Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

17.9%
  2. A

26.6%
  3. A-

15.0%
  4. B+

6.9%
  5. B

14.5%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.6%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1.2%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.0%
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

AOS exists to promote the MCU on television. Its budget is probably part of the advertising expenses for the MCU films. ;)

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm sure TV and Movie rights aren't quite that independant. I remember 'legalities' between Fox and the makers of Mutant X over the use of mutants.

I'm pretty sure Marvel would have TV versions of Spidey, the FF etc. crossing over with Agents of Shield if they could.

3. Nerys Myk

From what I understand, the movie rights, the TV rights and the animated rights can be licensed separately.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

They can be, the question is entirely whether they are. I've heard it mentioned before. My understanding is there's no hard and fast rule. Some are really straight forward (the studio owns all live-action rights to a character). Some are more muddled (movie rights to a character). Some are subtle (distribution rights to a character). There's also merchandising rights. I forgot what is what, but I remember hearing that Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and X-Men are not all exactly the same. With merchandising, I know Marvel has Spider-Man merchandising, but not X-Men or Fantastic Four. With distribution, Universal still owns Hulk and Namor distribution rights.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Loki to appear in both parts of "Infinity War".

This was, of course, set up in the first movie--
    I wouldn't want to be Loki when Thanos finds him.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Interesting! Maybe the inciting incident of Avengers 3 is Loki showing up begging for their help because he's being hunted by Thanos! And he teams up with them for both movies and nobly sacrifices himself in the end only be resurrected as a younger version of himself just like in the comics.

7. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

What will become of The Mandarin, Abomination and The Leader? Does MCU actually have plans for them in the present line up or have they faded in to obscurity?

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I still say it was Thanos that helped put Loki on Odin's throne, I can't see Loki taking out Odin by himself.

9. Turtletrekker

I agree that Samuel Sterns/The Leader is the biggest dangling plot-thread in the MCU.

10. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think all of the animation rights fall under the umbrella of Marvel Entertainment now. Hence the three (soon to be four) Marvel cartoon series on Disney XD Sunday mornings and all of the characters they've included (Wolverine, Doctor Doom, Doop, etc.) on those series. I think Sony relinquished their cartoon license for Spidey after Spectacular Spider-Man ended.

11. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Tell me about it.

I was really looking forward to the Avengers fighting the Leader, and his army of Gamma Mutants (created from all that blood Stein reproduced).

All Hail The King alluded to another Mandarin existing in the MCU. A real Mandarin, who was not flattered by Trevor Slattery taking his name. However there doesn't seem to be a place for him in the line up of films to be released.

12. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't really see them doing anything further with the Mandarin in the films, though I could potentially see them tackling him on Agents of SHIELD. Or maybe... has he ever fought Iron Fist?

Abomination would be a good addition to a Thunderbolts team if they ever get to that.

Maybe in Phase 4 they might actually do another Hulk film. I'd like to see Ross recruit the imprisoned Leader to catch Hulk, and then Leader manipulates him into becoming the Red Hulk. Leader I could also see appearing on AoS.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  13. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Fat chance.. all of their movies since Iron Man were big successes box office wise and Avengers 1 was king of box office in 2012.

Marvel studios/Disney will ride this horse until it is truly dead (and then maybe some more) and it's anyone's guess when that will happen if at all.

For me it's a small miracle that they have not produced a true dud.. sure, some movies made more money than others but in general they are well liked which is a small miracle in my opinion.

Even when they gamble on untried properties or people they hit it big, e.g. Joss Whedon was a gamble because his career up to Avengers was not on the level of summer blockbuster and Guardians of the Galaxy was a relatively obscure team.

Seems like they have a pretty good grasp and judging by the fact that they have a schedule to 2020 shows how commited and sure they are about their movies.

If they keep up like this i wouldn't even put it past them to try to get all their heroes back from the other studios. Might be a multi-billion dollars deal for the X-Men alone, far less for the Fantastic Four side of things if their new movie bombs (which i expect it will) but if that happens they are set for 2020-2030 at least.

So far it seems like Marvel can't do wrong.. i'm sure that sooner or later they will have their black mark in the portfolio but i guess they can stomach that if they keep their formula intact.

God knows there's enough material from the comics they can film without having to come up with original content which the general audience wouldn't care about since they most likely didn't read comics since they were teenagers but for comic book readers it's both a blessing and a curse (for example the huge Winter Soldier reveal fell flat for comic readers since we all knew who the Winter Soldier really was, still a very good movie).

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I expect they have no more plans for the first two than they do for Vanko, Malaketh, and Ronan the Accuser.

The Leader might reappear again if the Hulk ever gets a solo film, but there are no actual plans for that any time soon.

15. Nerys Myk

Hey, they gotta do a Masters of Evil film!

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had a thought about the Infinity War movies the other day. A few weeks back there were rumors that the third Avengers movie was focused on a new team, but what if it's actually part 2. Maybe something happens in Part 1 that means the current team can't be in the next one , so we get the other Phase 3 movies to introduce the new characters who the become the new (or New) Avengers in Infinity War Part 2.

17. Nerys Myk

Well, the first recruits in the comic were: Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Hercules, the Black Panther and the Vision. We've got five of them already.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping the SHIELD show (assuming it isn't cancelled for its abysmal ratings) can pick up the slack of leftover storylines like the Mandarian, the Abomination, the Leader, etc.

19. Turtletrekker

20. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

All Hail the King was a pretty obvious bit of fanservice aimed at people who hated Shane Black's twist with the Mandarin. I still don't know why they bothered with that.

The disappointment of The Incredible Hulk has probably put any followup to the Leader off the table. That film really feels like the orphan of the MCU.