Mental Wellness Support Group

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Twilight Phoenix, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Would this be a proper place for this? This might have something to do with my MS, multiple sclerosis.

Tinnitus. It has been with me for over a decade and I think I had gotten used to it.... until now, it feels it has gotten worse.
    I'm afraid to do things. If my neck itches I barely touch it to scratch because I'm afraid it might make this worse. Neck muscles may have something to do with tinnitus, or so I've learned. I'm right handed but I try to do things with my left hand as much as possible. Again in the fear it might make it worse. I like music but I'm almost afraid to listen to good music with enough volume to get into it. Also, I edit some of the songs, structures and things like that and those own versions are the bigger concern, I'm afraid to listen to them. I do listen to them but quietly.

Fortunately there are occasions when it is possible to forget the noise. The problem is that everytime I remember it I get annoyed. I don't even know how many times a day.

As I write this I think if anyone read this far you might think "well, his stupid". I might be, I'm not arguing that but over a decade of this shit in my head has taken me into its control.

And to top it all off, I'm actually little afraid to post this in the fear how it might affect tinnitus. I realize it won't but still. Wow, I am going mad with this.

think likes this.
  3. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry you're going through that. It must be very aggravating.

4. JesterFace

Thank you. Fortunately I'm pretty sure things just might get better, this is not the first time with tinnitus or MS when it feels like this is it. Right now I think I feel better than when writing that earlier post. :) More power for all of us. :)

think and Gary Mitchell like this.
  5. think

think About it! Premium Member

I am glad you posted this I have Tinnitus the ringing in my ear --- I had lost all hearing and just had ringing after standing next to the giant speaker at a big audio dynamite show.. the whole show no plugs or anything.. a week or more and since there is always the ringing before that show I had started hearing voices in my head it was toward the end of 1984 and I still hear those voices but have come to terms with time. I Guess..-- I told my voices "you are not real" they replied "so what" so yeah .. the tinnitus goes on and on.. --- usually .. it is hard to deal at time but accept that I did that to myself you know and now there is damage. for me. I have also overdosed on LSD a few times and yeah more damage. things are always moving there is nothing stationary or solid at all.--- ever --- but it is ok I am an artist right?

there is a way to deal with this it is with distractions anything that would distract would help.. --- of course that is the way with everything in life it seems. --- just typing here I am distracted so .. I can handle thing.. now it I could only handle the dishes and wash them :(

KimMH and JesterFace like this.
  6. think

@JesterFace I did get a cure for the tinnitus .. it was a herb ginkgo biloba it is an herb!! I looked into it .. a musician friend told me about that he was using it just for that.. --- I looked closely at the information and really considered using this herb.. but there is a counteractive effect with diabetes and the diabetes meds I am on so I can't do that or the ginseng plant I used to harvest ginseng plants in the woods for a couple of summers in 1995 - 1996 it was fun. then I moved on .. and then I got Diabetes so I tried the ginseng and my blood sugar levels were crazy and bad. -- IDK

ginkgo biloba works for my friend but --- he does not have diabetes -- check with your Dr before trying this cure.-- OK

KimMH and JesterFace like this.
  7. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

I have had tinnitus since at least 1990.
    Most of the time I don't even notice it.
    I notice it most when I take my hearing aids out at night.
    I'm not sure in regard to having MS cause the tinnitus, but for others, the tinnitus is the brain's way of filling in 'sound' for that portion of hearing that has been lost.
    They have "hearing aids" that in a way fill in the missing sound to make the brain happy and 'stop' the noise. ( this is a simplistic explaination)
    I'm not sure about the MS, but in regard to tinnitus in general I can't see how using your non dominat hand, or not scratching you neck if it itches could possibly help or hinder the issue.
    I think you need to speak to your doctor.
    My audiologist told me that people vary.
    Some people have a lot of tinnitus and it doesn't bother them while others may not have as much and they find it maddening.

MS or not I think you are in the group that finds in maddening and I recommend talking to your doctor about treatment.

JesterFace and think like this.
  8. JesterFace

Thank you for your positive messages. Any help with this is appreciated.

I have discussed the problem with neurologist(s) and an ear doctor has had a look. Sometimes I like to think that it's only temporary, eventually there might be a way to get rid of the noise. Who knows, doesn't hurt to hope for the best. :)

Avro Arrow, think and Gary Mitchell like this.
  9. think

10. think

11. think

12. Ocanain

Ocanain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think herbal remedies are nonsense but anyway, my tinnitus is neurological so it’s a bit trickier to shift.

think likes this.
  13. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

A guy I know at work said his was cured.
    He had special hearing sides which fill in sound waves in the missing portion that the brain is filling in with the sound.
    It worked for him as it does for many people.
    My hearing aides cost $7200.00 USD.
    His may have cost more, probably not less though. Mine do not have the tinnitus correcting sound in them.
    Being deaf is expensive.

rhubarbodendron and think like this.
  14. Ocanain

Auditory implants just bypass the cochlear and go direct to the brain stem so anyone that has neurologically based hearing issues are are unfortunately have just as many problems. My problem is calcium ion transmission through my sensory nervous system so sadly without a new nervous system I’m going to run into issues. My tinnitus runs down to the synapse level so short cutting the ear is not going to be much help for me.

The reason that ginkgo biloba works for some is that it increases vascular flow to the cochlear so in those that have tinnitus due to hearing damage it can have some benefit.

Nakita Akita and think like this.
  15. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

do your nerve cells take up too much or too little calcium?

I've had a "normal" tinnitus for the last 38 years. Gingko helps if you catch the tinnitus at an early stage. It doesn't help much when it's an old tinnitus, I'm afraid. I'm a type 2 diabetic and could not notice any negative effects when the other day I got Gingko prescribed against a sudden hearing loss. But one should always ask the doctor or pharmacist, just in case.
    Also, I noticed that if I wear ear protectors and ear plugs for several days so that I live in complete silence the tinnitus becomes significantly less loud. It is, however, possible that it's not the silence that does the trick but the pressure and warmth of the ear protectors or a combination of both factors. A 1 specimen study is not exactly solid, statistically :)

think likes this.
  16. Ocanain

When I mention calcium I’m referring to calcium ion nerve transitive messaging
    Pure silence sounds wonderful. I’ve never heard it before.

As far as calcium is concerned it’s a bit complicated but I’m referring to calcium ion transmission. It’s an element of how the nervous system conveys sensory information.

I’m more than aware that my experience is different to most. I’m glad to hear that it can be a positive influence for some.

think likes this.
  17. think

I don't remember silence.. I came close to silence as a child trying to sleep.. and hearing my heartbeat is was quite mostly but my heat beating.. --- was there in my dreams I interpreted this heartbeat as footsteps of Godzilla chasing me as I had watched the Godzilla movies in the late 60's --- it was a scary thing. but yeah I grew out of it..though.. now there is still before .. the tinnitus but I think I had been hearing voices in the form of hallucinations and such going that really I don't know if I did hear silence.==

18. rhubarbodendron

yep, I'm aware of that. In some cases for reasons yet unknown calcium accumulates in the nerve cell without being pumped out again, and even enters the cell core (which it normally doesn't do). That leads to a number of malfunctions, among them chronical pain because the nerve goes into a sort of "sustained fire" state. Afaik the mechanisms aren't fully researched yet. An interesting field - except for the victims. It was what used to trigger my migraines (5-6 days a week) and I still fail to see how acupuncture does work on the neural level. Still, amazingly it did in my case. Maybe it causes a complete overload of the nerve which then results in a reset (but that's just my personal hypothesis, not an official theory).

I think I owe you an explanation: I'm a biologist and studied at an university that was pioneering in nerval research. And as all research starts with animals (in this case spiders because they have particularly big nerve cells), I got pretty close to the subject back in the 80s and have tried to keep an eye on the developments during the decades after I left the uni, hence my interest in your case (and also because of my migraines). If it's what I think you are hinting at - uncontrolled amassing of calcium in the cell core - I wonder whether perhaps a calcium channel blocker such as Flunarizine might at least ease the problem a little. There are grave side effects, though.
    But I suspect your neurologist will propably already have tried that therapy or ruled it out for medical reasons.

think and Ocanain like this.
  19. Ocanain

Ha ha. That’s a relief. I had no idea how I was going to explain gene based ion conduction over the plasma membrane, homo-oligomeric channels and such.

I have gone the Flunarizine route but it tended to not assist and also bring a suitcase of problems with it, mostly mood shift and tremors. My issues are mainly related to the chrna7 gene and the calcineurin B homologous protein 1 on chromosome 15. While the sensory assault an migraines are definitely no laughing matter, it’s a tricky thing to remedy.

rhubarbodendron likes this.
  20. rhubarbodendron

that sucks :( There is no way to repair that yet. So all that is left is trying to treat the symptoms.

I wonder how often doctors dismiss a problem as psychological when in fact it is a physiological one.

think and Ocanain like this.