Spoilers MacGYVER reboot review thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Christopher, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I have watched little bits of episodes to get an idea of what they are doing. Plus reading online descriptions. The series seems so disconnected from the original I have little interest. Bruce McGill’s role could have been played by anyone. I was really close to watching Michael Des Barres episode but when I learned how little he does or how little dialogue he had I did not bother. Online he has said this was just tease for future appearances on the show. I hope so.

I actually watched most of the finale with Tate Donavan revealed as the father. Largely because I was home from work earlier than normal. It was obvious from episode descriptions his unnamed character would be the Dad. To repeat again - Richard Dean Anderson has publically said he does not like this show. Hoping he gets payed a huge chunk of money to appear is not going to change his mind.

I have no interest in arguing with anyone who likes this show. You are free to enjoy it. It feels like completely different characters with the same names. Beyond the characters I miss the variety of the original show. It was close to an anthology show with one constant lead character in MacGyver. Pete Thornton was in many episodes but not all. Jack Dalton was a recurring character that only appeared in episodes that needed him. This new show is like every other team procedural on the air. With MacGyver just another member.

2. thribs

thribs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The show is basically another NCIS rip off now. It even has crossovers with those shows.

3. Cyanide Muffin

Cyanide Muffin All hail Doctor 13 Premium Member

What?

When?

4. thribs

It crossed over with Hawaii Five-0, which in turn had a crossover with NCIS LA, and that had a crossover with NCIS.
    By the transitive property, this means that MacGyver has crossed over with NCIS.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. Cyanide Muffin

Oh yes indeed. Wow

6. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Commodore Commodore

That whole TV universe started with JAG

7. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Strong like Elsa Premium Member

I still contend that all this takes place in the snow globe from St. Elsewhere.

Cyanide Muffin likes this.
  8. Cyanide Muffin

Yeah every single TV show happens there.

God I hated that show ending. I nearly hit the TV

9. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not exactly. NCIS is a navy crime procedural show where a crime happens (usually a murder) and the team interviews suspects, collects evidence, figures out whodunit and then catches the guilty person in the end. Occasionally, NCIS has deviated a bit from that premise to do a counter terrorism plot. The new Macguyver however, is more a spy show with the characters having to do some dangerous covert mission to save the world. I would say MacGuyver is closer to Mission Impossible than NCIS.

10. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

One way or the other, it says that the people writing under Kurtzman only know how to write team characters, and not loner characters. It's what they do, and they have adjusted MacGyver to be that way. From the New York Post:

Romulan_spy likes this.
  11. thribs

Completely taking away what made MacGyver special.