Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Uhh, I'm pretty certain it was sold as being in the same continuity. Which of course was borne out later on.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If anything, I find it more likely that this new version of Ghost Rider will take place in it's own independent continuity while AoS stays in whatever place it is in the MCU canon.

3. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can someone please spoil me on how AOS dealt with the snap? I am going to go back and catch up, so if this was actually a major plot point then don't spoil me, and just let me know that instead :)

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, that's what I thought they might do, but it's been clarified that it's the same version of the character, just in a story that won't refer back to or depend on his arc in AoS.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think we know yet, I don't remember it being addressed in that finale, which took place at the same time Thanos and his minions were attacking Earth, and next season doesn't start until next Friday.

6. Christopher

Yeah, the last season implicitly ended right before the Snap.

7. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

Posted this in two other threads yesterday, but I didn't think to post it here 'cause I'm a dumbass.

There's been some clarification from Hulu via Entertainment Weekly about whether this is the same Robbie Reyes we saw in Agents of SHIELD.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/01/hulu-ghost-rider-helstrom-series/

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems like they mean "This Robbie Reyes did live through and experience the events of AoS's fourth season, but we won't be referring back to it in the show because we're marketing this as a Ghost Rider series to new viewers. Not the spin-off of another show they may or may not have seen, which will have no narrative bearing on the story we plan to tell."

So it's a Daria/Machete/The Confessions of Dorian Gray (for anyone that follows Big Finish's Doctor Who audio plays)-style spin-off where new viewers wouldn't even know it was a spin-off without doing a little research. Rather than a call-back/crossover heavy DS9/Angel/Agent Carter/Agents of SHIELD/Star Wars Rebels-style spin-off.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Gavin70 likes this.
  8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It would be weird if at this point they just start breaking away from the movie continuity for no apparent reason. It does seem to me however that they're just being very careful to stress that it's not an AoS spin-off, but a show about Ghost Rider. Not a separate entity in terms of continuity (which is how most fans frame things) but in terms of marketing (which is how the show runners frame things.)

Honestly if this is the intent, all they should have said was "it's the same character that was introduced in AoS, but he has moved on and the show is about his story going forwards." Or something to that effect. The way they've presented it thus far has just been confusing.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    OCD Geek and Grendelsbayne like this.
  9. Christopher

I was thinking, rather, that they might break away from the prior TV continuity, which the movie continuity has, to date, referenced precisely once. After all, the movie division is making the new Disney+ shows, and it's been stated that they'll be integral parts of the movie continuity, unlike prior shows where the connections have only gone one way.

But of course, as we've now heard, the GR show is apparently meant to be consistent with the AoS version of Robbie, even if it doesn't overtly reference it. So that's reassuring.

That's because it's not aimed at established fans alone. It's aimed at the more general audience, people who don't necessarily watch AoS and would be confused if it had been referenced.

10. YLu

YLu Captain Captain

The MCU already has a family of science-explorers, complete with an older scientist, his wife, and an immature member.

When the MCU finally does get around to the Fantastic Four, how are they going to make them not come off as the Pym/Lang family redux?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  11. Christopher

Well, Hank is pretty secretive. What characterizes the FF in the comics is how public they are. Their role in the comics is more analogous to what Tony Stark's role has been in the MCU up to now, the public face of the superhero community and the vanguard of technological innovation. So if anything, the FF would more likely take over the niche of the core Avengers, rather than the Pym/Van Dynes.

BeatleJWOL and OCD Geek like this.
  12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

That's an interesting observation considering that Ant-Man director Peyton Reed pitched for the Fantastic Four project that eventually went to Tim Story.

13. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Snap created multi-verse (or something to that effect). Let Phase 4 officially begin!

saddestmoon likes this.
  14. Christopher

Which provides a handy way for the Marvel TV shows to avoid dealing with the Snap's aftereffects, if they're now established as an alternate timeline from the movies. Though since this is a Sony co-production, I wonder if it's also meant to tie in with Into the Spider-Verse and its cosmology, or to establish the Venom/Morbius universe (i.e. "Sony's Universe of Marvel Characters") as a parallel branch from the MCU.

Theoretically, it could also be a way to bring in the X-Men or the Fantastic Four, without having to retcon them into the established MCU's history.

Anyway, I think I'm getting a sense of the storyline from the trailer.
    It seems like Spidey and Fury see Mysterio as a potential "new Iron Man" to pin their hopes on, but he turns out to be too callous ("Sometimes people die") and willing to inflict mass destruction to achieve his ends, so Spidey has to turn on him -- sort of echoing his role in Civil War in the comics, where he started out apprenticed to Iron Man but came to see that Tony's oppressive methods were wrong and defected to Captain America's side.

saddestmoon likes this.
  15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

After seeing Endgame I'm really curious how they will incorporate that into the MCU going forward. That should have been a massively life altering event so I wonder if they'll actually incorporate that or if they're going to do a Doctor Who and conveniently brush it aside for the most part.

Of course, it was the Arc Reactor! :)

I'm not a fan of the Fantastic Four but it does seem that they would fit well into the vibe of the MCU films assuming they maintain it.

16. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not Marvel specific... (or at least not directly related) but... To Stand Out, the Army Picks a New Uniform With a World War II Look
    Apparently these will be new US Army uniforms in 2020:
    [​IMG]
    Wonder if MCU played an inspiration part in the throw back style (after all most the 18-year old or so recruits would have been growing up on MCU)
    [​IMG]

17. Christopher

It'd be cooler if they based the uniforms on Captain America.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Great, yet another change in uniforms.

Trust me, while this may look great to civilians, but this is a huge pain in the ass for them.

No. That's a horrible, terrible idea. Just. No.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe, though I'd wager it's another attempt to try to recapture the "glory days". ahhhh, Let's go with them being inspired by MCU and maybe Wonder Woman.

20. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whatever the reasoning I'm glad to see it. It's the best looking uniform the Army ever had, even if they don't want to call the new version Pinks and Greens. Blue was a bad idea in the first place.