Contest: ENTER Misc Avatar Contest: Twosday! Twosday!

Avro Arrow

Vice Admiral
Happy Twosday! Twoday has been dubbed "Twosday" because in some formats for writing dates, such as 2/22/22, all the digits are 2s. So for this contest, we're going to celebrate the number 2!

Your entry should feature at least one of these two things:
  1. The written numeral 2 (or other representation of the numeral 2)
  2. Two of the same thing, animal, or people (think twins)
It's perfectly OK for your entry to feature both, two!

Standard avatar contest rules apply: your entry must be no larger than two hundred by two hundred pixels, and 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 KB. Each contestant may enter up to two avatars. (I mean, you kinda had two see that coming!) The contest will be open for approximately two three-and-a-half day periods. And of course, no media images please.

Have fun! The contest is open right away, so feel free two get right two it! :techman:

pZWpWl4.jpg

Janus, two-faced Roman God of the beginning and the end

Entry # 2 x ½

twosday-twosday-av.jpg

Two of the Canadian $2 coins, which are called--I kid you not--twonies.

So-named because our $1 coin has a loon on it, so of course people started calling them loonies. (Remember Eddington mentioned his "lucky loonie" once in Deep Space Nine? That's what he was referring to.) So it was just natural when the $2 coin came out for people to go for the soundalike "twonie" because it was worth "two loonies".

Some people were advocating for the alternate name "doubloon" instead, for "double-loon", and also referencing the old Spanish coin. While certainly clever, the soundalike name won out with the public.

Note that this is more of a nickname, not its "official" name, so there's no real standardized spelling. I've also seen "toonie" and "twoonie".

Back