Michael Eddingtonnnnn....

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Photon, Dec 4, 2009.

1. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

So that makes you a binar, not a human, right?

One of these years people are going to re-realize the world is analog, not digital, and that every issue contains shades of grey.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps. But I am not one of those people. ;)

And even for those who are: Come on. Just look at Eddington and how he acted. Just because some of his goals might be looked upon by some people (not me) as being somewhat worthwhile, doesn't change the fact that he was a JERK.

Like I said, Chakotay is an example of a Maquis who was truly honorable and actually likeable. But Eddington? Give me a break. Eddington was a weasel and a loser. He was obsessed with himself, and with pissing off Sisko. Chakotay would have none of either of that. Indeed, Chakotay had the moral sense to talk some of his own ex-crew out of mutinying against Janeway. Eddington would have encouraged them, and thus there'd have been chaos. Eddington, like most revolutionaries, thrived on chaos (and ego); Chakotay actually had morals and principles.

3. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

:techman:

4. RapidNadion

RapidNadion Commander Red Shirt

I sure hope you're right.

5. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And very boring. ;)

6. He'sDeadJim

He'sDeadJim Ensign Red Shirt

Chakotay: Katherine, there's a class M planet only .5 lightyear from our location...we could go there and live forever and eat berries and bark and explore our inner animal....besides I'm afraid of the Borg, and Species 8472 and the Vidians, and the Voth and the Kazon and the..um uh the Hirogen and those mean old Benaens and that memory mo jo... and Seska said she wanted to cut off my tallywacker and make a Cardassian hot dog of it..and and..."

Janeway: STFU you coward..go to your quarters and assume the fetal position...launch torpedoes"

7. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

Eddington was great, and I never really bought into this 'he was just in it for himself' thing that some have raised here. Yes, personal glory was a part of it but if he really had been that selfish he would never have surrendered to Sisko, or gone with him to rescue the Maquis 'missiles'.

The only problems I have with him come from before his time with the Maquis; we never knew what his own personal motivations were for joining them, and whether or not he'd been working for them all along. "Will knowing my personal motivation change anything at this point?" Well, no, but it might be nice...

Also, he wasn't featured regularly enough for it to be such a big reveal that he was working for them. Aside from a brief mention in Crossfire he hadn't even been seen for over two months by the time of FTC, and any casual viewer probably had no idea who he is. They would have just seen some random nobody saying "I have no feelings about the Maquis" and immediately suspecting him...

And it's not like not seeing Leeta or Kasidy or whoever else for months on end; this guy was a member of the senior staff so there was no reason we shouldn't have seen him every week, especially since he was apparently high enough up the food chain that Sisko recommended him for a promotion (presumably to Commander, which would have meant he would then outrank everyone except Sisko and Kira). Where was he during Way of the Warrior, for example? Did Odo just keep him buried in paperwork all the time?

8. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How long did it take you guys to recognize bald, puffy Eddington as full-haired, lean mean fighting machine Prince Colwyn from 'Krull'? Took me almost until Eddington was killed off.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

I only recognized his name.

Although now that you mention it, watching Eddington get speared through the chest by a Glaive would have been fun to watch.

10. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember finally reading Ken Marshall's name in the credits for an episode Eddington was in and thinking "Wait a minute. Ken Marshall was Colwyn in Krull. What happened to his hair?"

11. Kai Winn

Kai Winn Captain Captain

i don't think so. it was quite pleasant to see an officer who derived authority not from a loud voice and testosterone like the rikers or siskos.

12. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Coming in here with your Voyager-liking ways. Most people in this forum have a "Thank God Braga Didn't Touch DS9" t-shirt.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

And in the end it's better to be boring than a jerk.

14. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not if you're a character in a TV show.