Marvel/Netflix Daredevil season 2.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mage, Jul 8, 2015.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last year I decided to skip it when it came out due to lack of interest. I watched Jessica Jones and that got me to see Daredevil and ended up enjoying it. Also by the time season 2 starts, season 1 is still fresh.

2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

You are correct sir. Netflix DD is primarily using Frank Miller's late 70s/early 80s run for inspiration. Miller would later go on to write TDKReturns in 1985. In 1988, Alan Moore drew inspiration from TDKReturns for his graphic novel, The Killing Joke. So you can trace the origin of ideas, and follow the pattern.

Rewatching the trailer, it does look like they're channeling The Dark Knight for this second season. Daredevil and Batman do have a lot in common with their approaches to crime, outfits and their fatal attractions to European women (Talia and Elektra). Haha!

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like DD might beat DC to the punch in challenging the "Batman rule". Looks like it should make for a good arc.

4. WiredPlanet

WiredPlanet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Looks very interesting, surprisingly dark

Also consider how some writers from the companies crossed over, Frank Miller would be an example of one of the writers in the evolution of characters like Daredevil and Batman in the 1980's of course Daredevil had other great comic book writers and artists

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Is Talia European, outside of The Dark Knight Rises? She's the daughter of Ra's al Ghul, who's of Middle Eastern origin. Although there's apparently some ambiguity about her parentage. Batman: Son of the Demon says her mother was named Melisande, which is a European name, but Birth of the Demon says her mother was of Chinese-Arab origin and that she and Ra's met at Woodstock.

6. M.A.C.O.

I always assumed that Talia and Ra's are supposed to be non-denominational. Given Ra's appearance, where he says he's from (the Arabian desert), has a Fu Manchu mustache and decorates his house (or castles) and wears robes that fit European aristocracy.

You are right about Talia's ambiguous origins (plural). Recently they've played up Talia being more of an Arab and Asian descent, because then it would also be apart of Damian's (the current Robin wunderkind) character. People have latched on to Damian calling him "the non-white Robin, who DC racebends". Lol, it's all silly.

I was making a joke about Bruce and Matt's relationships drama, but I should have just said foreign women.Since we can't be sure with Talia. Elektra though is Greek, for sure.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ra's's origin was kept vague for decades, but it was eventually established that he was born to a band of Arabian nomads.

Although she's being played by a Cambodian-French actress. Well, if a Frenchwoman could have a Cambodian parent, there's no reason a Greek woman couldn't.

8. M.A.C.O.

^ Yeah, it's all relative I suppose. I'd take Elodie Yung over Jennifer Gardner for Elektra though. Haha

Just saw this mash-up online, and it seems 2016 really is the year of Versus matches.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. tomalak301

Batman in an iron suit still doesn't feel right to me.

10. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Surely a kryptonite knuckle-duster would serve as well?

11. tomalak301

I probably feel dumb for asking, but what?

12. M.A.C.O.

Probably the steel gauntlets that Batman wears in his Bat-Armor mode. The knucles have kryptonite in them to weaken Superman and cause pain.

[​IMG]

Probably why this happens.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. tomalak301

That makes sense. Without reading the comics no wonder I was confused ;)

14. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

This film is partially inspired by the seminal Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns comic, where
    Batman wears a metal suit to fight Superman.

15. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Yeah it definitely looks like it is borrowing heavily from TDKR- which is fine with me!

16. M.A.C.O.

New DD photos.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw the trailer...

"You're just one bad day away from being me."

At which, I had an uncontrollable compulsion to swear at the TV in front of me.

"Fuck you! No, fuck, fuuck you! FUCK YOU! Fucking fucker... FUCK YOU!"

;)

A very cathartic way to begin ones morning.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  18. M.A.C.O.

Full body view of the DD costume.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Skywalker and Turtletrekker like this.
  19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

20. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

^ There should be a "Doesn't Like" button for situations like this. :p