Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I called it...May says she's been answering to Fury and now he's "dead" and can't verify.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'm still trying to think what the timeline is. I think it's the night Fury was killed by the Winter Solider, which means actions in the Hub took place the day before Triskelion (i.e., the order to take Steve Rogers hasn't happened yet).

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Game over, Phil! Game over!"
    EDIT: crap, that should have been in the AoS thread...

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is all caught up with the movies. Do you think they'll have a GotG episode?

Hand says Captain America stopped the helicarriers (and we saw one falling on a screen in the background). I think the episode ends at the same time as the movie.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  5. The Old Mixer

I would say that I couldn't see AoS tying into GotG very closely...but there is still the mystery of the blue alien in the tank...while GotG promises to establish the Kree in the MCU. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they're saving some revelations about that to coincide with the film...which would mean season cliffhanger/next season opener, given the timing.

6. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

From what I can piece together, it happened over a period of several days starting from Sitwell leaving the Bus for the Lemurian Star.

While Captain America was taking out hijackers on the Lemurian Star, Skye was sending agents in pairs to different places trying to identify the Clairvoyant.

Roughly at the time Captain America discovered Zola in the underground bunker, the team was in Pensacola chasing down Deathlok and the fake Clairvoyant guy.

The events in Turn, Turn, Turn happens in parallel with Captain America taking on the three helicarriers.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  7. Alidar Jarok

I would assume that's the point of introducing a Kree.

I agree with that, but I think the only way for that to work is for them to stay at the Hub for about two days while they wait for things to clear up on the mainland.

That would only work if they somehow received no word of the death of Fury the day before they tried to take out the Clairvoyant and, further, received a fake message from Fury to come back to the Triskelion the day after he was shot and killed.

To me, a more logical timeline is that the secret message from HYDRA was sent out the night Fury was killed, but it was kept from Triskelion (Pierce and the other HYDRA sleepers knew of it, though). Pierce tried to get Captain America to join in the morning and, when that failed, ordered him killed. The events at the Hub occur roughly around the time that Rogers met with Zola and two days before the carrier was taken down (by my count, the events from The Winter Soldier appearing to kill Fury and the destruction of the Helicarriers was over a four day period). I'll type a full timeline when I get the chance.

8. Alidar Jarok

OK, I was unable to continue to post. Here's my attempt to explain the timeline. I don't think it's as consistent as it should be:

First concrete point is Sitwell going to the Limurian Star. Shortly after, there's the search for the Clairvoyant that results in Blake being hospitalized. However, both Captain American and Agents of SHIELD had a bit of a break in time that isn't exactly clear.

The next point is Fury calling the team and telling them to go to the Triskelion. If the actual call happened when they were in the compound so there was a bit of a delay, that could help push things a bit. Either way, it was night time when the Bus got redirected to the Hub, which was around the same time Fury was shot and "killed." It's a six hour flight to the UK and maybe a couple more hours to wherever the Hub is. Even at the latest, it can't be later than the point where Rumlow and team entered the elevator to take out Steve Rogers.

To me, Triskelion was the last to seem "normal" because it needed to keep up appearances. All of Day 2, that was devoted to capturing Rogers and Day 3 (where they captured him and lost him and he met up with Fury and Hill) happened after that message went out and Victoria Hand attempted to deal with it.

I earlier said two days later. However, it occurs to me that everything from the earlier fight with the Winter Soldier, meeting with Fury, and destroying the Helicarriers could theoretically occurred on the same day. If that's the case, it's possible the fight on the Hub took place the same day as Rogers met with Zola and they waited for less than a full day to find out what happened in Triskelion before deciding to take off again.

9. The Old Mixer

Here's a thought for something that AoS could deal with in the aftermath of TWS....What if SHIELD's index of metahumans was part of the massive public data dump? That could complicate life for a lot of people who've been trying to keep a low profile.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^I bet they'll find out soon enough (Steven Strange definitely would). Assuming this is the MCU, how would you feel if your name appeared on the index or some S.H.I.E.L.D. document? Personally, I'd act like it's true.

11. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A lot of people are going to be either standing their ground or running for cover, out of fear probably...

12. DEWLine

Big question: Other non-Project Insight Helicarriers were still in service as of the start of The Winter Soldier, right? What's happened to them?

(Possibly, I should re-direct this question to either the TWS or AoS threads. If so advised, I'll do so.)

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Presumably not all of their crews were Hyrda too. It's possible there may have been some mutinies or attempted mutinies, so it could go either way.

What occured to me just the other day is that they mentioned in passing a while back that SHIELD had the Abomination in a cryo-cell (presumably the same tech used to store Bucky.) Which means that Hydra may now have him, which also means he could potentially show up as a Hydra asset at some point down the line. That or some SHIELD loyalist faction may get desperate and try recruiting him themselves.

Another possibility that occurs to me is that Coulson initially confiscated all of Jane Foster's work. Even though they gave it all back it's likely they made a copy, which could mean Hydra has a head start on tracking (and opening?) portals. Not unlike the one Red Skull disappeared into...

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^ They already have access to the portal tech being developed in "Repairs" (among other things) by way of the hard-drive of the Bus computers that Skye oh so conveniently gave to Ward. In fact, it was Ward's idea that he hold onto it.

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^That's going to come in play later and though there's no record of it, Ward knows Franklin Hall is in an unmarked cell in the Fridge.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^No, he knows the Gravitonium is there. He believes Hall to be dead along with everyone else.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Another possibility occurs. Remember that whole bit about how 087's deemed too dangerous were taken to the Slingshot to be shot into the sun? Just how many of those rockets do we suppose weren't actually carrying any payload? There's no telling what Hydra could have stockpiled over the decades. Hell, that may very well be where the blue "Guest" came from.

Also, wasn't the Sandbox facility where all the dangerous technology kept for study said to be in Africa and didn't someone say that Hydra had taken a major SHIELD facility in said continent?

It's pretty clear now why they set up several of these facilities in early episodes, as we now know where the scrambling for assets is going to take place.

18. Alidar Jarok

How many Helicarriers were there before Insight? I'd have to imagine these things don't come cheap. Is it possible there's just the original one seen in Avengers?

19. DEWLine

Pennant number on the hull of the one we saw in Avengers is "64", so I suspect there's more than the one active.

20. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Sebastian Stan, the actor who plays The Winter Soldier, is currently signed on for 9 Marvel Studio picture deals. The studio is staying pretty hush hush about what movies are being made in their line-up which is planned out to 2028 but is this a sign that we'll see more and more familiar faces throughout the MCU? Currently, it's just Nick Fury and Blackwidow (and Coulson) who keep popping up in multiple franchises but is Marvel heading to just making team up movies? CA:TWS had a few superheroes, we have GotG coming up, and it's followed by Avengers:AoU. Ant-man's cast has been steadily rising (though their not saying who's who). With the Wasp, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw (Ms.) Captain Marvel, Wonder Man, or some other Avenger.

Thought I should add this here too. Not much of a spoiler for those in this thread but FYI, this contains CA:TWS and AoS spoilers.
    [yt]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vdDOhL-rC7s[/yt]