Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

20.0%
  2. A

34.6%
  3. A-

12.3%
  4. B+

6.9%
  5. B

14.6%
  6. B-

2.3%
  7. C+

2.3%
  8. C

3.8%
  9. C-

1.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Adult of Dubious Maturity Premium Member

I finally got a chance to see it last night.
    • Moon Knight - I read the Marvel Knights comic back in the day and liked it. Plus, Oscar is wonderful. I have high hopes for this.
    • Echo - I remember her introduction back in the 90s(?) and hope to see them do cool stuff with her.
    • Secret Invasion - I'm not sure how they're going to do this, given the differences in how Skrulls have been depicted since Captain Marvel, but I'll check it out.
    • GotG Holiday Special - This will probably be hysterically funny. :hugegrin:
    • Ironheart - I don't know much about her, but I'm open.
    • Ms. Marvel - I *love* Kamala and have the first 3 trades. I'm looking forward to this!
    • She-Hulk - WOOHOO! I love Tatiana and if the "commercial" for Jennifer's law firm is any indication, this should be fun!
    • House of Harkness - I'm curious, but not sure what they're going to do here.
    • Armour Wars - Should be good.
    • Marvel Zombies - No. The What If? episode was enough for me.
    • Spider-Man Freshman Year - Maybe.
    • I am Groot - It looks like it might be for little kids. I guess we'll see as we learn more.
    • X-Men 97 - Maybe.

2. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

I have never and will likely never understand the appeal of 'Marvel Zombies'. It's a dumb scholky concept good for a one-shot halloween novelty book and nothing more. I found the 'What If?' episode to be aggressively stupid, tone-deaf, and honestly rather mean spirited in terms of the writing.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Scarecrow Keeper Premium Member

I'm generally very disinterested in the zombie genre (aside form 28 Days Later) so I completely agree.

...although I didn't mind the What If...? episode that much. That said, I certainly can see why it's off-putting.

4. Reverend

I have a certain measured affection for the genre; 28 Days, Romero of course, The Walking Dead (more so the comic and earlier seasons of the show), and World War Z (the book, not the movie...also the abridged audiobook was very cool.) But the reason all of these have merit is not because of the zombies, it's because of the strength of the characters and storytelling; they're about people in extreme survival situations and/or commentaries on society as a whole.
    When you strip all that away and just make it about hordes of brain munching undead corpses then it's just a load of shallow nonsense.

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Marvel Zombies, I can't stand either. I read the original run, which was interesting as a one-off--but it is just idiotic that it has gone on so long. So, hard pass on that.

Moon Knight, She-Hulk, and Ms. Marvel I'm all looking forward to. I don't know much about Echo or Ironheart. I never watched the animated X-Men series and I'm not really interested in the other animated series either.

Commander Troi likes this.
  6. dupersuper

dupersuper Commodore Commodore

:crazy::thumbdown:

Also *spoiler warning for an old show*

The Inhumans are living on Hawaii by the end of the series, if I recall correctly.

7. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Adult of Dubious Maturity Premium Member

Yes. That's correct.

8. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't agree with this.

I wouldn't do it for a one-shot halloween novelty book either. It's an unremittingly shit concept with absolutely no saving graces.

10. Reverend

Sounds less like she's returning and more like she's transitioning to working behind the camera. Smart move, given she's fast approaching that age when women are somehow magically rendered invisible to almost all casting directors looking to fill leading roles.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  11. Reverend

I guess it depends on the execution. I never read the comic that started this whole thing so I have no clue if they bodged it or not (I'm guessing more the former based on the adaptation), but there's a way to execute an idea like this that can at least be fun and entertaining if taken in moderation.

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

If I remember correctly, back in the day, Peter Jackson was asked if he'd be interested in helming The Hobbit, and he said it wasn't a possibility at the time as he was suing New Line for unpaid royalties. The inference being that once that was out of the way, it was definitely possible.

It looks to me that it's fairly common for one party to a contract or another to require legal intervention for its interpretation and enforcement, and that this is almost an accepted way of doing business. Contract clarification / enforcement being the logical outgrowth of the initial contract negotiations.

It certainly doesn't appear to be taken personally or to be done with rancour.

13. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Nth Doctor and Turtletrekker like this.
  14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

15. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, I learned that recently because my mom, her partner, and my two youngerst brothers are watching Agents of SHIELD for the first time and I looked up that spin-off after they reached Bobbi and Hunter's departure.

You know who else was in that pilot? McKenna Grace! She's everywhere! :eek:

I really wish we could at least watch that pilot. Such a missed opportunity. :(

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still kind of shocked they didn't at lest release the pilot as a extra on the home release for the season it was made, or now on Disney+. I really liked both Bobbi and Hunter, and was really looking forward to Most Wanted after it was announced.

Commander Troi and dupersuper like this.
  17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Worf in the 23rd Century Premium Member

She specializes in playing younger versions of characters. Including young Sabrina (in the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina) and young Emma Swann (in Once Upon A Time). ;)

18. The Nth Doctor

It's because ABC owns the broadcasting rights and they were the ones who decided not to go forward with the show. Alas.

Don't forget Carol Danvers!

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

20. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised that more unaired pilots, at least of genre shows, don't show up as extras or just random streaming releases. The last one I can remember is the Aquaman TV pilot (from the Smallville creators, and starring Justin Hartley as Aquaman) being put on streaming (and as an extra on at least one DC blu ray) after it wasn't picked up.

Then again, I kind of like that (kind of related to the Agents of SHIELD spinoff) we only get the 2011 Wonder Woman TV pilot (starring Adrianne Palicki) as it should be, a bootleg still needing the "pants to be darkened" :lol:

That said, while its not a pilot I wish we got an official release of the 90s Fantastic Four film. All the original copies were supposedly destroyed, but I doubt it doesn't exist somewhere as a nicer copy then what is available online. Its easily better then Rise of the Silver Surfer or Fant4stic, so if those can get released on home video I wish the 90s film could too, although I know its basically certain that it never will be.