Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Clearly Disney is ashamed of comics.

Ovation likes this.
  2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hopefully since they were making such a big deal out of all of that in the promotional stuff, they're find someone who will stick to that since it's what people are going to be expecting.
    As far as I can remember, they never explicitly said there weren't other superheroes around. Steve was a pretty big deal as Captain America, but that could just be because he was the first person to be enhanced like that. There's nothing there to prevent there from having been an artificial being like The Torch, or a being who came by his powers naturally like Namor.
    Maybe there were other things going on that characters like Namor or The Torch were dealing with. Hydra might have been the big threat Cap and Co. were dealing with, but there's no reason there couldn't have been other things going on that other people were dealing with at the same time.

Not that tight, there are those montages that jump around in time, so there's probably still room for a quick team up if they wanted to squeeze one in there.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

We actually saw the original Human Torch as an exhibit at the World's Fair that Steve and Bucky went to at the start of the movie. https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Synthetic_Man

One thing a lot of people today don't realize about WWII-era comics (including Captain America, I think) is that they tended to focus on the heroes fighting spies and saboteurs on American soil rather than fighting in Europe or the Pacific. People often ask why Superman or other heroes didn't just end the war, but the fact is, they lived in an alternate reality where the continental US was under far more direct and frequent attack by saboteurs (what we'd now call terrorists), fifth columnists, Axis mad scientists, and the like, so the superheroes were kept quite busy protecting American soil while the regular military was fighting overseas.

So in the context of the MCU, where Captain America was fighting in Europe, there's plenty of room for other WWII-era heroes to have been defending the home front.

Indeed. Steve becomes Captain America in June 1943, his first big fight on the front lines is in November '43, and the climax of the film is in February '45. (https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/1940s#1943) So there's plenty of time for untold stories about Captain America and the Howling Commandos.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Reports indicate that Hawkeye has been indefinetly delayed, but not due to allegations against Jeremy Renner or script re-writes, but because Kevin Feige wants to have certain plot developments for the MCU to be established first.

https://mcuexchange.com/hawkeye-series-delayed/

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting. I wonder what this big plot point they want set up before it is? The guy who wrote the articles wonders if they want to introduce the Young Avengers first, and I could see that.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  7. Turtletrekker

Yeah, they are pretty obviously laying the groundwork for the Young Avengers. They seem to be establishing Billy and Tommy AKA Wiccan and Speed in WandaVision and Ms. Marvel (not a part of the original Young Avengers team, but she's an obvious inclusion) in her own show, and finally Kate in her and Clint's show.

If the secret plot developments in question are indeed Young Avengers related, I can put forth a few guesses. Ryan Coogler has stated in a couple of places that there was an early draft of Black Panther that included Eli Bradley AKA Patriot. He couldn't find a way to make it fit into the first movie, so it didn't make it to the final script. Perhaps they are delaying Hawkeye to a post Black Panther 2 release date and the introduction of Eli Bradley.

Another guess harkens back to the Captain Marvel movie. Why did Mar-Vell develope such loyalty to the Skrulls, despite the teachings of her people? Why did she want to end the war between the Kree and the Skrulls?

In the comics, Mar-Vell had a brief "association" with a Skrull princess that resulted in the birth of a Kree/ Skrull hybrid child that went on to be known as Teddy Altman, AKA... Hulkling of the Young Avengers.

Now in the comics of course Mar-Vell is a man. But who's to say that in the MCU that the female Mar-Vell didn't have a similar brief "association" with a Skrull prince with similar result? Having a half Skrull son would go a long way towards explaining why she was protecting the Skrulls as well as lay groundwork for Young Avengers. Now, if this guess turns out to be true, Kevin Feige might be waiting to establish Teddy first in the Captain Marvel sequel.

Anyway, I've obviously put way too much thought into this, but it's only because I want to see Young Avengers come to fruition, and these characters are essential, in my opinion. Eli for his connection to the Captain America legacy (which could also serve to introduce his grandfather Isaiah Bradley into the MCU, something that would make me overwhelmingly happy) and Teddy because you can't have Billy without Teddy.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    The Nth Doctor likes this.
  8. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's also Cassie Lang to consider, who should most likely be getting her powers in Ant-man 3.

But I don't know why any of this would delay Hawkeye. It makes perfect sense for Hawkeye to introduce Kate Bishop and then lead into the Young Avengers, just like Ms. Marvel and all these other properties. There's no need to hold that show back until after the Young Avengers are already a thing.

9. Turtletrekker

I knew I'd forgotten somebody.

10. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which does make think that the Renner situation plays into it. But Disney learned their lesson with James Gunn, and are not reacting too soon this time.

11. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They also want Hailee Steinfeld as Kate Bishop and it sounds like Apple is playing hardball when it comes to her contract for Dickinson, so Disney might be waiting for that to be resolved.

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I read somewhere a few weeks ago she herself was doubting about the part after the allegations against Renner.

*EDITED* So, the phrasing is a bit odd.....But here you go: https://heroichollywood.com/hailee-steinfeld-jeremy-renner-hawkeye-doubt/

13. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Morbius trailer came out today, and for those who haven't seen it yet, or been to the Spider-Verse thread, it does appear to confirm that the Spider-verse movies do take place in the MCU.

15. Christopher

Evidently, yes. But it's odd, because I still think Venom is a clumsy fit to the MCU at best.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I prefer to think of it as a sort of Venn diagram situation where there's an MCU bubble, an SMU bubble, and then the Tom Holland movies exist in that overlapping zone between them.

17. Christopher

That would imply that the only place you'd see overlap between them is in the Spidey movies themselves. The Morbius trailer has already disproven that. It has two elements that appear to be explicit references to elements from Homecoming and Far from Home. And a third has been rumored --
    the possible appearance of J.K. Simmons as Jameson.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

True, but until a character who was established in a non-Sony MCU movie (i.e. any of the Avengers, Guardians, etc.) shows up in a non-Holland SMU movie, I'm content to go with my current preference.

The Nth Doctor and Tosk like this.
  19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, from the bits and pieces we've heard I'm pretty sure the only MCU elements the Sony Spider-Verse movies are able to reference are ones from the Spider-Man movie.

20. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's fairly safe to say that the references we see in the Morbius trailer are a direct result of the new partnership deal that Sony and Marvel Studios worked out.