Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

• Total voters
I'm not really of fan of Jon Hamm so I'd just as soon he not get a major role in the MCU. Not that I'll refuse to watch if he does.

Hamm looks very much like a classic leading man from the golden age of Hollywood but is particularly adept at comedy and mocking himself. I think he would’ve made a great Reed Richards but is possibly a bit too old now (albeit only 5 years older than Pedro Pascal). There’s got to be some Marvel role that’ll fit him, though.

I probably wasn't entirely accurate but thr whole "cops aren't brutal enough on criminals" attitude isn't exactly foreign to White America

Nor is it resticted to America either. So this idea is something that runs through humanity way back. Let's not restrict it to one race or country.

Not restricted, but its difficult to see another modern-era country as invested in MikiHutch's reference to racism-fueled "cops aren't brutal enough"* as the U.S., where the call for or use of law enforcement to suppress non-White citizens has been around for generations, ramped up (but did not start with) the aftermath of the Civil War, where corrupt politicians and law enforcement used the then-recently obtained "freedom" of African Americans as a scare tactic / basis of laws targeting them as if they were inherently lawless (thinly veiled code for "inhuman").

The American-minted "law and order" political state and national movements would always find a platform on which it would launch new waves of abuse aimed squarely at black people, whether it was the "law and order" cries during Lyndon Johnson's administration (used as an attack against Civil Rights protesters & some of their Democratic supporters) to the 1968 Nixon campaign using it as a central promise (again, largely aimed at protesting black people), to rinse and repeat initiatives from the state to executive branch level into this century. America--that "shining city on a hill" (grossly misappropriated)--that land of "liberty and justice for all"-- has a very long-lived, nailed-in penchant for the kind of support for unchained law enforcement weaponized against its black citizens. So, while the behavior /action inquestion is not restricted to America, it has been and continues to be one of its ideological hallmarks.

*Which is a separate ideology / movement to the support of vigilantism against uncontrolled crime in general in early 20th American beliefs, which also became quite popular in the arts.

Hamm looks very much like a classic leading man from the golden age of Hollywood but is particularly adept at comedy and mocking himself. I think he would’ve made a great Reed Richards but is possibly a bit too old now (albeit only 5 years older than Pedro Pascal). There’s got to be some Marvel role that’ll fit him, though.

I like Hamm and he's done some enjoyable, fun roles but I don't think any of them really show him as adept at comedy. All his comedic roles are parodying himself. 30 Rock, Kimmy Schmidt, Doordash, Barry, even Good Omens. They're all the same - big, goofy, overly expressive parodies of his own public persona making fun of his handsomeness. He's an excellent dramatic actor but I really can't think of anything comedic outside that scope.

...and yet he wants to be a villain. I love it. :D
I've become so mistrustful of interviews I'm always analyzing them. Like he never mentions Mr. Sinister. He talks about stories like "Fantastic Four, Doctor Doom" with an assumed link between them rather than maybe just being two things. He could just as well be talking about playing Mr. Fantastic. Or maybe it does mean exactly what they say, he's interested in Sinister and Doom, I'm just wary.

I lost count of all the times actors saying they'd love to play the villain.

"It's just more fun! More scenery to chew!"

Bond Villains and Superhero villains are just some of the archetypes.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the cliche that villains are more interesting than heroes. Who's more interesting, Bugs Bunny or Elmer Fudd? Heroes can be fun to play too.

Not to mention, have there really been that many MCU villains who were more memorable than their heroes? Loki, Killmonger, Thanos, Xu Wenwu, Kingpin, and Kilgrave are the biggest standouts I can think of. Not that many.

As an actor, playing the bad guys is more fun, because you just get to really let loose in a way you don't as the hero.
As for Hamm, I'm honestly kind of surprised he hasn't been in a comic book superhero movie yet.

It’d be a shame to put such a handsome but also expressive face behind a mask though

That makes me think, whoever they hire as Dr. Doom better be willing to wear that mask (or at least stick to voicing over a body double) all the time. None of this 2000s Fantastic Four BS where Doom spends maybe about 5 minutes under his mask total (not counting a few action scenes). Of course the Fant4stic Doom didn't take off any mask after he had his accident, but that guy looked like a melted action figure and really had nothing to remove at that point.

That makes me think, whoever they hire as Dr. Doom better be willing to wear that mask (or at least stick to voicing over a body double) all the time. None of this 2000s Fantastic Four BS where Doom spends maybe about 5 minutes under his mask total (not counting a few action scenes). Of course the Fant4stic Doom didn't take off any mask after he had his accident, but that guy looked like a melted action figure and really had nothing to remove at that point.

Yeah, I agree, that’s also partly why I don’t think they should cast someone like JH.
Maybe Karl Urban, after all his Dredd movie showed that, unlike Stallone, he had no problems hiding his mug behind a helmet for the duration of a movie.

As an actor, playing the bad guys is more fun, because you just get to really let loose in a way you don't as the hero.

You're just restating the boilerplate assumption, but as I already said, that isn't always true, particularly in the MCU. Oh, the villain actors have generally tried to "cut loose," but few have done so as memorably as Downey's Stark or Jackson's Fury or Hemsworth's Thor.

And I've never bought the assumption that villains are more interesting or complex than heroes. Villains are generally simpler than heroes. Pure villains just act on their selfish and negative urges, a straight line from cause to effect, no ambiguity or doubt. Heroes feel those same urges, but they struggle against them. They wrestle with themselves over the right thing to do, struggle with the personal sacrifices they have to make for the sake of helping others. There's more complexity there. Okay, a nuanced villain can be interesting -- someone like Thanos who's convinced they're doing the wrong thing for the right reasons -- but such villains essentially consider themselves the heroes of their own stories anyway, so I still say it shows that heroes can be more interesting.

You're just restating the boilerplate assumption, but as I already said, that isn't always true, particularly in the MCU. Oh, the villain actors have generally tried to "cut loose," but few have done so as memorably as Downey's Stark or Jackson's Fury or Hemsworth's Thor.
Stark *was* a villain in Civil War.

Back