Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Hmm, when you crouch on a ladder you're supposed to hold position, not slide down. So that's new.

2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No rain or snow yet. :(

This bed bug seriously needs to be fixed. The bedroom in Fort Jupiter was unusable, so I made a new bedroom further in the mountain, put a bed in the middle of the room and went to sleep... and woke up the next morning. Neat. :) Until the next night when I tried it again and got raped by a skeleton. I have had that base for 6 months and in that time not a single monster has spawned inside. Where is the logic in having them randomly show up now? :censored:

In less aggravating news, I realised that my attempts to time my rail stops were pointless because setting off from different stations meant that my cart was travelling at different speeds when arriving wherever. Instead I have come up with a latch system that resets when you hit a second button, which is much better. My electronics degree is finally proving itself worthwhile! :D

3. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think you even have to crouch. Just step onto the ladder, hug the wall and slide down. Its how I've gotten up and down my mineshaft since the beginning.

Of course if you're feeling cocky and have a long ladder, you can just freefall then grab the ladder partway down. I make it down safely. Usually. :)

Ben - I think I managed to fix the bed problem. Just get rid of any nearby dirtblocks.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey Robert, any chance I could get access to your server? :)

5. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

Bleh, miss type by me. I meant:

A random thing I found just now is that if you crouch when you're on a ladder, you don't slide down. Is that new or has it been there for ages?

Sounds like it's been that way for ages and I never found out. My normal method travelling down is by gravity into a 3 deep pool of water at the bottom of a 1x1 drop shaft, and up is by boat moving floating up a waterfall. Only time I normally use ladders is when I'm making the boat-elevator in the first place so I've not had much practice with them to notice I guess.

6. Owain Taggart

I discovered two new kinds of saplings today. There's the regular bright green one. Then there's a darker green (pine?). And a white one (blossom?). Oh, the wiki says oak (green), spruce/pine (dark green) and birch (white).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  7. Robert Maxwell

PM me your Minecraft username and I'll whitelist you and send you the appropriate info. :) My server is now running (vanilla) 1.5, in case you're wondering.

8. TheGodBen

I just had an amazing experience.

I was working on the redstone circuitry for one of my stations when it started to rain for the first time. The sun was about to set, but I didn't want to miss out on my first opportunity to experience rain by cowering from the monsters, so I set the game to peaceful and went for a walk.

By the time I reached my main base, the sun was starting to come up and I decided to see what snow was like, so I went into the Nether and exited at my snow biome. I walked around for a bit enjoying the calm when I realised that snow was also falling outside my snow biome, in land that had been generated before the Halloween update. So I entered that area and walked around as snow slowly accumulated around me in patches. I suddenly realised that I was witnessing a unique event, the birth of a snow biome, and that I would never experience this again. This can only happen in cold areas generated pre-biomes and this is the only such region I have.

Anyway, here's the money shot:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the process isn't complete, the snow stopped after 6 or 7 minutes and it's very patchy in the north and east. Also, ice didn't form in the new region or in areas where I had broken it in the past. It seems to be connecting the small snowy region in the north with the large snowy region in the south, which means that I'll have a massive snow biome once the process is complete.

9. Robert Maxwell

Wow, that's awesome! I like how it tapers off around the edges. Very striking.

10. TheGodBen

Yeah, snow didn't have much chance to land up there as I spent most of my time around the trap facility. All snow biomes should have borders like that.

The snow covers around 80% of the ground around the trap facility. It's kind of weird because I spent a lot of time around there while working on it and I'm familiar with the area, but now I have to get used to it being covered in snow.

11. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, a few weeks ago, I started playing Minecraft too.

After surviving my first few nights and digging holes into the ground, I decided to go for the big one right away.

My first real home on my first world:
    [​IMG]

The outside is built entirely out of obsidian. Inside, I used generic cobblestone, so I can actually see where I'm going in there.
    I was quite lucky with the obsidian. Found a lavapatch on the surface not far from my spawnpoint, and a huge lavalake at the bottom of my mine.
    That made up for about 2/3 of the tower. Got the remaining obsidian by using one of those obsidian generators that you can build.

After I was finished, I marveled at the view from above, when, suddenly, snow started to fall.
    Imagine my surprise when I realised that I had built my version of Orthanc exactly on the border between a cold and snowy region and a warm, green landscape with rain.

The region behind the tower:
    [​IMG]

The region at the frontside:
    [​IMG]

12. Owain Taggart

That's a scary looking tower. Looks like a dark wizard would be living there ;)

13. Robert Maxwell

That tower is awesome as hell. I wish I'd built anything that cool. And man, it must suck if you accidentally place an obsidian block in the wrong spot...

14. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

You should see me try and build just a simple portal, I spend about 10mins yelling at my constant miss clicks xD.

15. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You live in Isengard! :eek:

16. Ayelbourne

It wasn't that bad. I think I misplaced about ten blocks.
    Thats only 150 seconds of additional "remining" time.

Then again I had built the entire tower with cobblestone first in order to get the shape right.
    After that it was just a matter of replacing each cobblestone block with obsidian.

What you see is actually the "second draft". The first tower was almost twice as wide and I realised midway that it would have to be way to high in order to get the proportions I wanted.
    Thankfully, tearing down cobblestone and restarting from scratch is way less tedious and rage-inducing as tearing down obsidian.

17. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Even so, the time investment for mining all that stuff in the first place must have been ridiculous. Not to mention having to find diamond for your picks. In short, awesome tower. :techman:

18. Ayelbourne

Thanks. :)

I guess that's still nothing compared to this guy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuMlhKI-pzE

He built a working CPU using redstone circuitry. It can add, substract, divide and generate random numbers.

It really is amazing what people do with this game.

19. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I'm just impressed at the time it must have taken. Not to mention how many diamond picks you went through. Or did you use the old lava/water method?

Still no snow at my place. :( Interesting to see they've replaced the tiny 4 pixel flakes of the original snow with single pixels.

20. XwarlokX

XwarlokX Lieutenant Red Shirt

Playing this game and realizing all the awesome stuff people do with it makes my structures look paltry in comparison. So far the coolest thing I've done in my new world is build a semi-log cabin on top of a plateau, incorporated a minecart track for quick travel back to my spawn base, and built an island fortress.

Nothing compares to the CPU, the obsidian tower, or any other countless cool things I've seen done with this game.

...Now I just want to see it rain in my world....