost

14. GabyBee

GabyBee Captain Captain

15. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Thanks for bumping, @Mr. Laser Beam .

I watched a show last week, The Living and the Dead. The song they used for the show's theme is a new recording of an old English song, the lyrics of which I'd read in some book or other long ago, but which I'd never heard sung. When it came on I had one of those "I know this! I know this! How do I know this?" moments.

I'm not at all religious, but I've always been drawn to certain religious iconography and hymns, specifically those that demonstrate the melding of Christianity with Paganism. This song is Christian, but the symbolism clearly has some Germanic Paganism origin. I think the main themes -- the contrast of light and darkness and journey to salvation through charity/reaping what you sew, are universally appealing. Plus, the singer, dayamn! I've been listening to it on a loop for days.

Amaris likes this.
  16. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

This song is brand new, but it does speak to me.... though I won't say why. You can guess.

17. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

The most speaks-to-me-song-ever is "For an Old Kentucky Anarchist" by the Orphans. It's the story of a man who discovers an old woman living atop a forgotten hill, who talks to him about her life.

"These are the stories that this mother spoke to me as I brought her garden back to grow
    I was rewarded with a warm meal, tales never to be heard -- some call it poverty, but they'll never know
    She said, 'All I got's my stories and this old guitar, my crops have come and gone away..
    'I got a head full of recipes enticin' to the taste and a likin' to wake up and greet the day
    'Gotta bad back from raisin' my children, from huggin' my husband so tight
    'Hell, I never cared much for any government
    'I got my Jesus when I feel the time is right"
    Singing, I'm the richest man I'll ever be
    I embrace the world I have all around me
    So sing a dyin' song and slap your knee
    Have a taste of true anarchy!"

For me it's a celebration of the intimate and humane in a world that is more preoccupied with bigness, efficiency, sterility, etc.

18. Vorpal_Blade

Vorpal_Blade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

'That's the way that it is' by Uriah Heep. I have always loved this song. To me, it's about futility and the inability to change some things.

Chaos Descending likes this.
  19. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

With a haunting melody and pain in her voice, this really speaks to me.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

This song is a VERY important part of my life. Not simply because of my faith (although that is part of why I love it so much ;) ) but also because I love to SING it. There aren't a lot of songs in the world that I can actually sing - but this is one of them.

It's one thing to enjoy listening to a song - but actually SINGING it, that's another matter entirely. It lifts you up in a way you can't even imagine, until you try it.

(I'm a bass, by the way. ;) )

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Refuge likes this.