Merritt Butrick/David Marcus

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Praetor, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

No offence to you, sir, but to the story- BFD.
    Once a virus has evolved (or is created by man- topic for another thread) it doesn't go away. We adapt. By estimates I read a decade ago, like, 75% of the world has been exposed to HIV by now. Most adapt.
    New strains & viruses will keep on comin'. Be prepared son, always be prepared.;)

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

WHERE did you read that statistic? Cause that don't jibe with anything I've seen in any reporting.

As to Merritt, back in the day a friend of mine managed to get onto the Trek II set and saw the Regula One set (which he said was very cheap), and met Merritt somewhere around the same time, if not the same day. I'm not going to go into the particulars but his being "troubled" wouldn't surprise me given what my friend related to me. Again, this was around '82...his later, albeit short, life might've been very normal.

3. Chrisisall

That was the plan, to cover up the creation of the virus in Africa. Hep-B vac gone wrong. Green Tree monkey bites. Whatever. These experiments will keep going, like the Venerial ones in the south U.S. in the past. MK-Ultra. Keep listening to "official" stats, that's how deniability & order is maintained. HIV can't be transmitted by mosquitos, like Malaria is- OKAAAAY.;)

4. Chrisisall

Okay, by lack of response here, I surmise that major net-searches are in flux. This HIV stuff was BEFORE the internet, hence the lack of info. Like Mal said, "Half of writing history is hiding the truth."

5. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well to be fair those pictures were taken from different angles and in different lighting and he was playing something of a drug addict on TNG but Johnny was just tired, totality tired, totality.

6. Maurice

Oh...THAT old story.

7. sunfowerggs

sunfowerggs Cadet Newbie

8. Chrisisall

Sorry "Doc", do you have better info?:lol:
    BTW, don't innoc your baby for hep until he/she's at least one year old- UNLESS he/she's an intravenus drug user. :rolleyes:

9. Maurice

There are tons of conspiracy theories about the origins of and transmission of HIV and AIDS, attributing it to, amongst others, contaminated polio, smallpox, hepatitis, and tetanus vaccines, the African green monkey, African people, their cattle, pigs and sheep as well as the United States CIA, and I'm not going to dignify such nonsense by arguing them. Neither you nor I are experts in immunology, and as such, I'll defer to the peer reviewed scientific literature, not the inevitable subset of scientists who argue against the majority conclusions and can't prove it.

Here's what the CDC says about it.
    Here's what NIAID/NIH says about it.

And that's ALL I'm saying on this subject.

10. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Praetor: Don't let it depress you. I've had somebody close to me become a shadow of their former self and go before their time... so I know what I'm talking about here. All I see between those comparison shots are an actor who's aged slightly and been given a very decent addict make-up job. Eye liner and maybe next to no sleep that night, so they could get into the role and pull off a great performance. I don't doubt Merrick Butrick went the way people describe. I can believe it. But you're certainly not seeing it in these photographs.

11. Chrisisall

All those theories are conspiracy nutjob fantasies.:lol:
    "You also cannot get HIV from mosquitoes." Bs. It's not outside a body, and given short transmission time ( the bug is shoed before it sates itself and quickly finds another host) it can't cool to die in a hot environment.
    "The authors believe that HIV-1 was introduced into the human population when hunters became exposed to infected blood." And I "believe" in vampirism- that make it true?:guffaw:
    Good, because your science is obviously very limited. And don't do that Spock eybrow thing here.:p

12. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

Is calling a troll a troll warnable for trolling?

13. Chrisisall

Is calling the "status quo simplistic mentality spin control industrial complex" on its Bs a trolling offence?
    If so, guilty as charged.:shifty:

14. Maurice

Dunno. Perhaps you are speaking of the latest addition to my happy ignore list? ;)

15. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

I hope Jonathan is okay... he hasn't posted in a while...

16. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Guys, if you're going to talk conspiracy theories about the AIDS virus, take it to another forum. Talk about Merritt, okay? Thank you!

17. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm with you on that. I was hoping he'd have stopped by to chime in. Last activity seems to be about three weeks ago. Maybe he's just taking a break from being online or something. TrekBBS can get a little addictive at times!

18. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I heard from him a couple of weeks ago - he was busy with his new job (and pretty tired and also pretty tired of squinting at a computer screen all day)...but I haven't heard from him in a while. I'll try his email address and see what happens.

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Well, the only part they had money to 'design' was the neat spaceframe thingie, which was Minor's (also felled by HIV.) The rest is all leftovers from TMP and tons of rentals from MODERN PROPS. I have a feeling that if the art dept budget hadn't been cut by a third up front, the station would have benefitted GREATLY (as would Kirk's apt and the Eden cave. )

20. Maurice

You know, I never thought about it before, but you're right, the Regula 1 Spaceframe was totally Mike Minor-ish in design.