Modern Casting

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Bry_Sinclair, Dec 15, 2020.

1. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

Ben Sisko - Navid Negahban
    Jake Sisko - Myles Truitt
    Odo - Mahershala Ali
    Kira - Krysten Ritter
    Miles O'Brien - Steven Yeun
    Julian Bashir - Nazanin Boniadi
    Garak - Christopher Heyerdahl
    Quark - Lucy Liu
    Rom - Anh Do
    Nog - John Harlan Kim
    Leeta - Indiana Evans
    Zek - Randall Duk Kim
    Worf - Kristofer Hivju
    Martok - Lars Mikkelsen
    Jadzia Dax - Anthony Lemke
    Ezri Dax - Laura Harrier
    Dukat - Tom Hanks
    Damar - Randall Park
    Eddington - Ayisha Issa
    Founder - Taraji P. Henson
    Weyoun - Michael Emerson
    Jaresh-Inyo - Joe Estevez
    Admiral William Ross - Andrew Robinson

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    Shaka Zulu likes this.
  2. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

All I can offer is one actor, as Sisko:

Shemar Moore (Criminal Minds, S.W.A.T.)

The rest will come when I can think of any actors.

somebuddyX likes this.
  3. Tribble Threat

Tribble Threat Commander Red Shirt

Wow. A lot of people have come up with impressively long lists of actors to play characters. Who wants to explain some of their casting choices?

4. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Can't see how Yeun would work as an Irishman. Would most likely be a hilarious disaster

5. somebuddyX

Well most of mine simply came down to people in shows I really like or I've seen in interviews, in the case of Steven Yeun who I loved on Conan. I was going to cast him as Bashir first because I like his genuineness and reminds me a lot of Bashir and also Dick Grayson who people were also fan casting him as. However once I thought of Nazanin Boniadi, from Counterpart, I realised I could make her a female Bashir but I knew I wanted Steven in the main cast because he was the first person I'd thought of and cast when doing this and by that point I was actually on the last person and the only person left was O'Brien, so I thought fuck it, he's going to be asian-irish O'Brien. Maybe he just wouldn't have an accent, kinda like Conan doesn't.
    On the others:
    • Ben Sisko - Navid Negahban
    I loved him from Curb and I wanted to go a different ethnicity on Sisko since I was going to be changing up almost everyone elses anyway. I was going to have Dean Norris first .

• Jake Sisko - Myles Truitt
    This I am afraid I just googled young black teen actors and he popped up and I liked his face. But I always wanted a father and son from different ethnicities.
    • Odo - Mahershala Ali
    I just liked him a lot on Luke Cage and True Detective and I love the idea of him being a shapeshifter and having Odo's strong sense of justice.
    • Kira - Krysten Ritter
    I liked her on Jessica Jones and she reminded me of Kira in temperment
    • Miles O'Brien - Steven Yeun
    Already mentioned but I love the idea of him just being the everyman character and still having the annual torture O'Brien episode.
    • Julian Bashir - Nazanin Boniadi
    I wanted someone from Counterpart and I just liked her.
    • Garak - Christopher Heyerdahl
    He played Todd the Wraith on "Stargate Atlantis" and I liked how he would work with his allies but you couldn't really trust him.
    • Quark - Lucy Liu
    This one was kind of shallow in that I was googling asian actors and she popped up and thought she would be fun as this mischievous dry version of Quark a bit like her Ally McBeal character. I almost cast David Hewlett but I wanted to keep all of the show's main Ferengi as asian as they were from the same family pretty much.
    • Rom - Anh Do
    He's an Aussie comedian and I like his fun dumb humour.
    • Nog - John Harlan Kim
    I saw him on The Librarians and liked him, but also I originally cast Randall Park as Rom so I wanted to give him an asian son. Also he's an aussie too so I wanted to cast a whole bunch.
    • Leeta - Indiana Evans
    She's also an Aussie actress that I've always liked.
    • Zek - Randall Duk Kim
    I liked him in "The Matrix Reloaded"
    • Worf - Kristofer Hivju
    He was from "Game of Thrones" and my idea was to reinvent the Klingons as more rugged viking like warriors.
    • Martok - Lars Mikkelsen
    He does Grand Admiral Thrawn and was on Sherlock and I just wanted someone from a similar area as Kristofer Hivju
    • Jadzia Dax - Anthony Lemke
    This is kind of shallow as I really liked him on "Dark Matter" and was thinking of how to incorporate, and I figured he could embody that same kind of fun, free spirit that Jadzia has. I also wanted to do the reverse of what everyone else might do in making Ezri a guy. It also allowed Worf and Jadzia to be in a gay relationship.
    • Ezri Dax - Laura Harrier
    I just think she was great in "Spiderman: Homecoming" as Liz and had that similar vulnerability as Ezri. Also in keeping Ezri female and Bashir is now female allowed for another homosexual relationship.
    • Dukat - Tom Hanks
    I love the perversion of everybody's best mate Tom Hanks playing space Hitler and on the surface have him be the friendly Hanks persona like you see on talk shows but underneath you see the true Dukat narcissism.
    • Damar - Randall Park
    I originally cast him as Rom which led to me casting all the show's main Ferengi asian but then I thought I could flip it and bring out the similar darker tones that he had in "The Interview" by making him Damar.
    • Eddington - Ayisha Issa
    I saw her on "Dark Matter" and loved her there.
    • Founder - Taraji P. Henson
    I think she was great on "Person of Interest" and would be fun to play the manipulative founder.
    • Weyoun - Michael Emerson
    This one was probably down to Michael Emerson's Ben Linus and Harold Finch reminding me a lot of Jeff Combs but I just like it a lot, plus I only just realised there's a little "Person of Interest" reunion with the Founder and Weyoun.
    • Jaresh-Inyo - Joe Estevez
    I just can't stop thinking about the same guy who portrayed the great President Davidson on "Decker" portraying the Federation President. This one was probably the least serious.
    • Admiral William Ross - Andrew Robinson
    I wanted to cast at least one DS9 alumni and I've always wanted to fan cast Andy in a completely different role and I thought this would be fun.

Tribble Threat likes this.
  6. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

I know Patrick Stewart played a French man and all that so it's happened before but Yeun isn't Irish so his choice is to do an Irish accent or be just another American character that you only know is Irish by checking Trekcore. Americans playing Irish people with or without the accent is almost always a disaster.

But seeing as you are changing race and gender on many characters it would be easy make him Asian-American with an Irish name or ancestry. Anything to avoid a repeat at Tom Cruise attempt at being Irish.

I like the idea of Mikkelson as an alien but to me he has a face that screams Cardassian and Ide love to see Ciaran Hinds play a Klingon or Cardassian too

somebuddyX likes this.
  7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Conan's an American. His family has been in America for a few generations. There's no reason he would have an Irish accent.

8. somebuddyX

Yep, so my character could be an asian guy with an Irish last name because his family has been in America for a few generations or something.

TimeIsAPredator likes this.
  9. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

And will I still refuse to watch second-class "remakes" of excellent series and movies. I just hate it, no matter what Broadway does.

10. somebuddyX

I wondered about doing another version to be more true to people's ethnicities or accents/place of origin. Or some of these I might redo completely or put in different spots. I think you're right on Lars Mikkelsen as a Cardassian or maybe even a Romulan. I think I just liked him and slotted him in with only a few seconds thoughts.

11. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Miles’ son Yoshi would technically be an Irishman so why not an Asian actor?
    Besides which...we do actually have quite a diverse population here now.

Anyway if you were recasting for type..how about John C Reilly as the chief?

12. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the topic of Steven Yeun for Miles, don't forget that the show takes place over 300 years in the future and that humanity is only bound to become more cosmopolitan and intermingled, especially in the harmonic Star Trek future. So a guy that looks "East-Asian" to us, the audience, portraying a 24th century Irish person seems perfectly normal for such a scenario.
    Less weird than all the WASP dominated future shown to us in 60s and 90s Trek.

13. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I almost forgot in my original casting, but Denzel Washington for Joseph Sisko

somebuddyX and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  14. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Wow, the Star Trek franchise is richer than I thought.

somebuddyX likes this.