Most Alien Aliens

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by CuttingEdge100, Mar 9, 2015.

1. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

The most alien alien I can remember is on the 12th episode of Season 1 of Enterprise (Named 'Silent Enemy'). They were very ant-like.

2. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's too bad those guys were never seen before or since, I found them interesting and the in-universe mysteries about them will probably never be answered.

3. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

Me too. I remember the one scene where they were walking past an open corridor and how their weird gate made the hairs on the back of my head stand up. I would have liked to see them return.

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

The OP got me thinking. Where did we see the most Alien aliens?

I'm thinking Aliens (1986). Or maybe Alien Resurrection?

5. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you ask me Tholians seem more like mineral or silicon based lifeforms to me. They look like they're made up of crystals. Who knows how they might function?

Well...duh it's a giant universe out there, there aren't many things that are completely impossible. E
    Always liked the idea of astrozoans and species floating around in gas giants. We should see more of that.

There's lots of stuff on Earth that that looks and feels similar to fur without actually being fur or attached to a mammal:

1) Primitive Feathers
    2) There are some "fuzzy" insects
    3) Some molds grow a "fuzz"

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Tholians
    Medusans
    Kelvans
    Sheliak
    Horta

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

This.

9. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

Damn! Can I change my answer to noncorporeal beings? Good answer and I hate to be so off-base. :wtf:

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

We don't know what the Q actual look like, assuming they even have a natural form.

Perhaps they look like small chicken puppets, and without their magical powers would die and turn to smoke.

:)

11. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

Small...Chicken...Puppets. :guffaw:

12. Rulius

Rulius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What about the cloud creature from Obsession?

13. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Aliens using trunks have occasionally appeared in science fiction. This is actually plausible in terms of science. Thinking back some decades, I seem to remember something like this in the Trek animated series.

Book, copyright 2008. "Dolphin Mysteries" by Kathleen Dudzinkski and Toni Frohoff. Discussed cognition. Can animals be self aware? This has been tested with mirrors. Most species react to their mirror images as if confronting other individuals. The animals that seem to get it? Apes, elephants, and dolphins. Not only does this demonstrate intelligence, but also self awareness.

BTW, Chimpanzees seem to have trouble comprehending television, but dolphins seem to understand television right away.

14. Tim Walker

Book, copyright 2011. "Dolphin in the Mirror" by Diana Reiss. More about cognition. BTW, magpies have passed the mirror test.

The author discusses interspecies empathy. I think humans can feel an affinity with other mammals (but probably not cephalopods), but in the case of dolphins the empathy seems to be reciprocated.

Might be significant in contact with extra-terrtestrials, whether such empathy can be extended to a an alien species.

15. Tim Walker

In terms of psychology, the Borg were probably the most alien. A hive mind is conceivable to us, but nevertheless remains alien. :borg:

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think they have one. Not made of matter, anyway. Energy beings, if that.

They perceive the universe in such a radically different way that the concept of a "natural form" probably doesn't even apply to them. If they have one, there's no way that humans could ever comprehend it.

17. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

TOS: Tribbles, If you've never seen a shaved tribble, Google it...it's terrifying
    TNG: I would say the Armus, but it wasn't a product of evolution so I'll say the Crystalline entity and the Devidians
    DS9: The Breen (Prob) They had a language that was unrecognizable and stayed fully encased I can only guess they were VERY alien.
    VOY: The Kradin from the episode "Nemisis" and species 8472

18. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Xindi Insectoids and Aquatics.

19. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

You have any examples?

Yup, elehphants are a great example of real life.

B
    I want to point out such a creature could have arms too...

Correct, seagulls also pass too...

Yup

20. Tim Walker