More TOS engine room pics

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ian Simpson, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    publiusr and Professor Moriarty like this.
  2. Ian Simpson

Ian Simpson Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have seen the control tower drawings, not sure though how you would get there lol. I'm not sure about the chair either, I may settle for a burk chair, I guess i was trying to make the space look more grandiose.

3. Mytran

Once assigned to that post, you do not leave:devil:
    Perhaps one of the variants? There's one with arms I think

4. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe the Burke chair variant with the armrests that appeared sporadically throughout the series? Not as grandiose as a captain's chair, but still a bit more distinctive than the bog standard model. Plus, the armrests would imply the the crew member will be sitting there for some time.

Just a silly personal opinion.

5. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How do you envision an operator reaching that observation bubble, Ian?

6. Ian Simpson

Hi lol. put simply I don't. The only way I think would be a turbo lift from the back end of the bay.

7. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ready a room at the Bubble California. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

scifieric and mattpiper like this.
  8. Ian Simpson

My partner said "there should only be one Captian's chair".

I have gone with a burk chair variant as you suggest.

scifieric and Professor Moriarty like this.
  9. yotsuya

yotsuya Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I concluded that it must be the inside of the doors because the color and general lack of features is what you'd see. In several shots of the hanger model it is hard to see the door panel lines all the way down.

10. Ian Simpson

Hi Guys
    So I have spent a weeks or so learning how to animate, and I have applied that to the clamshell doors with great effect. However I am pondering about the shuttle storadge under the platform. Now I note that there are 7 Shuttles and I was thinking perhaps 6 in the basrment and one on the lift ready for launch. I am wondering if the storadge us to cramped? Let me know what you guys think, and yes i have made my classic mistake of texturing everything before asking for opinions :/

[​IMG]ShuttleBasement (1) by Ian Simpson, on Flickr
    [​IMG]ShuttleBasement (2) by Ian Simpson, on Flickr
    [​IMG]ShuttleBasement (3) by Ian Simpson, on Flickr
    [​IMG]ShuttleBasement (4) by Ian Simpson, on Flickr
    [​IMG]ShuttleBasement (6) by Ian Simpson, on Flickr
    [​IMG]ShuttleBasement (7) by Ian Simpson, on Flickr

11. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can probably reduce that down to 4 shuttles in total. The Exeter in "Omega Glory" only had 4 shuttles in dialogue. In "The Galileo Seven" the "1701/7" number from shuttle Galileo was re-used on the shuttle Columbus and given that there were no more than 2 shuttles in the episode you could reduce the number of shuttles in the Enterprise to a low of 2 and a high of 4 for regular operations.

Nice hangar deck :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    Henoch and aridas sofia like this.
  12. aridas sofia

A few observations after commending you for beautifully visualizing that space-

Yes- 2-4 shuttles, as blssdwlf has noted.

In the hangar space you’ve modeled, you are directly forward of the hatch marked on the exterior fantail. Why not give the hangar ingress/egress through that hatch for smaller craft like workbees? That would avoid evacuating the full flight deck just to send a guy outside.

I think the square pad is the lift, and the round space is just the turntable on that lift. Also, do you really need a big pneumatic piston like you’d find in a 1960s garage? Put the lift on tiny tracks that don’t get in the way of the repair work going on down there, or the ingress/egress operations for smaller craft.

As far as smaller craft go, Probert drew a workbee concept that was much cleaner and more “TOS” looking that you might want to include in the space freed up by by having only 2-4 shuttlecraft. I will try to find it for you.

13. aridas sofia

14. Mytran

Nicely visualised basement and impressively spacious! With anti-grav paddles (as seen in The Changeling) it would be easy enough for the crew to apply "stack 'em and rack 'em" on the shuttles as shown. :techman:

15. Ian Simpson

You know I was thinking of moddeling the anti gravs, I will get on with that. I'll post some more when the sugestions have stopped comming in.

16. Ian Simpson

Thanks aridas interesting stuff, I have looked at the workbee thanks for that. I'm not sure what you are trying to explain when you said "In the hangar space you’ve modeled, you are directly forward of the hatch marked on the exterior fantail. Why not give the hangar ingress/egress through that hatch" Could you post a pic? Probably me being thick lol

17. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm assuming aridas sofia is referring to the red rectangular marking on the undercut that could be a giant hatch.

18. aridas sofia

The rectangular box on the curved undercut below the clamshell doors. Not sure if this link will work - I am an imgur novice.

https://imgur.com/gallery/DTbxyjO

This curved rear bulkhead would be immediately aft of your vertical rear bulkhead. get rid of your bulkhead and if this rectangle is a hatch, it would give your hangar (and any small craft) direct access to space without interfering with flight deck operations.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  19. aridas sofia

I have the decks lined up differently than you, I think. The hatch ends up being below deck level if you allow for another deck below the hangar.

https://imgur.com/gallery/44Otnvo

20. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

Artistically, it's wonderful but, I will NEVER understand the obsession of using a hydraulic jack under the lift/turntable.

I'm not aware of any naval vessel that ever used something like that to move aircraft from below deck to the flight deck. No cruiser or carrier, battleship etc...ever did.

Most such elevators are moved by hydraulic pressure today (and have for decades) though some have been moved via mechanical systems.

In a star ship I would expect some kind of side-lifting system with linear motors (be they purely electric or something more exotic doesn't even matter). This would completely remove the pierced lower deck and wasted space beneath and the turntable could be integrated into the platform itself.

I know that Franz Joseph's plans showed a central jack (and some of Matt's drawings seem to indicate that as well) but anywho...

This is NOT criticism of your work, just a comment on a repetitive thing that won't go away.