Matt Smith's Departure Confirmed.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Jun 1, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But isn't the horror (or rather monsters) part of the show?

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yes but they don't have to be in every episode. I'm not advocating mundante villains every week (not that they need to be mundane) but it'd be nice to see the occasional episode where aliens/monsters weren't the blame.

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Not only that, but a historical is by definition a science-fiction story, since it involves time travel.

4. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't agree with you more.

I fell for Smiths doctor in the first few moments of his 'Eleventh Doctor' confidential special. The way he talked with his hands and looked at the camera was just note perfect. Then the Eleventh Hour struck, and I was asking who RTD and Tennant were.

Smith just does it so well. The old man finds himself young again, what wouldn't you do? He balances humour, drama, tragedy and mad scientist so well, it's as if we're watching the actual guy and not an actor. Where as with Tennant he was just acting, smith is just natural and doesn't come of as if he's trying too hard or forced in the slightest.

I among everyone else assumed we had at least one more season with Smith, but Ill be sad to see Smith go, distraught is too weak a word. i feel like i am losing a close friend, and this abruptly just 6months after the announcement. But, I am excited to see the show evolve and change once more as it should.

5. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

I totally agree with the above poster. I was always amazed at how he can make himself look old and weary one moment and then young in the next.

6. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a huge, very long-term Doctor Who fan. However, I have to say that I'm just fine with the lack of pure historicals. One of the reasons I love Doctor Who is because I enjoy SF. And, yeah, I know DW isn't pure or hard SF, but I do enjoy those elements.

Also, the pure historicals tend to be about simply getting away from a tough situation. I saw Reign of Terror and it was mostly about getting themselves free, reunited, and back to the TARDIS. They can't really change and fix things. They're also less rationale. If history is unfolding naturally, why would the Doctor interfere? He pretty much lets history unfold naturally unless there is outside interference.

So, they tend to have their hands tied storywise and they lack the SF elements that I personally enjoy.

That's my take in a nutshell!

Mr Awe

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Why on Earth are their hands tied? I'm not suggesting they actually fight Hitler, I'm suggesting that they could fight a human, but still dangerous, bad guy who happens to be set in the past (and actually I see no reason why you can't project this into the future. I'd count a futuristic story that still didn't have "monsters" in it the same.

I'm not advocating making the whole show like this, but maybe just one episode a year, or even one episode every couple of years.

8. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Please show us on the doll where the mean lady touched you.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  9. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So what Smith is really saying here is that he's quit Doctor Who because he really needs to go and take a dump, and he's just been holding it in for the last four years? :guffaw:

All the best to him for the future. He's been a great Doctor. Better than David Tennant by a considerable distance IMO. :bolian:

10. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Please don't add any more fuel to the fire.

11. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Typically, the Doctor doesn't interfere in Earth's history when there wasn't outside interference. He didn't change the Aztecs, he didn't try to stop the Reign of Terror. That's how their hands are tied.

Besides, if I wanted a pure historical, I'd probably just read/see a story set in that time. The Scarlet Pimpernel is a far better story than Reign of Terror. But, I tend to prefer SF, which is one reason why I'm interested in DW.

I wouldn't be opposed to one every couple of years. I'm just glad that they dropped the pure historicals as a common story type long ago.

Mr Awe

12. The Mirrorball Man

I've just realized that since I've heard about Matt Smith's departure, I find it hard to be excited about the anniversary special. It's as if it were starring two former Doctors, two actors who'd rather be somewhere else doing something else.

13. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's really not at all true, or neither one of them would have signed up at all. I'm sad that Smith is leaving at the end of the year, but he's never given the impression that he "didn't want to be there." The reality is that, as an actor, his earning potential is much higher in the US and he'd be a fool not to try and capitalize on his success in Who. I hope he does well.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I think doing an episode set in the past without a villian\monster isn't as easy. The Doctor knows Earth's history quite well so unless some outside for is trying to alter it what does he have to do?

As for episodes that have been set in the past (or scenes set in the past) from the current run of DW.

The Unquiet Dead
    Father's Day
    The Empty Child
    The Doctor Dances

The Girl In The Fireplace
    The Idiot's Lantern

The Shakespeare Code
    Daleks In Manhatten
    Evolution Of The Daleks
    Human Nature
    The Family Of Blood

The Fires Of Pompeii
    The Unicorn And The Wasp

Victory Of The Daleks
    The Vampires of Venice
    Vincent And The Doctor

The Impossible Astronaut
    Day Of The Moon
    Let's Kill Hitler

A Town Called Mercy
    The Angels Take Manhatten
    Cold War
    Hide
    The Crimson Horror

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The other way to look at it is, that we will be getting a regeneration (presumable in the Christmas specail). And regenreations can certainly spice things up.

16. The Mirrorball Man

I know, I know, and yes, you're right, but it's still how I feel, and hey, sue me, but Matt Smith leaving the show means that I'm no longer excited about the anniversary special.

17. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I feel the same way. It kind of feels like a dark cloud has moved over the proverbial sunny afternoon picnic. Sometimes there is a downside to serialized television and it's that you get used to seeing the same actor or actors week after week. So when something changes, it can be very unsettling. However, I felt the same way when Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant left the show. I have no doubt who ever follows Matt Smith will be just good if not better.

18. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

That's just because he's got a weird face. All this old man in a young man's body thing is nonsense. I have yet to see an old man flap around like a cretin the way Smudger mugs it up. Just because he'll occasionally go quiet and have a big weird face does not make an old man.

19. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Yes, Troughton in a nutshell.

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

New actor for The Doctor could be announced next month

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013...ith-replacement-could-be-announced-next-month

Moffat potentially staying