Most ridiculous fashion trend?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Apr 28, 2010.

1. bluedana

bluedana Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jeans that are not only hanging, but actually belted below the buttock. So that your boxers show. My daughter asked me, in her 5-year old "I don't know how to whisper" voice: Mom, why is that guy walking around with his pants falling down?

I could only reply (also not in a whisper): Maybe he's mentally challenged?

Cops love the fashion though; it means they don't have to run as fast.

2. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really like make-up and nail polish on certain guys. But then, I guess I'm into gender ambiguity any way.

Maybe not the worst thing of all time, but Zubaz were pretty damn awful.

3. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I hate platform shoes and croc shoes.

I must admit I once owned a pair of platform shoes. The bloody things made walking difficult. My best friend fell over while wearing platforms and broke her leg.

The same friend wears croc shoes today. She has them in about 8 different vivid colours. She doesn't buy genuine croc shoes, hers are all cheap knockoffs.

4. kustirider2

kustirider2 Commander Red Shirt

Those stupid MC Hammer pants. I don't want to look like I'm wearing one massive diaper, thank you :lol:

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ego.

6. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe Kriss Kross started that in the mid 90s, didn't seem to stick though.

I don't like piercings either, and I've warmed up to tattoos somewhat, but I still don't like them much either.

7. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

Here, here!

Egads, that's just an ugly fashion. *barf*

One time when I stopped for gas on a really hot & humid summer day, two youths walked up to me looking for some charity donation, etc.

One was dressed nicely, collared shirt, clean trousers, etc.

The other had baggy, droopy pants that were belted below his butt. If that wasn't bad enough, since he had been sitting down on the ground at some point, and given the hot summer day... his boxers were, to say the least, looking rather sweaty and soiled. *gross*

Bet you can guess who got my charity donation that day.

(Funniest part was when El Slobbo started spouting off about why I didn't give him a couple of dollars. I was like, 'You have to ask?? Besides the fact that you look like crap, you're sealing your fate that much more by talking back to me...' :rolleyes: :rolleyes:)

Cheers,
    -CM-

8. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

Wearing baggy pants that allow your boxers to hang out. Not sure this could really be considered "fashion", but apparently a large contingent of people did it, and I have to assume they thought that it looked cool. It didn't.

I agree with Crocs. I'm not a fan of any open-toed footwear on guys, unless they're near the beach or a pool (for girls I never have a problem with it, except for Birkenstocks, which I dislike universally). I know it's comfortable, but I cringe when I see it. It's especially bad if white socks are involved. Only Kyle Gass of Tenacious D can pull that pull that off with any level of tolerance. Crocs are BAD on anyone!

I also agree with "tramp stamps". I'm not a big tattoo fan in general, but can understand that people see it as art. I can appreciate that people have that freedom of expression, and I can sometimes appreciate the artisticness (not sure that's even a word), but the tramp stamp on the lower back never works for me.

9. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any fashion trend that causes people to deliberately harm or permanently alter their bodies is ridiculous in my book. Earrings are so widespread that I can handle them, although I would never ask anyone to get their ears pierced.

Unsafe footwear is also a puzzlement to me. Why can't people be comfortable and snappy dressers at the same time?

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Because it involves physical damage, poking holes in yourself. I feel similarly about tattoos, although there can be artistry there. And it's also a matter of degree. If somebody pierces their ears, they're just a conformist; if they pierce their genitalia, there are mental health issues involved.

Yeah, I agree with that.

And that, too.

Another thing I don't like is ties. Who the hell ever thought of wearing a noose? Not only are they ugly, pointless and stupid, but they cut off the circulation to your brain. Various studies have been done over the years demonstrating that reaction time and cognitive thinking are both reduced by wearing a tie, yet people consider them not only fashionable, but a business requirement. :wtf:

11. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

No matter how intelligent the words coming out of your mouth are, if you wear your baseball cap backwards, I will mentally deduct points from anything you say.

12. RobertVA

RobertVA Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To maintain the revenue streams of the designers, manufacturers and retailers. It's tough to make money off the clothes people already own. Make the stuff you sold last year "out of fashion" and you might even discourage hand me downs and the sale of clothes at thrift stores and second hand shops!

13. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Nothing wrong with ego. Mine, for example, is fantastic.

I'm rediscovering ties in recent years. I hated them when I was a boy and I had to dress up for something, so I never used them in my teen and college years. I thought they were boring and uncomfortable. But recently I discovered that ties can be snazzy and unconventional, so I've started to use them again, with suits, blazers, and even V-neck sweaters. Now I have a nice, flashy collection.

As for business, I guess having a brain is not required. ;)

14. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Maybe we should define our terms here. Are we talking about the entire history of fashion from the first Paleolithic loincloths and fur breeches? Or are we narrowing it down to fashions since, say, 1900? That would pretty much rule out the bustle. And the codpiece.

One of the more ridiculous trends of the past couple of decades was baseball caps worn backwards. I mean, WTF? And purposely ripped-up jeans. I used to think an awful lot of young people had gotten into knife fights with midgets.

EDIT: I see Flukie beat me to it with the baseball cap thing.

I've got nothing against women using perfume and cologne in moderation, but so many people, both male and female, just DOUSE themselves with the stuff, so the fragrance enters the room five minutes before they do. Do these people have an impaired sense of smell? Do they not realize how overpowering the odor is?

And musk. It just smells gross. It's about as sexy as the smell of five-day-old dirty laundry.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  15. Mr. Laser Beam

Earl Weaver used to flip his cap backwards so as to more efficiently get in an umpire's face. :lol: I gotta give him props for that!

16. scotpens

Actually there's a functional use for those sky-high, teased-up hairdos. A woman can carry a spare head in there!

And if you want to talk about impractical, high-maintenance hairstyles, does anybody remember the Jheri Curl?
    When it comes to low-cut women's jeans (assuming the wearer is reasonably fit and under 50), there's a fine line between looking sexy and looking like you bought the wrong size pants, or they shrank too much in the wash. My rule is: Measured vertically, if there's more flesh showing between the bellybutton and the waistband of the pants than there is fabric between the waistband and the crotch, the pants are TOO DAMN LOW. I mean, at that point, your private parts are practically introducing themselves to strangers.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

If the woman is decent enough looking, yeah, I'll give her pass on low-cut/riding jeans and maybe even a bonus for showing some nice-looking undies.

My major complaint is with young boys with the waist bands of their jeans practicaly being being held up by the ass-cheeks and then showing off their oh-so-cool boxers.

One is showing off a sex body, one is looking like a dumbass.

18. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

The keffiyeh as a fashion accessory, as distinguished from its use by Palestinians and various militaries.

No, and yes. Sensory adaptation to a constant stimulus is a very real and valuable process.

19. scotpens

Well, showing undies is where I draw the line. What sort of statement does that make? "I dressed in the dark this morning," or "I'm a slut AND a slob"?
    Just two words:

FAKE BOOBS!

DON'T GET ME STARTED on boob implants. Bad, bad, bad. Even the good ones are bad.

Better flat than fake -- that's my motto!

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Considering what musk is made out of, I'm not surprised.