MLB 2019: Mad Max Beyond Astrodome

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Mar 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

The Oakland A's are playing 600 ball right now and still aren't guaranteed a playoff spot. Amazing.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Did I miss something? Castellanos is a RF, not an infielder. But there we also have Hoerner. If he can play 2B alongside Javy...and if a new hitting coach can get Javy back to only a moderate strikeout rate, that's a middle IF I'd like to see.

We're really kinda thin in the OF, unless you keep Happ there most of the time, and he also does a better job at the plate. I'd always hoped for Almora to get his shit going so he could be the full time CF, but not sure he'll ever be more than a defensive replacement/occasional starter.

I'm still behind Hoss in LF. He's no Heyward on defense, but very few guys are. He can flatten baseballs and has made himself a decent LF. Hell, Seattle is playing Vogelbach at 1B despite his size. He was supposedly only going to pan out as a DH.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Castellanos also plays third and, if I recall correctly, that was his original position before moving to outfield.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

No one calls Schwarber "Hoss" except you, and I don't understand it. In any event, wake me up when his batting average nears .280 and stops his fascination with strikeouts and his allergy to walks.

As for Vogelbach, he's still a majority DH and if he continues to balloon, as Schwarber is, he's going to stick as a DH.

Castellanos came up as a 3B (they played with the idea of him replacing Miggy, lol) and was moved to the outfield because even the Tigers could see that he fucking sucks as a fielder, but they experimented with him in the infield.

cardinal biggles likes this.
  5. Ar-Pharazon

Thanks. I didn't do an in-depth look at Nic, but he certainly seems comfortable in RF. Like Hoss, not A+, but good.
    We have Bryant thru 2021, plus Bote signed an extension this year. Even if the next manager doesn't play musical positions as much as Joe has, Bryant can rotate into the OF here and there like he has done.

The Cubs announcers called him Hoss (as in Cartwright) when he came up in 15 and I'm sticking to it :razz:

Schwarbs lost weight after the knee injury and the move to LF. Not sure how much, or how much he should lose, but definitely slimmer.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Mad? No. Harper likely had a chance to chase a ring with other teams on shorter deals, but instead needed to make a meaningless statement about having the biggest contract ever.

He has "made a living" for himself and his family for several generations on what he has already earned. The money at this point really is meaningless beyond being a status symbol. I have no issue with a player squeezing the owners for every penny possible, at the same time, you have to be smart about the decisions you make because your time in the game is finite.

Harper will probably have twenty chances at hoisting the World Series trophy in his lifetime, seven of them are now gone forever.

Caretaker likes this.
  7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

It helped that I had him on my Fantasy team for two years while he was with the Tigers.

8. Ar-Pharazon

What do we think of this? Big deal or not? Two teams with nothing to play for.

9. Timby

So, what are the projected managerial openings this offseason? San Diego already fired Andy Green, Bruce Bochy and Ned Yost are retiring. Maddon's contract is up in Chicago and he's almost certainly out. I imagine Ausmus might be on the hot seat in Anaheim, maybe Servais in Seattle (though, to be fair, he's been given a dogshit roster), and Bud Black in Colorado has to be feeling a little heat after the Rockies completely face-planted this year.

Anyone else I'm not thinking of?

10. BillJ

Reds spent some money this season and did a face plant, so David Bell’s seat could be getting warm. Same for Gabe Kapler in Philadelphia.

Captain Clark Terrell likes this.
  11. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I see nothing wrong with it, just some teammates giving their guy something to be proud of... and he still had to earn that K.

12. Jedi_Master

The Phillies aren't the Marlins - they can build a winner, and all those trophies don't build permanent wealth for your descendants.

13. Ar-Pharazon

Yeah, doesn't matter to me, but you know there's those "unwritten rules" nazis that love complaining about this type of thing.

14. Jedi_Master

I have little interest in their fussing. That sort of close minded, elitist thinking has not helped baseball.

15. BillJ

Permanent wealth? I imagine between what he’s earned between the Nationals and in endorsements, he and his family will be comfortable for a very, very long time.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  16. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Nah Bell is fine, he was only hired because of family so he will keep his job for at least 3 years for the same reason.

17. Timby

Yeah, Bell probably has the freshman-year safety tag on him. Kapler, on the other hand, is apparently widely hated in the clubhouse, so he could be a candidate for getting sacked (and he's got Charlie Manuel breathing on his back; Manuel is known to want to return to the dugout).

I figure Mickey Callaway is probably toast, too. I forgot that Mattingly's contract is expiring, as well. Dark horse candidate for firing: Clint Hurdle.

Captain Clark Terrell likes this.
  18. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^Mattingly was just awarded an extension, so he’s probably safe for another year. I would be shocked if Kapler isn’t fired, as he’s managed to run that team out of contention in back-to-back second halves, and I can’t believe Callaway hasn’t already been sacked.

19. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Teams will more than likely trip over themselves to hide Maddon, even though he out manages himself in most cases.

20. Timby

Oh, damn, I somehow missed that.

Yeah, it's been reported pretty widely that Kapler and the front office in Philadelphia aren't on the same page at all, and his red-ass tactics are wearing thin on the players.

With Callaway, I figure it's just the Wilpons being cheapskates.

There was a report that the Angels are ready to sack Ausmus if / when Maddon becomes available. Wouldn't be shocked to see that happen, since Ausmus is pretty clearly a stopgap hire the way Dale Sveum was for the Cubs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.