Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe so, but I'm not 100%

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that would be my assumption, it would be the place for stuff that doesn't fit in to Disney+'s family friendly tone. We already know they have the adult animated Marvel's Offenders series going to Hulu rather than Disney+.
    I really hope Disney doesn't get completely control of Hulu, I like being able to watch ABC, NBC, Fox and some of the cable shows all in one place.

I still have cable for AMC, FX, Syfy, Comedy Central, USA, and occaisionally Discovery, Nat Geo, and Animal Planet when they're show nature or science shows rather than reality crap.

Classic Doctor Who is also on BritBox, I got it through Amazon Channels and already used it to watch Terror of the Autons a while back.

3. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well at least you'll still have ABC on there ;-) And what is the Fox network going to be showing anyway?

You don't need cable or any live TV for AMC any more. The other channels you listed are available on live TV streaming options that are much cheaper than cable. Having said that, none of them are as convenient as cable with a good DVR box.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's easier for people who are less tech savvy and don't want to hassle. My parents have cable as does my grandmother. Just easier for them, and they don't bother with streaming beyond Netflix.

5. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Cable is also much cheaper still. My FiOS cable bill, for local channels only, doubled in price this month. I decided to check out Hulu, but that was twice the price of FiOS cable! For all this talk about how over priced cable is, it's still more convenient and cheaper than streaming services when you factor in everything you get.

fireproof78 likes this.
  6. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem with factoring in everything you get is that most people don't care that much about most of what is on cable. Almost everyone winds up paying for (a lot of) channels they literally never watch. Also the price difference is going to be highly variable based on a lot of different factors. The cheapest cable I could possibly get will be at least 30-40 euros a month. Netflix is 13 euros a month.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I am sorely tempted to cancel my cable, but I'm not sure what online services I could replace it with to get the various shows I watch. Some networks stream their content online freely, but there are others that only let you watch online if you're a subscriber to a cable service.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Given the number of new startup streaming services now and coming in the next few years, I think there's going to be an inevitable crash where a bunch of them go extinct or get gobbled up simply because the market can only support so many concurrent subscription fees at once.

Booji and The Nth Doctor like this.
  9. crookeddy

My DirecTV bill is $130/month, and no lower package will get me half the channels I watch. And this is with no premiums, or top tier packages. How many streaming options can I pay for with those $130? I guess almost all of them.

10. crookeddy

I can help you out with this, but you have me on ignore, so I guess I can't. Anyone want to tell him that I am offering assistance? lol

11. crookeddy

About cable - where they REALLY get you is equipment costs. A single DVR can be $12/month to rent the box, $2/month to rent the remote and $12/month for cable. You can get 3 streaming services just for the price of that hardware!

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That's my sense of the situation, too, especially when some services like CBS All Access only offer a limited amount of new content (although I know that's rapidly changing for CBS just with Star Trek).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Reverend likes this.
  13. crookeddy

I wonder if they can change the CBS All-Access branding to something like Viacom All-Access or Paramount All-Access... That just sounds like a better deal.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I think that eventually we're going to see some of these streaming services combine like we saw UPN and WB combine to become the CW.

What gets me is Warners is essentially doing two separate services. They have the DC service already and the Warner Brothers service forthcoming, but they're going to split the DC content between the two of them (as I understand it).

15. crookeddy

To make it stranger, they also own HBO.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  16. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing. If they all start charging $2 a month, I could maybe see them survive. Otherwise, gobble gobble.

Reverend likes this.
  17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think some consolidation between different services would be a good idea, or some aggregate provider like the way a cable service offers multiple channels.

18. crookeddy

Not being able to get things a la carte is one of the biggest complaints about cable.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Honestly it doesn't surprise me at all. The internal corporate culture between the various divisions of WB is notoriously combative. It'd be just like them to end up competing with themselves.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to sign in with my cable provider to watch the most recent one or two episodes of The Walking Dead.
    This really confuses me, I don't understand why they didn't just put all of the DC shows on the WB service. Ever since they announced it I thought DC Universe was a bit too niche. I understand there are comics and other stuff on there too, but the shows are still the big selling point.
    At least Disney is putting the Marvel and Star Wars shows on Disney+ rather than setting up separate services for them.