Matt Smith confirmed for series 8

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Lonemagpie, May 7, 2013.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Third series for Dr Who and Rose:
    That's from the BBC, March 30, 2006.

Oddly, I don't recall seeing Rose in the third series... :)

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wellllll, Billie Piper claimed on camera that she'd be back in Series 3 after she'd already shot all of Series 2 and even Eccelston talked about what he'd want to do with the character in a second series at the point where we now know he knew he wasn't going to be doing one.

So if it's not in an Official BBC Press Release there's always wriggle room.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Sigh, too true. However, I just find it unlikely that Smith would lie to his fans, get their hopes up that he'll back, and then dash those hopes. Yeah, it would be a surprise, but not a good one for his fans.

I just think it's more likely that he'll be considerate of his fans and not lie. Obviously, it can, and did happen, but I still think it's more likely that he's not lying.

Mr Awe

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I believe the Christmas Special 2013 is part of Series 8 Commision, correct? If so, and he regenerates at the end of the Christmas Special, he still has indeed returned for Series 8 (He doesn't say, to my knowledge, that he will be around for the entirety of Series 8). Sure it's a loophole and a cheap trick, but, his declaration of returning for Series 8 would not be a lie. Returning for Series 8 could also mean a guest appearance.

I also wonder, in that email if "New Doctor" actually means a new Actor playing the 12th Doctor, or it might just be short hand for "New Doctor Who Episodes"

5. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was actually 15 on Monday, killer guess.

Maybe I will, I've already noticed I'm liking things more now than I used to. The Colin Baker era for example, when I was young I wasn't a big fan of his era, and now it's one of my favourites. Didn't used to like revelation of the Daleks at all, but now it's my favourite dalek story from the classic series.

So you might be right, maybe in a few years I'll like the Moffat era, and hell after re-watching the Eleventh Hour recently, I preferred it than what I remember (although I still remember liking it anyway) and I quite liked Victory of the Daleks when I first saw it and didn't mind the rainbow daleks, but about a year later I detested the rainbow daleks, looked like something out of the sixties and seventies (although their duller repaint in Asylum is alright). When I saw Victory again recently, it became one if my least favourite dalek stories of all time.Was okay, just not really very good.

So yeah, it's possible in about 3 year I'll wake up and remember how bad my taste used to be. But it could just as easily stay similar to how it is. My family seems to generally favour the RTD era, and they're in their late fifties. They especially like Torchwood like me as well. Most people I know who are into the show prefer the RTD era in general as well. There's one or two people who prefer Moffat and Smith, but the majority seem to be RTD fans. Also on a Green Lantern forum I'm on, Moffat seems to be a lot less popular. I think it varies where you're from and what else you're into. I've noticed that Moffats era has been a bit more similar to American programs than previous series, especially the sixth series. I think Moffat appeals to Americans more than Brits myself yes I'm a Brit BTW). I notice the British seem to prefer darker things too which is why we love Torchwood so much and in some ways the RTD era was more dark, and although you all go on about Slitheen farting, most other concepts about them are actually quite dark. Moffat episodes such as Dinosaurs on a spaceship are very childish. I notice that people on this board in general favour Moffat and people on a GL board favour the RTD years (and the classic series, then again they do here too). So if you're into Star trek, you're more likely to prefer Moffat, if you're more of a Green lantern fan, you're more likely to favour RTD or classic. May sound absurd, but it's just what I've noticed.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Sorry RTD era Who was dark and Moffat era is childish? WTF?

As for Rose, I thought she was in series 3, sure as hell felt like it sometimes...

7. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not PHYSICALLY perhaps, but everyone was always talking about her...

Mark

8. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

You have excellent, finely-refined taste. I approve.

9. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

Don't forget her appearences in year 4. Still not sure why the character needed to return. I am not a fan of 10/Rose shipping.

10. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the same reason she's the one Companion coming back for the 50th Anniversary. Outside of the tiny world of internet fandom she was (and still is) massively popular.

11. Green Lantern

I like her. Admittedly, she was annoying sometimes with Tennant, but she was pure gold when Eccleston was in.

12. Green Lantern

Thanks. :)

I see you're a C.Baker fan yourself, with the Valeyard avatar and whatnot.

So fine stories like Attack of the Cybermen and Twin Dilemma weren't quite[/b] up to scratch, but stories such as Revelation of the Daleks, The Two Doctors, Vengeance on Varos, and The Tial of A Timelord were pure gold, or at least silver in some cases (:P)

13. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

I liked Rose in the first season but in the second season she became a little unlikeable to me.

14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

That's mostly because the second season consisted of her and the Doctor squealing at each other like high school students. Far too much of the season felt more like teen romance rather than adventure.

15. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the same series as some of you are... must be a perception filter issue. :p

16. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah as I get older I'm finding harder and harder to enjoy the constant barrage of hyperbole on the internet.

17. Green Lantern

There were some great episodes in series 2 like "Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel" and "Army of Ghosts/Doomsday", but the majority from what I remember was annoying.

18. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Well Rose was the first companion of the newer series and her relationship went from mild crush to school girl crush to she's in love with a guy who has eyes for other women and didn't tell her his name. kinda got annoying but they were playing out an arc for her character in season 2 with her departure on the way.

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Today could the day

20. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Oh, do I know that feeling.