Most gruesome/disturbing death scenes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by BlueStuff, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Off the top of my hear, I'd say either the Horta attack or the Salt Monster attack.

2. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So was Yeoman Thompson...

J.T.B. likes this.
  3. Coronacopia

Coronacopia Fleet Admiral Admiral

Too soon! :(

ZapBrannigan and J.T.B. like this.
  4. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rojan was going through some kind of metamorphosis into becoming a human being it seemed! So his remorse at killing the young woman may have come later on but if he went back to Kelva in Andromeda would he have returned to being a mass of giant emotionless tentacles?
    JB

5. TLOZ Lover

TLOZ Lover Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For anyone who has never read the full description of the transporter accident in the TMP novel, it was way worse than anything we see on screen.

6. TLOZ Lover

First let me say there is no good way to die in TOS! The Lights of Zetar has been my favorite episode since the early 70s (just look at my user name!). I always chuckle whenever I read how terrified people were the first time they saw this episode, especially as a kid. I don't say that to be mean, however. I was a kid when I saw TLOZ for the first time too, but I was just so happy that my man Scotty had finally found the right woman to fall in love with! :luvlove: The Zetars never fazed me a bit; however, the garbled sounds made by Mira and the technician and the way their mouths contorted when they were speaking were so ugly to watch. Anyway, love and romance prevailed! :techman:

7. johnnybear

I have and it was! :crazy:
    JB

Therin of Andor and TLOZ Lover like this.
  8. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm in the minority, but those two security guards that got beamed into space in "And The Children Shall Lead."

9. Coronacopia

Coronacopia Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was indeed disturbing. I've always thought it was a strong part of an otherwise generally pathetic episode.

10. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Commodore Commodore

I was completely shocked it was her, I could've swore it would've been Lt. Shea who got crushed, but there's nothing like Star Trek to flip the script when it was common to kill the black guy first in Hollywood.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In “By Any Other Name” I have tried to follow which cube was the woman to see if they get mixed up or not onscreen—to see if Rojan indeed knew who he was killing. To the best that I can follow it looks right onscreen as the one Rojan picks up is the woman and it is the one he crushes. Creepy as hell that they seemed to have got that onscreen detail right.

12. Spockskin

Spockskin Commodore Premium Member

Killing women during the sixties was not common, so, any occurrence was cruel to me. Thinking about it, I was particularly upset when they blew up poor Marta. Remembering it mostly from 1970's reruns as a teenager, they killed Batgirl :adore: in my mind. That was disturbing to me!

13. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here. Even speeding up the video and adding a Jefferson Airplane song to accompany doesn't change it.

Albertese and Methuselah Flint like this.
  14. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Turning people into packing cubes the shape of D&D dice or, worse, going to a planet where they're reduced to their crystalline attributes just can't be topped. It's high concept horror, a great stomping ground for sci-fi to blend into the horror genre if not vice-versa.

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Oh, crap--I had forgotten about that! I found that to be quite a shocker when I first saw that scene. Man, TOS didn't pull any punches with that sort of thing.

Spockskin, Phaser Two and Qonundrum like this.
  16. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When the show was redone with CGI fx, they could have had a splash of green blood and goo hit the window. That would have made it even more of a jolt, but it wanders into non-family viewing territory.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Gratuitous gore really isn’t needed. The coldbloodedness of the act is more than sufficient.

18. johnnybear

The air on Elba II was poisonous anyways!!!
    JB

19. TLOZ Lover

Lord Garth is a hoot to watch, but I agree that knocking off Marta that way was pretty messed up. :ack:

Sgt_G and Spockskin like this.
  20. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I did that too, like trying to figure out some kind of morbid shell game.

Spockskin and Therin of Andor like this.