Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope. Its busted. :rolleyes:

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Hah, what a surprise. Not. :p

I'll have to wait until CraftBukkit is updated, but they are usually good about turning it around the same day.

3. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sceptical sheep is sceptical. :lol:

Well, you can build rail-lines in the Nether for a fraction of the iron it would take in the main world. That 9-minute rail trip would take no longer than 2 minutes.

Yeah, the texture-pack thing is bugging me too. For the past few weeks I have been using the Faithful 32x32 texture pack, so going back to the default is really jarring because it's the same but blockier. I really hope there's an update for the pack soon.

I forgot about this change, went down a ladder and wondered why the game was glitching. By the time I realised what was going on, I was stuck at the bottom of the mountain with no way up. I had to dig my way up to the next level. :alienblush:

I'm a bit disappointed with minecart boosters, they seem very slow and it will take a lot of gold to power my track all the way. I guess I'll have to experiment. (Or wait for others to experiment and see what they do. ;))

4. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally a good use for gold though!

I'll be experimenting with minecarts later tonight I think.

5. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe you're right. I came across it for the first time last night, and there was a direct line of sight to my cabin above the waterfall.

6. Robert Maxwell

Unfortunately, all that can be seen of Cutter John's house from the MCMap view is the little road across the water. I might have to start generating the map from more directions--at least 2, maybe all 4.

7. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

so the 1.5 update aparently gives rain will that put my torches out? hope not might need to build a lot of covers for them

8. TheGodBen

I've been testing out the new powered rails and I've managed to set up a working station that will stop the cart dead if I press a button about 15 blocks ahead of the stop. I had to use 5 redstone repeaters to get the timing right, but it works. Now, if only that button wasn't so hard to hit while moving...

No rain yet, sadly.

9. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

Use a pressure rail to turn off the power at the station to stop you.

10. TheGodBen

But that would force me to stop every time. I want to be able to fly past that station normally, but stop there if I press the button. Kind of like a bus. ;) It works, but the button is difficult to hit while moving past it.

I'm also getting that stupid bed bug at my Fort Jupiter bed. I'm able to sleep fine in my main base, but I've been assaulted by zombies twice in a row at Fort Jupiter even though I slept there peacefully several times before the update. :(

11. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

Just played with the pressure track a bit, seems it's just the same as a normal plate, gives power when you stand on it (well, roll over in a cart). So you'll have to put a red stone circuit down to make it work as needed.

12. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Back when I tried to load the artwork I created into the texture pack myself and install it, it crashed the game. So I had to ask the person who made the pack in the first place to install it for me. This could get ugly.

Thankfully the 1.4 texture still works okay. Except the grass block sides are messed up.

And I still can't get my wolves to stand up. :(

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  13. Canadave

Ugh, really? I have tons and tons of outdoor torches. :(

14. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

It doesn't, it puts out fires.

15. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really don't think they'd ever do an update like that. Similarly, I think Notch has abandoned the idea of making torches have a limited life. That short-lived idea of requiring more light the deeper you go was quickly retracted. I think they learned their lesson about changing such fundamental aspects of Minecraft. It would just screw so many people's worlds over ...

16. Canadave

Since Robert's server is temporarily borked, I went back to one of my single player worlds, and wandered about, looking for rain. Of course, since this is Minecraft, I instead fell down a massive, near-vertical open shaft, and got lost in an extensive cave system. Eventually, I decided to mine my way back up, and emerged... in nearly the exact same spot I landed when I first fell down the shaft. :lol:

The more things change...

17. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

There's no way to put a button in the cart that one can press to stop it? That would be useful.

Oh and has anyone noticed the extra options now? You can rescale the interface and use Advanced OpenGL, whatever that does lol.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  18. Robert Maxwell

Apparently, my server may not be back up for a couple days. A lot has been changed around in the networking code and the CraftBukkit folks need time to adapt. Additionally, there are a lot of bugs introduced with 1.5 so it's probably going to be a moving target as Mojang rolls out fixes.

It's times like this I wonder why Notch and company don't both working with groups like Bukkit to make these updates go more smoothly. :rolleyes: It wouldn't be that damn hard to just keep the lines of communication open and let modders have some idea what to expect.

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's what happened with the server I used to play on, and it doesn't look like it will be back up anytime soon due to one of the server mods not being up to date.

20. TheGodBen

Well, I have developed a system where you press a button several blocks in advance of your stop, it sends a delayed, inverted redstone signal through an AND gate (ANDed with the button approaching the station from the other side) which is connected to three power rails. I miss the button half the time, and I spent ages going up and down the track to make sure that the timing for all the buttons was right, but I have two working stations now.

Alternatively, you can punch the cart and it will be destroyed in about a second, but where's the fun in that? ;)

I played it for a few hours today but it didn't rain at all. I even went to the snow biome and wandered about for a bit in the hope that it would snow but nothing happened. I hope my game isn't glitched in some way.