Music That Speaks To You

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by thestrangequark, Jul 28, 2016.

1. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I hope this isn't considered stepping on the toes of the What Song Are You Listening To thread, but I wanted to start a music thread that encourages more discussion. Many of us, especially in our formative years, relate passionately to music. Specific songs are described as "defining generations", "capturing the spirit" of a time, and spurring change well beyond the music and art world. I'm sure we've all heard songs that made us feel as though they were written about or for us...hell, the song "Killing Me Softly" is about that very experience. This year we've lost artists who made people around the world feel that way.

So, what songs or pieces of music really speak to you?

Rules:
    1. Only one song per post please (a couple if they're really related -- like covers or two songs about the same specific thing, for example).
    2. Provide a youtube link if you can.
    3. Tell why you chose the song -- this is a discussion thread, after all!
    4. I am a strong believer in tangents. Read and listen to other people's posts and let the music take you where it takes you!

2. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cool idea! Music, to me, is the art-form that speaks most to my emotions. I am, in no way, a talented singer, but I love to sing. For me, music is poetry. Every song is a duet--the music, the lyrics--the conveys a message, an emotion, expresses life's circumstances. Songs that speak to me, today, are songs that are well-written, not entirely obvious, with good vocals, and better arrangements. I am drawn to Country music, which I have been listening to for 24 years, because I consider it the last bastion of good songwriting. I enjoy the instruments--the banjo, mandolin, acoustic guitar, steel guitar, violin, piano, fiddle, etc.--as they are performed by actual musicians, not on a sound board. I have so many different songs I want to bring up--Sugarland's entire "Love on the Inside" album, Garth Brooks's "Fresh Horses" and "Sevens" album, Miranda Lambert's "Platinum" album, Leann Rimes's "Family" album--the list is endless of songs I would like to talk about. However, I will start with something I have posted on the site in another thread, something that I am currently obsessed with:

This song is a week old, as far as when it was released to the public. The imagery and emotions of the songs are unmatched with anything on the charts right now, anything in the last 10 years. It is reflective, and not a situation that speaks to me, but I feel I could empathize with anyone saying this to me. It's about music and alcohol and sex, and using them all to get over a relationship. Using them, and losing yourself. It's so easy to lose yourself, and that is what I relate to. I have yet to learn all the lyrics, sing the song from beginning to end, but that hasn't stopped me from playing in ten times a day. I LOVE this song, it's my favorite, thus far, of this year:

Favorite Songs (thus far) for 2016:

1. Vice by Miranda Lambert
    2. Way Back Home by Jennifer Nettles
    3. Humble and Kind by Tim McGraw
    4. Holdin Her by Chris Janson
    5. From The Ground Up by Dan + Shay
    6. Salvation Works by Jennifer Nettles
    7. Untamed by Cam
    8. Whiskey And You by Chris Stapleton
    9. Church Bells by Carrie Underwood
    10. Fight Like A Girl by Kalie Shorr
    11. Peter Pan by Kelsea Ballerini
    12. H.O.L.Y. by Florida Georgia Line
    13. My Church by Maren Morris
    14. Record Year by Eric Church
    15. Tuxedo by Clare Dunn

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  3. thestrangequark

@HaventGotALife you're response brings up so many songs for me that I'm going to struggle to obey my own rule of choosing just one per post! :lol:
    You brought up those songs that are a perfect marriage of lyrics and melody -- pretty much every good song nearly achieves that (or, alternatively achieves greatness by stark contrast between lyrics and melody), but only a rare few really attain a really pure union. I know of at least one I want to share.

But since you brought up country, I'll go there first. One of the reasons I started this thread was the opportunity it'd provide to listen to music I wouldn't normally exposed to. The Miranda Lambert song you shared was great, thank you for sharing it! Her voice is gorgeous. I am a country fan, but I tend to be familiar only with classics. I agree that American country really has a tradition of exceptional songwriting, particularly the tradition of story-telling.

I'm a musician myself, and one from a family of musicians who play all the instruments you named (my daddy's New Orleans born and bred, so banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, steal guitars, guitars...) they littered every family member's house -- my personal favorite was a mother of pearl inlaid steal guitar from the 30's of my dad's! I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the songs of the south.

I just saw Dolly Parton earlier this month -- National Treasure isn't a term I throw around lightly, but she most truly is one of our greatest. She played each of the instruments you mentioned (and the sax!) all rhinestone-encrusted, naturally! From my earliest memories her voice like flowers and candy was a comfort, and she was an icon. As a grown woman one of her songs I've found most affecting is "Just Because I'm a Woman." It is truly a feminist anthem, decades ahead of it's time, saying everything I want to say about the patriarchy with powerful simplicity and beauty:

HaventGotALife likes this.
  4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a fairly conservative kind of guy, as most of you know. I try not to be unreasonably so, but generally I consider myself center-right. That said, this song always speaks to me:

Now don't take this the wrong way. While I am proud to be an American, I certainly don't think my country is perfect. It doesn't always do the right thing. Sometimes it's done terribly wrong things. But even after all that, I refuse to be ashamed of where I'm from (indeed, no one should EVER feel that way, regardless of their country of origin) - I am, and ever shall be, happy about being an American, and I will always have hope for my country's future.

thestrangequark likes this.
  5. HaventGotALife

I used to be a Conservative because of my belief that the family was the basis of civilization. I felt that morality--being a good person--was more important than any institution. I thought individual courage and strength was necessary to have a strong country. I felt that we needed to be protected from a dangerous world.

None of those values have changed, but my definitions changed, slightly. A family doesn't have to be blood, or just a man-and-woman, or morality means more than just avoiding infidelity, or making the sign of the cross, but protecting ALL Americans--white and black, Latino and gay--and not scapegoating Christians OR Muslims. Defense isn't just with missiles and soldiers, but with diplomacy. It means fiscal responsibility, no matter where it comes from. We cannot rely on reputations. We cannot be allergic to new information, even if it disagrees with our current belief structure. My Conservatism was tempered by the reality of the times. The reality of 1.2 trillion dollars in debt, versus a surplus. The Gulf of Tonkin Incident AND Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq. 23 million jobs or 9.8 million jobs versus The Great Recession and "It's the Economy, Stupid."

It's not that one person or party has one the truth at their fingertips. It's not possible. We are animals with perceptions, experiences, personality, and intelligence. There is too much to see, too much to do, to fit in one lifetime. Rugged Individualism denies the beauty of society. My mother almost died from complications from cancer. I relied on her nurses and doctors to save her life. Rugged Individualism would've left her doctor untaught, the grocery store un-built, the money unearned, the life unsaved, and I would've lost my mother. People rely on me to take their money, so they can travel to work, get a cup of coffee, and have a genuine person say to them, "Have a good day at work" or "I hope your day gets better." I rely on my bank, my grocery store, my internet provider, my employer to keep paying me. We are in a symbiotic relationship with 320 million other people, at least 320 million people. How many people touched the food that went to market? How many people invested in the business that got them to market?

I love this land, too. And since this is a post about music, I will give you a patriotic song that inspires me.

Don't mistake my meaning. I am not trying to brow-beat you into a Liberal or a Democrat. I am just sharing my personal experience. I wouldn't think that one post on the internet could change someone's political affiliation, or if I even need to do that, as you are a perfect stranger, to me. I was just sharing. I hope it is taken in its proper context, not to start a fight, but just share our opinions.

This song values the warts, doesn't deny the history and the problems we have. It puts our patriotism, of which mine is strong, and I hope yours is too, in proper context. Bentley was widely criticized for not painting a more "patriotic" song, a more optimistic one. I, personally, think it's as patriotic as we get. In America, we are never done perfecting our union, we are never satisfied. We push, we strive, and we have to admit a problem exists, before we can begin to solve it.

6. thestrangequark

@Mr. Laser Beam , I've always hated that song! :lol: But that's okay -- no one here has to share tastes, and I appreciate you sharing it and I respect the meaning it has for you. It's just that for me -- atheist, half Indian -- it just feels exclusive. I appreciate the message of the "Home" @HaventGotALife , but that wasn't for me either. ;) I guess I'm just terrible at identifying with patriotic songs.

When I think of a song about my country I think of this:

Jim Boyd passed away only last month. He was a Colville Indian singer songwriter. This song is about what it means to be American Indian today. Just to start -- I've got a map in my pocket that has your name written in blue/I'll follow you like a river if you'll just guide me through -- so many rivers named for tribes. He sings about the stereotypes, and the oppression, and the urge to escape, and his voice is so beautiful.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

I also have a soft spot for O Canada. Not only because I have become very fond of Canada these last few years and I love vacationing there - I also like the song itself, you know?

At least it's a truly NATIONAL anthem. I mean I have nothing particularly against The Star-Spangled Banner but that's basically just about the flag....

That said, even though I firmly believe that America The Beautiful should be our national anthem, unfortunately I always start to cry when I sing it. Especially when it gets to the part about the alabaster cities. At that point I am LOSING it. :wah:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  8. thestrangequark

You know what I love @Mr. Laser Beam , that even though we don't share the same passion, we share the passion that music invokes. That's exactly what I was hoping to see from this thread! Thanks for sharing it!

9. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Searching folk music around the world is great fun. Mongolia has some lovely music for uplifting listening.

10. HaventGotALife

I disagree about the "Star-Spangled Banner." The song, while it is about seeing the flag, after a battle, it's about the country enduring. I suggest looking into the next 3 verses, as well. Perilous the times may be, we knew we endured, not because of a news broadcast or a march, but because (and there is some poetic license taken here, as the flag could not be seen from where the author stood), we see the flag is still flying outside of the fort. No matter our challenges, as great as they may be, we endure. The "Star Spangled-Banner" puts me in tears. It does. Freedom endures. Brave people endure. Blessed by God. Standing between war's destruction and their loved homes, we endure. The flag? Our symbol, but it's talking about overcoming the threat of destruction.

Moving on from patriotic songs, although I understand the association between Country music and patriotism, I want to bring up my favorite Sugarland song. Its message is contained in its one-word title: "Love." It is poetry, first. But its conclusion, its soaring vocals, the duet between Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush, at the end, makes this my favorite of one of my favorite bands.

11. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

1984, I was a senior in high school. Reagan is about to be re-elected in a landslide.

Mining the harbors of Nicaragua. The downing of the KAL flight. "We begin bombing in 5 minutes". The "Evil Empire".

There was a time when I really thought nuclear war was a possibility, and it scared the crap out of me.

This song captured my anxiety perfectly.

12. HaventGotALife

It scares me that we could have a nuclear terrorist attack. I have to place my faith in the military and intelligence community, and the vigilance of those in police, even ordinary citizens, that that never happens. I worry about North Korea. I worry about the decay of the weapons we have, just a few concerns while we are on the subject. I hate that damn bomb. It could ruin everything. That said, there's nothing we can do about it. It's out of our hands. We have to trust those in power, and make sure that we work hard to put the right people in power.

I'd rather talk about what unites us, not what scares, or divides us. And I think this is a perfect segue into the next song I have for you to listen to. This was my personal favorite from 2015, a song that was not released. It's called "Somebody to Love," and each lyric had to be thought about, broken down, by me, because it's that good, and it's just who I am. We are united by needing love--from God, a parent, a child, a lover, a friend--and I truly feel we have not lived, until we love someone more than we could ever love ourselves. I think love is the most potent emotion; the one that brings on the most positive feelings. It has its downside, and there's plenty of time for that later, but right now, I choose to focus on Love and its positive effects.

I am also including an interview about the song, with the artists, and songwriters. I hope that is OK.

13. thestrangequark

Interview is totally cool!

I really welcome the different perspectives, actually! I'd be curious what other songs people think of when they think of their home countries. Are they more patriotic? More cynical? Based more in ideals or in moments in history. I also want people to feel comfortable sharing any type of song in here.
    Like I said, I genuinely appreciated that @Mr. Laser Beam shared a song I dislike, because it helps me understand more about why he loves it, and why other people might too. It also gave me the chance to share my perspective on why it's not an inclusive song for me, personally, and I hope he enjoyed listening to a song that captured more closely my perspective on our mutual home country.

Positive songs are a big yes too, though! Running with the themes you brought up in your last post @HaventGotALife , I'll share another classic. I'm sure everyone knows it, and maybe it's a cliché that it will still make me cry. Many might also know the origin of the song -- which may or may not be apocryphal, but it doesn't matter: A tiny Scottish girl struggling along carrying a younger boy almost as big as her, when someone asked if he wasn't too heavy, and she instantly replied, "He's na heavy, he's me brother."

I have a couple people close to me who've attempted suicide multiple times in the past. Whether it's family by blood or by love, I've struggled at times to make those I love see that they are not a burden, no matter how much I may lean under their weight. They're not heavy, because I love them. That's why this song speaks to me:

14. Mr. Laser Beam

@thestrangequark, I'm so glad we are all having so much fun sharing our own perspectives like this. Yes, I do remember that you are part Native American, and I'm well aware that the treatment of your people is one of those things that my country has done terribly wrong...but that's how we heal, is talking about it in a friendly way like this. Nobody is blaming anyone or getting angry, we're just having a good time sharing songs we like, and that is how we bring about change. :techman:

That said, I have another song to mention...and I'm sorry if I seem to be monopolizing the thread but I guess I didn't realize until now, how many songs really DO speak to me! :lol: Anyhoo, it concerns a vacation that I'm about to take, one that I go on every year, because it's a vacation to my favorite city of all time, which is of course New York City. I can't even begin to describe how much I love New York. The food, the sights, the BASEBALL, the people, the trains, the museums, the tourist traps, the delis...I could easily live in NYC, I love it so much. I think about it ALL.THE.TIME. So here is the song! :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Random_Spock and thestrangequark like this.
  15. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

The raw, energetic simplicity of the music and lyrics of Son Of A Gun by Nirvana definitely speaks to me. Even though it came out when I was in my 20s, I listen to that and I'm 16 again. That song is my brain when I was that age. :) I also have good memories of playing it in the band I was in back in the 90's. We had to play it last as it tended to finish the drummer off - he loved Nirvana, he loved that song, but he hated playing it. :) And as we had two guitarists, we made a hell of a racket thrashing out this lovely noise.

Random_Spock and thestrangequark like this.
  16. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Unfortunately I can't find the song I want to post here but here is another of my favorite artist, Tina Vero. Now, we're actually good friends so this is a little bit of a cheat. I met her at a Barnes & Noble in Paramus NJ, she was performing in the coffee shop. I was so captivated with her voice and her songs. I purchased her album that night and discovered the song, Living with the Demon. Her music and particularly that song helped me a lot, I had recently broken up with my Fiancee of 7 years. Here is the music video for her latest album, I truly think it's something special.

maneth and thestrangequark like this.
  17. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

So many possible songs. For me, music is a conduit through which my emotions flow. Not surprisingly, then, music often speaks to me on a visceral level.

I think I'll go with this one to start with, though. It needs no lyrics. It's just ... well, it gets me every time. It's equal measures bittersweet and hopeful and inspiring. It was the soundtrack of the most wonderful and crushing and confusing and memorable and painful time in my life - not because of the film, but because of what it represents ... at least, to me.

maneth and thestrangequark like this.
  18. HaventGotALife

I am really enjoying this. I tend to be very jaded about my music choices--the war in Country music, my disdain for pop and rap that are synthetic, can be misogynistic--and this is exposing me to some very good songs from other places. Mr. Laser Beam, if you are monopolizing the thread, then what I am doing? ;) I don't think there is a limit to the amount of impact that songs can bring to your life. And sharing is what this thread seems to be all about. So, I hope that my presence here hasn't been disruptive, and I sincerely hope that anything that has been said, has been taken in the spirit of simply sharing.

And that being said, I want to get very serious here for a moment. I feel compelled to share, after your last comment, thestrangequark, my own struggles with being a burden. It was about 8 years ago, that I attempted to take my own life. It was actually a movie quote, in the midst of my darkest thoughts, that helped me understand that I couldn't stay that nihilistic--"Get busy living, or get busy dying." I looked myself in the mirror and simply said, "You have to stop, this can no longer be an option. It's against your beliefs, from now on. Whatever life throws at you, you have to be willing to embrace it, handle the situation, and move on." I had no intention of sharing this song, as it's not one of my favorites, but I have had low moments since that time, and the perspective of the song is after losing someone to suicide. It has helped me to understand the impact that not being here, has on everyone who cares about you. That life is not worthless, and I am not worthless, people do care. It's been about 5 years since I have had to listen to the song, so here it is:

And with that, I am done being that serious. I am having a lot of fun in this thread, and my hope is that we are exploring the power of music to influence our lives, speak when we don't have a voice, and just make us dance. :)

19. thestrangequark

Echoing the sentiment, @Mr. Laser Beam , no one is spamming. I like that people are sharing a lot of songs. I only made the rule of one song per post (or a couple for exceptional cases, as I said in the OP) so that it would encourage more sharing and discussion.

@Ancient Mariner , I love that you chose something instrumental. I grew up playing classical music, and a lot of instrumental music speaks more deeply to me than anything with lyrics. The trick is thinking of a piece less than 18 minutes long. :lol:

@HaventGotALife , there have been occasions for me personally, in my deepest depressions, when music was the only thing that kept me going. It was the only thing that reminded me there was beauty in the world worth staying around for. Thank you for sharing your story and song. I have a couple like that that I'll share soon, but right now I wanted to share an empowering song with you in particular, because you said you wanted something fun! Also, because you noted the problematic misogyny that plagues lots of hip-hop and rap, and that you appreciate the goal of exploring the power of music in this thread. So, I don't know if you've heard this, and even if you find it not at all to your tastes, I encourage you to listen to it!
    This is one of my favorite newer artists, Janelle Monae. She is an absolute powerhouse, shattering stereotypes across race, gender, and genre lines. She's adopted a Bowie-esque sci-fi persona. In this video she playfully shreds hip-hop and R&B stereotypes, she is never sexually objectified, she questions gender norms, religion, and racial and class oppression, all while reminding us "the booty don' lie"! I live for the epic rap at the end invoking Philip K Dick: Will you be electric sheep, electric ladies? Will you sleep? Or will you preach?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I love the Beatles. They are by far my favorite band. They have a song for every moment and mood. Strawberry Fields was my go to song when I was feeling lost and confused. It helped me cope.