MOXIE Creates Oxygen on Mars.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Dryson, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Dryson

Dryson Commodore Commodore

2. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

About 10 minutes of air per hour... So room to improve :cool:

Honestly if it works alot better it could help on Earth.

Dryson likes this.
  3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. tavor

tavor Lieutenant Red Shirt

the byproduct i think was stated as carbon monoxide ,what could it be used for?

5. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Why?
    All we really need to do on Earth is replant about 1.5 to 2 Trillion trees, clean up our oceans (and also stop industrial fishing) to avoid climate change, stop excavation of fresh resources and use landfills and trash (aka reclaim them for raw material to make new goods and services and renewable energy and return any excess back into the Earth in most usable form that would repair the biosphere and restore bio-diversity).

This is actually easily done with automation and in less than 10 years if we put in actual effort.
    We don't need anything too fancy... just common sense and stop with the stupid notion of 'indefinite growth' which cannot exist on a finite planet.

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

8. Dryson

So, if there were six MOXIES, that would equal an hours worth of air created in an hour. 12 MOXIES, two hours of air in an hour, 18 MOXIES, three hours of air in an hour. 24 MOXIES, four hours of air in an hour. With MOXIE being the size of a car battery, creating breathable oxygen on Mars is no longer a dream.

The question is, if 100 MOXIES were left to generate oxygen in a sealed Martian underground cave for three days, how much air would be created and would the air escape or sublimate?

Is populating Mars with hundreds of thousands of MOXIES able to create breathable air on Mars that would last long enough for people to walk around outside without heavy space suits but a different type of space suit that extracted the oxygen from the air to allow the astronauts to breathe for longer periods of times outdoors?

Just wait until MOXIE becomes part of a space suit and is able to generate oxygen for the suit wearer.

9. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's 10 minutes for 1 person, so 6 moxies for 1 hour for 1 person (no room for failure)
    But true, you can have a cargo ship go ahead and start processing and storing .

As for the air in mars. It's still way to cold, and pressure is just a fraction of earth. So we would have to thikin it up some how.. Maybe by melting a glacier with an ancient alien heater.. ... Maybe..

Dryson likes this.
  10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

If I were Q for just one bloody second, I’d have Mars and Venus switch atmospheres.

11. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man, at least start Venus rotating daily and Mars's outer core flowing, while you're at it.

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That would have been second two. Well, I could have made both habitable shell worlds in a moment

13. Dryson

I have always liked the idea of using the glacial ice on Mars to produce oxygen from. There isn't any trees or plants of dolphins on Mars that would be effected, so where is the harm in using the frozen ice? Zero, there is absolutely zero harm to Mars in using the polar ice for whatever reason need be on Mars.

I didn't factor in the ratio of consumption, just how many MOXIES would be needed to produce x amount of oxygen.

If MOXIES could produce 1,000 hours of air in an hour, that's a lot of MOXIES by the way, how many people would 1,000 hours of air support at an extreme rate of consumption, such as digging or exercising?

publiusr likes this.
  14. Dryson

How would MOXIE function on Enceladus?