Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Coppola clarifies his comments

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...ose-despicable-marvel-comments-130012805.html

3. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not much of a clarification, really. He's still saying they're despicable, he just isn't ruling out the possibility that some of them may have something worth admiring somewhere within them. Which is still a rather ridiculous position to take, and even moreso when he once again keeps the focus on the MCU specifically despite his clarification claiming that his central problem is with the formulaic approach to cinema (as if that hasn't existed my entire life. And, let's be honest, his entire life, too. And before that as well.).

Anwar and The Nth Doctor like this.
  4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was going to make a comment about Coppola being just as irrelevant and shitty as Scorsese, then I read about the pedophile director that Coppola has continued to support long past the point where everyone knows he definitely did it and the guy even got prison time for it (the director in question being Victor Salva), so then I was going to call him out as being worse, then I looked it up and Scorsese is a supporter of Roman Polanski. At this point all I can say is fuck all ancient, shitty directors. They were probably all labeled as "not cinema" or variations of that when they were younger by the older generations at the time, and they grew up to be that stupid, but also decided that confirmed pedophiles need to be supported, apparently.

So yeah, Its definitely superhero/MCU movies that are despicable, not the pedophiles that these shit heads personally support :vulcan:

777, Booji, Anwar and 2 others like this.
  5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Peter David weighed in on Facebook about Coppola's and Scorsese's comments and I agree wholeheartedly.

For those who don't have Facebook, here's the full post:

The esteemed Francis Ford Coppola has joined his peer, Martin Scorsese, in dismissing the oeuvre of Marvel Comics as being a mere “theme park” rather than genuine cinema.

He says that as if that’s a bad thing.

Cinema is something that is scarcely over a century old, whereas the telling of superhero tales is a part of human tradition going back millennia. Marvel movies are, quite simply, modern myths, as legitimate a means of narrative as ancient Vikings telling the tales of Ragnarok.

How can I say this? Because I know the definition of what makes something mythic.

The average person describes the mythic without qualifiers as to its origin, defining it within its own structure.

Allow me to provide an example. If you ask the average person who Don Corleone is, they will say, “He was a character in ‘The Godfather.’” Most will know that Marlon Brando portrayed him. Others may be aware he first appeared in the book written by Mario Puzo.

But if you ask the average person, “Who is Peter Parker?” they will reply, “He’s Spider-Man. As a teen, he was bitten by a radioactive spider and acquired the ability to climb walls.” They will say this with the same conviction that they would tell you that Thor was the God of thunder or that Arthur Pendragon was the King of Camelot. They won’t say, “He was a character created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko who first appeared in Amazing Fantasy #15 in 1963.” They will instead tell you who he is.

Indeed, depending upon the age of the person being questioned, his reality may be even more forceful. In “Avengers: Infinity War”—spoiler alert—Spider-Man died. Turned to dust by the mad Titan Thanos. A month later, at a comic convention, a four year old girl in an Elsa costume from “Frozen” was seated in her stroller when she spied a fan gallivanting down the corridor in a Spider-Man costume. She leaped out of her stroller and ran toward him with her arms wide, shouting, “Spider-Man! You’re okay! YOU’RE OKAY!” The fan played it perfectly, never hinting to the thrilled child that he wasn’t her hero.

Once upon a time, before the advent of print, myths were spread by wandering bards who would travel villages and explain to the residents that when the Earth shook, it was because Loki was writhing under ground in the eternal punishment inflicted upon him by Odin. Or they would tell of the days that Robin Hood wandered Sherwood Forest, and so on. No one decried their activities as being less worthy than other means of storytelling. They were simply part of the human tradition of providing exciting narratives that stretched across generations. Vast tapestries of adventure for young and old alike that enabled our dreams to soar and imagine what, in our wildest notions, we could accomplish if only we had the means or the daring to do it.

If anything, “theme parks” are a better description of the transitory nature of the enjoyment provided by the Coppolas and Scorseses of our world. Yet oddly no one in the comic industry feels the need to try and degrade their accomplishments. We simply acknowledge that they are storytellers in their own limited undertakings, appealing to modern day sensibilities and providing transitory entertainment. But what we do, on the other hand, will last.

In other words, twenty, thirty years from now, the average teenager will have no idea who Don Corleone is, any more than modern teens know who Rhett Butler or Frank Capra was. But they WILL be able to tell you that Superman was the last son of Krypton. So how about Messers. Coppola and Scorsese stick to their theme park cinema and leave the creation of modern legends to the actual mythmakers?​

777, Masiral, saddestmoon and 10 others like this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like that.
    In the new comment Coppola talks about not liking franchises, but wouldn't The Godfather trilogy be considered a franchise?

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

36 minutes of deleted scenes from The Incredible Hulk have dropped on YouTube. This gives me hope that all the deleted scenes in the Infinity Saga box set will eventually hit YouTube.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

11. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, some nice little late Friday afternoon news:

-Ant-Man 3 confirmed, with Peyton Reed back to direct
    -Into the Spider-Verse 2 gets a release date of April 8 2022

Looking forward to both, though of course the Spider-Verse sequel will now have some extremely high expectations, after that first one.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great news. So is the official title going to just be Ant-Man 3? I would have rather seen them go with Ant-Man & The Wasp 2 or at least something that acknowledged her too since they were pretty much equal partners by Ant-Man & The Wasp.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The third one should be The Wasp and Ant-Man.

DEWLine likes this.
  14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would work.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I’m hoping for “GiAnt-Man”.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Ant-Men and the Wasps.

I want to see flashbacks to an old school adventure with Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer.

Masiral and The Nth Doctor like this.
  17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

They should copy the back to the future movies and add a new character to each movie or expand on one already established

Cassie should be stepping up for the New Avengers

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping a "comedy" title, like Ant-Man, The Wasp, and Peanut Too! (That '80s sequel vibe.) Or Ant-Man, The Wasp, and a Little Lady. (Too specific? ;) )

Those were all released way back when the movie came out on home release.

It definitely is. The store is called JB Hifi.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Dude, links. Here's the Ant-Man one, per THR.

Also: Hooray! :bolian:

[​IMG]

2 Ant-Man 2 Wasp.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  20. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Ant-Man and The Wasp