MLB 2023 Season: Rangers are going hunting for Snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Oakland A's and that concrete toilet of theirs....

After yet another offseason of cost-cutting moves, the Oakland Athletics were outdrawn by 11 Triple-A games Tuesday.
The Athletics announced an attendance of just 3,407 fans during Tuesday's walk-off win over the Cleveland Guardians. That's a staggeringly low figure for an MLB team ...

Story

I've heard talk that the Mets might have trouble landing Ohtani because supposedly Japanese players don't like playing on a MLB team with another Japanese player (in their case, Kodai Senga). Any truth to this?

I've heard talk that the Mets might have trouble landing Ohtani because supposedly Japanese players don't like playing on a MLB team with another Japanese player (in their case, Kodai Senga). Any truth to this?

I have never heard anything of the sort in the nearly 30 years since Hideo Nomo's debut.

AP: Climate change adding 50 homers a year in MLB, study says:

Hotter, thinner air that allows balls to fly farther contributed a tiny bit to a surge in home runs since 2010, according to a statistical analysis by Dartmouth College scientists published in Friday’s Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. They analyzed 100,000 major league games and more than 200,000 balls put into play in the last few years along with weather conditions, stadiums and other factors.
Both [University of Illinois physicist Alan] Nathan and the Dartmouth team found a 1% increase in home run likelihood with every degree the air warms (1.8% with each degree Celsius). Total yearly average of warming-aided homers is only 1% of all home runs hit, the Dartmouth researchers calculated.
The Dartmouth team found the climate homer effect varied by field, too. Chicago’s Wrigley Field, which still hosts a lot of day games, has the most warming-homer friendly confines. The statistical analysis found no significant heat-aided homers at Tampa’s Tropicana Field, the only full-time domed stadium in Major League Baseball.​

Baseball card collectors past and present, do you consider the XRC cards to be rookie cards or not?

XRC cards?

eXtended Rookie Cards. Basically, cards that are printed after a player makes his regular-season debut (but the player wasn't in the initial run). There's a long-running debate on this; for example, Barry Bonds made his debut in 1986, and there was an XRC card made of him later when it became clear he was something special, but he didn't get his "actual" rookie card until the 1987 run.

This is a topic of some debate in the (rapidly dwindling) card collector scene. I once had a guy who ran a card shop in Madison, WI, go nuts at me on the topic when I wandered in one afternoon and asked if he had a Mark Grace rookie card, because my girlfriend at the time had a brother who adored Grace and I was trying to do her a solid.

Damn, I'm surprised I've never heard of that. I use to be am avid baseball card collector in the 90s. Still have most of my cards om storage somewhere.

eXtended Rookie Cards. Basically, cards that are printed after a player makes his regular-season debut (but the player wasn't in the initial run). There's a long-running debate on this; for example, Barry Bonds made his debut in 1986, and there was an XRC card made of him later when it became clear he was something special, but he didn't get his "actual" rookie card until the 1987 run.

This is a topic of some debate in the (rapidly dwindling) card collector scene. I once had a guy who ran a card shop in Madison, WI, go nuts at me on the topic when I wandered in one afternoon and asked if he had a Mark Grace rookie card, because my girlfriend at the time had a brother who adored Grace and I was trying to do her a solid.
You sure that wasn't just because he was a Brewers fan? :guffaw:

Topps Traded and Fleer Update were midseason mini-sets with players on new teams and rookies who made their debut. Donruss did a set for just rookies. So Kirby Puckett would have a 1984 Fleer XRC and a 1985 Fleer RC.

The argument against XRC, even though technically in most cases they were the first cards of the player to come out, was that you had to buy the complete set and couldn't get the card out of a random pack.

Topps Traded and Fleer Update were midseason mini-sets with players on new teams and rookies who made their debut. Donruss did a set for just rookies.
Damn, that must've been after my time. Or maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Damn, that must've been after my time. Or maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Donruss caused a big hubbub about it back in like 2000 or 2001, I think. And there was a card grading company that added to the controversy. Beckett, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back