Maquis: missed opportunity?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Mage, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You didn't like Worst Case Scenario?

2. brcarthey

brcarthey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i know you're not american, but the US government is already allowed to take your land if they deem it in the best interest of the general public. it's called "imminent domain." during the 1930s many people lost their home and land due to many public works projects like building damns and creating reservoirs. so while these peoples' land may not have been given to an enemy, they were still forced to move.

with the case of the maquis, they were at least given a choice. they chose poorly and instead taking the blame for that choice they chose to blame others for their plight.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  3. brcarthey

brcarthey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i'm not sure we'd agree on who in voyager was comparable to who in M*A*S*H except for one...i think we could definitely agree that the EMH is voyager's version of maj. charles emerson winchester III. :lol:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  4. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

What was the other option?
    Break the treaty and go to war again with Cardassia.
    So yes, at the time relocating a small group of settlers was a better course of action than war and the deaths of thousands. The treaty was also made because Bajor had requested aid from the Federation after the Cardassian annexed it. Starfleet couldn't enter that region of space until they signed a broader treaty of non-aggression with Cardassia. A world full of starving & dying people still out weigh a few settlers who aren't. The best course of action was to abandon them.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Maquis were defacto Cardassian Citizens or actually Cardassian Citizens depending on how the local government filed their paperwork.

6. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

A pity since both those series actually were good. But "Stargate Universe" is horrible.

7. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I do agree for a leader of the Maquis Chakotay did a fast turn around to be a gung-ho Star Fleet officer.