most disappointing Trek movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Khan 2.0, Nov 19, 2019.

?

most disappointing

1. TMP

11 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. TFF

29 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. GEN

24 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. INS

19 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. NEM

57 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. STID

34 vote(s)
    17.1%
  7. BEY

8 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. TWOK

5 vote(s)
    2.5%
  9. TSFS

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. TVH

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  11. TUC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. FC

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  13. ST09

7 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. Thomas Elliot

Thomas Elliot Commander Red Shirt

Oh yeah, I forgot what about to Thomas Riker.
    Sela I was getting mixed up with Dr. Selar. I was wondering why she'd turn evil. This could have been interesting and tied into the series better. Shinzon doing what Picard coudn't or wouldn't do? Kind of like Miracleman's approach to humanity compared to Superman's.

2. ED-209

ED-209 Commodore Commodore

Star Trek 09 (not on the list).

3. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

have added the rest to the poll . didn't seem fair if for whatever reason you were disappointed by TWOK or TUC etc you couldn't vote lol

ED-209 likes this.
  4. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

quite right, unfortunately unable to edit existing ones :(

5. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kind of like TXF movie? ;)

JamesRye likes this.
  6. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

X files should have never tried movie format. At least trek can work that way if done right

JamesRye likes this.
  7. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I disagree, I thought the X-Files should've worked well in a motion picture format if the producers had a minds eye to make a motion picture instead of a rehash or a cliff notes movie based on the 5 seasons of the TV series (Fight the Future). The movies should've set aside their convoluted and, quite frankly, very boring mythos and make a stand alone movie; something I'd never seen before. All Chris Carter could think of was a modern day Frankenstein tale for a stand alone (I WANT TO BELIEVE)???

His brain can't go big ideas, so the franchise would be better off to people who actually produce and handle motion pictures and hire writers who does it as well. The X-Files can still be reborn but it needs a new Captain to lead the ship to extraordinary stories and mythical tales beyond the horizon.

drt likes this.
  8. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

I'll say that although I find TMP, V, Generations, FC, INS, NEM and BEY to be somewhat disappointing, the musical scores for all the Star Trek films have been superb - I can't think of a weak link. I suppose Generations score is weakest, but even that has some great motifs.

Somehow, Picard and Discovery lack the really memorable theme tunes, the music is servicable - but not memorable (IMHO). Like many around the world, I am sat at home, trying to work (with a toddler going crazy). Unlike many, I'm listening to a Trek Soundtrack every day whilst working - and the one for V is incredible!

9. STEPhon IT

But it should've and it didn't for a lot of TNG fans; just shows what a miscalculation the producers made when killing Data off. There weren't themes in Nemesis to support his death ala The Wrath of Khan where Spock gave Kirk a book titled "The Tale of Two Cities" a foreshadow of things to come. When I first saw Spock's death on dvd, I couldn't stop crying because I had no idea Spock was resurrected; I thought it was over. It was the set up and execution which made his death work. Nemesis didn't have those kinds of touches, also after every new TNG movie I saw I disliked Brent Spiner's character even more. I thought there was way too much Data in those awful movies. When he blew up I had a sigh of relief and said, "finally"; those movies ran out of steam really fast and I can see the studio lost interest in them despite that B4 bright spot where the producers were opening the door for a possible follow up.

10. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Concur, I barely remember any of that convoluted alien stuff or how it fit together, but recall fondly a number of the "monster-of-the week" shows.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  11. TimeIsAPredator

I don't remember Vs soundtrack but WoK is amazing. By far the best though is FC and the only thing for me that compares to star wars in the sense that I can just close my eyes and see every scene by listening to the music.

Pic uses nice flourishes for nostalgic scenes but the original score is poor and the CBS stuff has some of the least memorable theme tunes of the shows

12. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Star Trek V soundtrack is pretty amazing. It adds as much to the film as the visual effects take away.

I actually love the theme for PIC. Not as much a fan of the DSC theme, but I feel like they got PIC right.

JamesRye and Smellmet like this.
  13. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Much like Roddenberry with Star Trek I'll give Chris Carter credit for creating The X-Files but the best episodes weren't his. Not even close. Again, like Roddenberry, he assembled a great team.

14. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

At the time I saw it, Insurrection. Now I actually like Insurrection, a lot.

Currently, TVH. It's just a little too slapstick and didn't age well, IMO

15. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TWOK. Because people felt it would bring Star Trek back into the movies. And it was just a generic action movie really.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Generations. Oh what could have been.

17. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

But.....I'm pretty sure it did "bring Star Trek back into the movies," at least based on the story arc, style, and creative choices of the 4 films that followed on its coattails.

[​IMG]

18. TimeIsAPredator

Some people just say they hate TWOK to look cool

19. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who said I hated it? I enjoy it. But it's the most disappointing Trek movie for me personally.

20. STEPhon IT

To be fair, it all depends on how much that person liked TMP; as I've mentioned on other threads the film is what it was meant to be, an immersive experience ala 2001: A Space Odyssey - the exploration of the film is about the exploration of the human evolution and is there more to us than meets the eye? Anyone who goes with that kind of appreciation and intelligence of TMP would be disappointed at the little to zero IQ of the popcorn feel of TWOK... a movie which was more in tone to the action adventure feel of the TV series.

As much as I love TWOK, Robert Wise's resume speaks for itself, and his work outweigh anything Nicholas Meyer has ever done in his underwhelming career.