MLB Offseason: Mune Kawasaki and Brian Matusz have World Series rings

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Nov 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Given the pitching market, I'd have thought they could have gotten a little more for him. that said, needed to clear a little salary space out, and didn't have to eat any money on it, so guess that's fine. He'll pitch 3.5 months in Philly and then get a crack at a contender at the deadline I suppose, and FA from there.

maddeningly frustrating pitcher. runs of sheer brilliance, and then runs of pure mediocrity, with sporadic DL stints that seem to last forever for minor 'issues' as well. Great periods, just never put it together to become the ACE he has the talent to be. Problem between his ears, and I don't mean the horse face or horrible hair...

Either way, I don't think Boston's pitching rotation should miss him. he was a good insurance policy before Sale was traded, but now they've got Sale, Price, Porcello, E-Rod, and Pomeranz, with Wright in the pen as long relief/spot starter, so should be able to make that work unless the injury bug bites.

Yanks likes this.
  2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Yeah, it was either Pomeranz or Buchholz who was going this offseason, and I guess Dombrowski valued the additional control time on Pomeranz.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I couldn't see Dombrowski giving up on Pomeranz so soon after giving up Anderson Espinoza for him. Pomeranz had already reached or was close to reaching a career high in innings when Boston acquired him, so I'm sure Dombrowski would like to see what a healthy and rested Pomeranz can do for them over a full season. Plus I think Dombrowski wanted to try and get back under the luxury tax threshold; trading Buchholz accomplishes that, but trading Pomeranz woudn't have.

4. Timby

Edwin Encarnacion has received offers from the Blue Jays, A's, Astros, Indians, Rangers and a ~mystery team~.

5. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Encarnacion, Trumbo and Joey Bats all still dangling out there... asking too much? Is it the luxary tax that is playing into this? Their age? Asking for too long a contract?

It wil be interesting to se ehow this all plays out for sure.

6. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Pirates sign Ivan Nova to 3 year deal.

7. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

There's talk of Manny Ramirez making some kind of a comeback to pro baseball :wtf:

He's 44 and he has hardly played the past two years from what I can see.

8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Manny was a player/coach for the Cubs AAA team in 2014 until a knee injury.

Then he was roving batting instructor in 2015.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe as a mascot...

Finn likes this.
  10. Tom Hendricks

Just need to find someone for the front of the horses ass.

11. Tom Hendricks

Edwin Encarnacion to the Indians, 3 years and 30 million with an option for 2020.

12. Yanks

Wow... He must not have liked the Bluejays

13. Timby

Mark Shapiro was hired by the Blue Jays to cut payroll. The team basically said as much when they announced he was replacing Paul Beeston last year. Rogers doesn't really care about winning anything; the company just wants 162 nights of content it can plaster all over its networks without having to pay anyone for the rights.

14. Yanks

Well, 4 years and 80 million is better, so why not accept that?

15. Timby

The Blue Jays leaked that they put a 4 / 80 offer on the table, but according to Encarnacion's camp, it wasn't anywhere near those numbers and it only came a few hours before free agency started, which isn't really how a team operates when it's trying to keep a guy. Beyond that, once the Blue Jays signed Kendrys Morales (for about half the money that Encarnacion got), that left Encarnacion without a position in Toronto, more or less.

Yanks likes this.
  16. Yanks

17. Timby

Brian Bilek is a White Sox fan blogger who is rather notorious for making shit up just for kicks.

Yanks likes this.
  18. Tom Hendricks

I liked the MuCutchen to the Mets rumors.

19. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Either that or "the Cleveland way," which is suck for a decade and build the farm up. Either way, this team was in no position to be a World Series team without re-signing Edwin and getting another big bat. They couldn't get over the hump without some kind of change. The team as is will still be competitive, but only because the Rays will be pitiful and the Yankees are still in their own kind of re-tool on the fly.

Rogers loves loves loves to plaster the Jays all over their network. They keep going on about being the number one network, but when they own the majority of the hockey games in Canada and the only baseball team, of course you'll get the ratings. Unfortunately, I don't think there is another owner out there for the Jays if they were ever to go up for sale.

20. Timby

Murray Chass has unveiled this year's Hall of Fame troll: Submitting a blank ballot. (Last year he only voted for Junior Griffey, a few years ago he said he wouldn't vote anymore -- then changed his mind after getting the Spink Award, etc.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.