Matt Smith's Departure Confirmed.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^Not keen she's not quirky enough for me.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The trouble with a lot of the female Doctors being postulated is that they’re very conventionally attractive, and I’m not sure the Doctor should be that hot! :lol:

Ok I’m coming at it from a straight male perspective, but it strikes me that in the handsomeness stakes really only Davison and McGann count in terms of past Doctors. You could maybe throw Tennant in there but he is a bit gawky looking. This doesn’t mean people don’t find other Doctor actors attractive, certainly all three modern Docs have had whole armies of admirers, but precious few of the Who actors would be in line for classic romantic lead parts, on the whole they’re character actors,and maybe that’s the way it should be? As I say it’s not that I don’t want an attractive Doctor if they went down the female route (though it would be decidedly odd to suddenly fancy the Doctor) but I’d rather it was the kind of flawed beauty of someone like Garai than the perfection of a Pulver or a Watson.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I agree, if a Doctor is hot (Male or Female), it shouldn't be because they have model/romantic lead good looks, it should be because their quirkiness is so adorable

A Doctor that's just a pretty face, without some kind of quirky flaw(s), just isn't The Doctor, IMHO.

5. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Never heard of her.

Googled her. Out of all the female suggestions, she's not that bad, but I only really saw a brief image of her. Could work as a companion though......
    I hated it. A lot of people I know don't like it either. So dull and boring.
    I wouldn't put it past him. But I doubt even Moffat would do it. I have a feeling that although RTD's my favourite writer on the show, he'd be the most likely candidate hire a female doctor. JNT might have done it too if the series wasn't cancelled in 89.

6. Allyn Gibson

A point in her favor, then. :)

You should watch Atonement, The Hour, Emma, and One Day (though her role in the latter is little more than a cameo).

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

More than half the internet is built on pointless debate. If we stopped with the pointless debate the place would become a ghost town.

8. Green Lantern

This is the internet, that's real life. See the difference?

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Believe me, I don't need a child to tell me the difference between real life and the internet.

Perhaps you missed my point: the internet is made for pointless debate so to discourage it is pointless.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Plus The Crimson Petal and the White. Frankly though if GL’s choice of who would be a good Doctor is based solely on how they look the BBC might as well just trawl the London Underground and gather together the most eccentric bunch of people they can find. Obviously acting ability comes way down the list…

11. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It worked for Fellini. :shrug:

12. Allyn Gibson

This morning, the BBC released a video "thank you" message to fandom from Matt Smith.

See here.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I love that, though it does just serve to remind me how much I'm gonna miss the guy.

Still two 11 episodes left to watch though :)

14. Green Lantern

What I'd have liked to seen is a trilogy like they did with the Baker-Davison regeneration. Maybe have the 50th, then two more Smith stories, then conclude it with a 12th doctor one.

15. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

It's amusing that when I first saw the video, I was reminded of Bob Dylan's classic music video using the same sign technique.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP4XP8CaX7k[/yt]

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Thanks for sharing that. Once again, Matt Smith proves how awesome he is. I wish him the absolute best in his future career!

17. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really seriously doubt we'll get a female doctor - especially if they haven't announced if Clara is going away as a companion - not that they haven't shied away from lesbians but still.

Although I would be down with a Time Lady coming around though. It HAS been a while since we saw Romana

18. Green Lantern

Than bring Romana back. Maybe she survives the time war? Maybe she regenerates.

Hey, Susan was probably a timelord too, and we all saw that she was nowhere near Gallifrey. Or maybe she's half human?

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Er...the Doctor doesn't have to be romantically involved with his/her companion you know?

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But someone does.

A bulk of the audience is hanging out for a love story.