MLB Offseason: All Rise for the Judge

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Rays have submitted a bid to redevelop Tropicana Field and surrounding land in downtown St. Petersburg.

So are they talking about renovating the Trop (the "lipstick on a pig" scenario), or building a new stadium on that site? If the latter, where would the Rays play in the interim?

Oh well. We'll see what gets done first...new A's, new Rays, or Hell freezing over.

So are they talking about renovating the Trop (the "lipstick on a pig" scenario), or building a new stadium on that site? If the latter, where would the Rays play in the interim?

Oh well. We'll see what gets done first...new A's, new Rays, or Hell freezing over.
The Hades A's. Has a nice ring to it.

The Hades A's. Has a nice ring to it.

I'm hardly a gambling man, but if there's anything at all on God's green earth that I'd actually be willing to put money on right now, it'd be the A's moving to Vegas.

And if that happens, I'll be laughing my ass off, since Oakland will have totally deserved it.

Last edited:
I'm hardly a gambling man, but if there's anything at all on God's green earth that I'd actually be willing to put money on right now, it'd be the A's moving to Vegas.

Vegas has said there isn’t public money there for another ballpark.

And if that happens, I'll be laughing my ass off, since Oakland will have totally deserved it.

Yep. How dare they not build a billion dollar toy for a billionaire…

I could give a shit about billionaires. All I care about is the stadium itself. :shrug:

All you care about is the stadium? What about the people who get screwed because of these monstrosities?

If the Reds and/or Bengals threatened to move tomorrow without more taxpayer money, I’d tell them to hit the fucking road. It shows how fucked up we’ve become when we treat poor and the homeless like criminals if they get any public support but line up to fill billionaires pockets.

All you care about is the stadium? What about the people who get screwed because of these monstrosities?

Oh, don't mistake my meaning. If Oakland doesn't want to pay, they shouldn't be made to do so against their will. The choice is theirs, of course. Nobody needs to get "screwed".

But at the same time, if the A's choose to move, that is also THEIR choice. Teams either get the stadium they want (WHOEVER the hell pays for it), or they move. Perhaps that is a bit sad or tragic. But it's simply the way it is. :shrug:

It worked with the Pilots, it worked with the Expos, it worked with BOTH iterations of the Senators...and it's going to work here.

Last edited:
(WHOEVER the hell pays for it)

See, this is the part that you continuously and willfully overlook. The concept that "public investment in private sports facilities equates in an economic boon for the community / city / county / state" has been debunked, constantly, in more than two dozen independent audits and analyses going back as far as 1996. Public financing for giant stadiums that get handed to teams either freely or with very little private financing on their part inevitably results in gigantic net losses for the taxpayers.

So, yeah, it matters very much who the hell pays for it.

Fred McGriff is elected to the Baseball HOF. Linky

Utter joke of a committee: Chipper Jones, Greg Maddux, Jack Morris, Ryne Sandberg, Lee Smith, Frank Thomas, Alan Trammell, Paul Beeston, Theo Epstein, Arte Moreno, Kim Ng, Dave St. Peter, Ken Williams, Steve Hirdt, LaVelle Neal and Susan Slusser.

Trammell, Thomas, Sandberg, Morris and Maddux were all going to be automatic no votes for Steroid Era guys, which guaranteed that Bonds and Clemens didn't have a chance in hell of crossing the 75 percent threshold right from the start.

The Hall of Fame is once again confirmed as a worthless institution dedicated to a silly culture war and not the history of baseball.

I don't understand these veteran committees. There are a lot of them and there aren't that many people involved, so it doesn't take many yes votes to put someone into the hall.

I don't understand these veteran committees. There are a lot of them and there aren't that many people involved, so it doesn't take many yes votes to put someone into the hall.

They exist for Hall members to vote in their buddies who didn't get in through the conventional ballot process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back