Movies you think are overated.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ktanner3, May 5, 2008.

1. MikeGainer

MikeGainer too fat to fish Fleet Captain

Martin Scorsese's "The Departed" is slightly overrated for winning the oscar. I think Martin should've gotten the oscar for some of his other movies like Goodfellas but hey, better late than never.

2. Paxil

Paxil Vice Admiral

Minority Report. Awful, awful movie.

3. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Overrated, but Scorsese should have gotten Oscars before so I'm glad they finally handed one down.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The Departed is, I agree, overrated. Independent of Infernal Affairs, I might call it a good movie, but with those films, I cannot. The Departed isn't nearly as good as the original, in my opinion, in any conceivable measure.

Scorsese deserved an Oscar, for sure, but not for The Departed.

5. ktanner3

ktanner3 Guest

Pfft. I don't go by acadamy awards.Lately that seems to go to movies that was seen by the LEAST number of people. But I agree with you that "The Departed" was far from Scorsese's best movie.Give me "Raging Bull" or "Goodfellas" anyday.

6. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Saw it once and that was enough. Never again. Thankfully both the main stars have done better stuff than Titanic.

7. Kio

Kio Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Pretty Woman - back when it was released, people couldn't stop talking about it. It's Cinderella as a whore, which just made me roll my eyes.

Gandhi - goddamn, that's a long movie

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only film that Leo ever did that I enjoyed was Romeo + Juliet. He was actually pretty good as Romeo. (The film's premise - shifting the setting to modern day California but keeping the dialogue - was, IMHO, totally cool.)

9. mrcoaster

mrcoaster Fleet Admiral Admiral

The movie Titanic makes me want to cut myself. What dreck!

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Every time I think of that movie, I keep reminding myself that as much as I might wish my life was better, at least I'm not the guy that Rose marries after Jack's death. What a thankless job *that* must have been.

Especially seeing how Rose, in her own 'afterlife', proceeds to imagine herself with *Jack*, and not this other guy. :(

11. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2001: A Space Odyssey - This is a work of pure shite. I'm half convinced that Kubrick and Clarke just thought up a bunch of random scenes while high and then left it up to the audience to figure out if there's a story. I have never been so bored with a film. And yes, I did "get it," you pretentious snob.

Napoleon Dynamite - Well... it's kinda funny. But ask nearly any college kid and they'll tell you it's one of the greatest films ever made.

Being John Malkovich - Adaptation was great. Eternal Sunshine was amazing. But this one is just... meh. Never cared for it.

The Producers (original) - A lot of people place this as one of Mel Brooks' best films, but to me it's disjointed and lackluster, with an unsatisfying and abrupt Looney Tunes-style ending without any sort of closure. The musical, otoh, is brilliant.

The Sound of Music - A movie with no real conflict. How's that supposed to be fun? And no, bringing in the Nazis in the last 20 minutes doesn't count.

Minority Report - Could've been decent had it ended 30 or so minutes earlier, with Cruise getting frozen.*

AI: Artificial Intelligence - Could've been decent had it ended 30 or so minutes earlier, with Osment on the bottom of the ocean.*

*And no, those last two were not jabs at the actors, though I do despise them both. I just think those would have been great endings, rather than the terrible Hollywoodish endings we got.

12. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Begone, HEATHEN!!!!! :D

Nah, kidding. But then I'm a screaming queen so it's in my DNA to love this movie.

Oh, and another vote for the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Although technically perfect, I simply couldn't stand them. Never, ever again.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

As Jeff Foxworthy can tell you, the Southern version of The Sound of Music is worth it:

Doe, a deer I shot last month
    Ray, a guy that pumps my gas,
    Me and him got in a fight,
    Fa is where I kicked his ass...
    :guffaw:

14. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Well, for me, the appeal of Citizen Kane is that it is a great character study. The search for "Rosebud" is simply an device to have the reporter looking through Kane's past and interviewing all the people who knew him.

I'm not sure I'd say its the "Best Film Ever," but it is pretty high on my list.

15. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Consider it a "You deserved one much earlier than this for superior films, so we're giving it to you now to make up for it". It's in a similar vein to Paul Newman finally getting a Beast Actor award for "The Color of Money", or Henry Fonda receiving same for "On Golden Pond. Both were quality performances but not as good as earlier works.

16. siskokid888

siskokid888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Either Quark's, or a bar on St. Mark's Place
    I'm with you on this one. The first and only time I saw it it bored me out of my skull and I wondered what all the hoopla about it was. The only movie that ever made me cheer for the Nazis.

A few more I thought of:

Birth of a Nation - I don't care about its cinematic innovativeness or being the first epic or whatever. It's a vile disgusting piece of trash that should never be shown except to shame us for what we used to be (and still are sometimes).

Chronicles of Narnia - Religious propaganda, and boring to boot

More as I think of them

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  17. Mutara Nebula 1967

Mutara Nebula 1967 Captain Captain

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS.

You now its really not that interesting...except for the ship in the desert scene. Now if the aliens had killed Dreyfuss on the spot like the white flag waving men in WAR OF THE WORLDS now that would have been a great ending.

18. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't really call this an "overrated" film. It was fairly panned to begin with

Another one I'd mention is Borat. I do like it a lot, very funny film. It's just IMO the Borat skecthes on Da Ali G Show were a lot funnier. I'd rather just watch a bunch of them together, much better.
    Slightly overrated, some folk make out like its the funniest thing they've ever seen. But a lot of it seemed too forced for me

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  19. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Gladiator! I forgot that POS movie!

20. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Serenity -

you couldn't move on talkboard for "brown tongues" (I guess named after all that shit they lick out of JW's ass) hyping this piece of crap.