Marvel/Netflix Daredevil Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's early Bendis.

There are cross overs with alias that are weird/cool.

Literally the same scenes, with the same dialogue from a skewed perspective.

:D

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Frankly, that's a good thing in my book.

I'll point out that Miller's 320 pages is far more dense than Bendis's even larger books.

It's good, but it's very Bendis-y. It's a very grounded take on the character that explores the consequences of superhero stuff. It's a nice psychological story focusing on Matt Murdock. And it's a halfway decent street level crime comic book. But it does take six stories to tell what probably could be told in two or three tops.

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i actually really like the Bendis run of DD. it is decompressed...of course. so reading those giant collections shouldn't take too much time. if i had to read it month to month i'd probably hate it.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I read in some of the interviews that Bendis and Miller were two of the biggest influences for the show? Would you guys agree with that.
    I always see references to Bendis's stuff being "decompressed", what exactly do people mean by that?

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

It means he takes six issues to tell a story better told in four. I haven't read any Bendis' DD, but I saw a lot of Frank Miller influence in the show.

6. Alidar Jarok

I think you could see Bendis in the Russian mob, etc. When Frank Miller wrote Kingpin and Gangwar, it was basically just the Godfather. Bendis definitely did that too, but he also tried to incorporate a lot of modern street crime actors into it. I think the tone there is pure Bendis.

7. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately after Rosario Dawson fucked off with her pay check I found there to be little to keep my attention as regards to drama. Foggy discovering Matt was a kick ass superhero and getting emo over it. The two of them stuck in a room wanting to cry while the blonde chick kept calling wasn't enough to take my attention away from the delicate art of toe nail clipping. So I shan't be watch season two of Daredevil. There's too many things I want to watch as it is and unless I'm impressed on a fairly constant basis I will watch something else.

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm curious-you found nothing engaging regarding Fisk's storyline, the drama about him unveiling his plans or Ben and Paige's research?

I'm not saying the middle didn't drag a bit for me, but there was plenty of character stuff on some level to keep me interested. Also, enough mysteries to keep me coming back.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last post about the comics, I noticed that most of the first half of the Miller collection was just drawn by Miller and written by other people.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

This came up in a discussion on Tor.com (in the comments to an interesting article on the use of Catholicism in the show), so I decided to do some research, and I found the relevant section of New York Penal Law:

Now, since she was the one who'd been kidnapped, you could say she reasonably believed that the other person was committing a kidnapping; and she didn't know she could escape with complete personal safety. Also, Wesley had just threatened to kill everyone she loved if she didn't stay silent. She was also terrified and traumatized, and it was more an unplanned, visceral response on her part, something anyone that afraid might have done.

So I was unsure of it before, but I suppose that under New York law, her action would probably be considered self-defense.

11. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Esspecially now that Wesley's employer and confidant was outed as the cities number one criminal and psychopath.

12. Christopher

^I don't think that would be legally relevant, since Fisk had no knowledge of or involvement in Wesley's abduction of Karen.

13. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

It does, as Wesley's motivation to protect Fisk is a clear motive to keep her silent.

14. Alidar Jarok

Well, the first half of the first book.

Roger McKenzie was the writer for Daredevil and Miller took over penciling duties (with Klaus Janson inking). Unfortunately, he wrote an issue where a child overdoses on PCP and Daredevil battles the Punisher, which the Comics Code wouldn't approve. There's a single issue with a different writer and, finally, Frank Miller takes over. So the second half of that book is written and drawn by Miller. The second and third books are completely by Miller.

Yeah, I think that's correct.

I will say threat of future harm isn't enough so Wesley's future threats aren't enough. But I do think she was justified under the very specific circumstances it happened.

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I did like his storyline but I think he wasn't enough of a badass and too much of an angry child. He's a bit of a softy at times. I'd rather they save his romance story for the second season and just have him as an unstoppable man in season 1. A kingpin.
    Like this
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq8kPo3tyGY[/yt]

16. Turtletrekker

And in his first issue as writer of Daredevil (he had been co-plotter with McKenzie), which was also his first solo writing credit ever, he introduced Elektra, perhaps his most iconic creation.
    Assuming that this is the same edition that I own the print edition of, only the last five issues of Vol. 1 (168-172) are written solely by Miller.
    Well, written by Miller, anyway. There should also be a GN drawn by Bill Sienkiewicz in Vol.3, and "Born Again" was was drawn by David Mazzucchelli.

Which, JD, if you're really digging into "Daredevil", you must also read "Born Again", perhaps Miller's best writing effort on the character. Was that one of your purchases?

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'm glad that the Kingpin we got wasn't a cartoon character. I found the scenes with him and Vanessa to be very engaging.

18. Turtletrekker

Which reminds me, who else thinks that when the cops busted Fisk, that they should have also arrested Vanessa? She obviously knew who and what Wilson Fisk was and what he was doing. Shouldn't she at least have been questioned? Isn't there at least enough to suspect collusion? Conspiracy? Anything?

Vanessa on the show is a very different character than Vanessa in the comics. In the comics, Vanessa despised what Wilson did, and at one point, Fisk even gave up the mobs and moved to Europe for her. Of course, she later went off her rocker...

19. Christopher

It was much more impressive and unexpected the way they did it. First, we get to know him as a debonair, shy, vulnerable, very human character, so when he finally does reveal just how brutal and savage he is, it's so much more potent and shocking. Contrast is good. Avoiding the obvious is good.

And really, the "unstoppable man" in season 1 was Matt. His whole deal was that "Murdocks always get back up." He started out as a relentless vigilante and force of vengeance, and gradually decided to commit to a more heroic identity. Whereas Fisk started out believing himself to be a hero, yet ultimately was forced to recognize that he was the villain, the "ill intent" who beset the traveller in the tale of the Good Samaritan. That parallelism between the two characters was the season's strength, along with the decision to present them in unexpected ways. It would've been ruined if they'd both started out as relentlessly aggressive -- or if they'd both started out in exactly the same places they ended up.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I have just finished S1 of Daredevil and will scan/spot read the thread later but must add what I'm sure is praise, except FSM, within these posts for Daredevil season 1.

My two initial comments are at the shock of killing Ben and Wesley!! Two characters that are highly important...especially Ben!!! Oh the threads his character could've weaved between the shows. Popping up in AoS even. He could've gone to his rightful home, the Bugle. Not now.