Lt. Riley/Bruce Hyde

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Komack, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Komack

Komack Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

My kids have just finishing watch "Naked Time," and they are dancing around the house and singing "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen." Their question for the forum - why wasn't Lt. Riley in many more episodes?

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

From what I remember reading, both of Hyde's appearances on Star Trek came about as a result of his being invited to try out while he was on the Desilu lot auditioning for other shows. He ended up joining a stage production of Hair! shortly after filming of "The Naked Time," and not long after that left acting altogether for something like fifteen years.

3. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Qonundrum, ZapBrannigan and GNDN18 like this.
  5. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sure would have been cool to see him have a cameo in one of the original 6 films.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Riley was supposed to be a "done in one" type character like most guest stars on TOS. The character he played in "Conscience of the King" being Riley was the result of Hyde being cast, prompting a name change.

Qonundrum likes this.
  7. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked Riley and wish he could have been a regular character at least as much as Lt Kyle, who also showed up in TWOK. As was mentioned upthread, Hyde became a professor at St. Cloud U., where he remained until his death two years ago.

Qonundrum likes this.
  8. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

It may only be a rumor, but I thought the producers bumped Riley off because they had a Scotsman on board.

9. Nerys Myk

Why would they do that? Riley isn't a Scot. He's just one of those Americans who get drunk on St. Patrick's Day and yells "Kiss me!! I'm Irish!

10. Spock's Barber

Because Ireland is close to Scotland, and they thought having 2 somewhat similar crewmen would be redundant. IIRC, Doohan voiced his own opinions against Riley becoming a regular character.

11. Nerys Myk

But Riley isn't Irish. That would like Doohan objecting to Kirk because "Kirk" is a Scottish name. Heck, "McCoy" is a Scottish name too. So there are three "Scots" characters on the show.

12. Spock's Barber

Memory Alpha says that Riley was born in Ireland.

13. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Naked Time had a vague reference to being "born an Irishman." That could just refer to ancestry. There was no specific indication that Riley himself was supposed to have come from Ireland, such as a stereotypical fake accent.

Kor

14. alensatemybuick1

alensatemybuick1 Captain Captain

Riley says at one point in Naked Time: "You know what Joe's mistake was? He wasn't born an Irishman."

He also says at another point: "Have no fear, O'Riley's here, and one Irishman is worth ten thousand of you..." (and gets cut off by Spock).

And from Wikipedia:

"I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen" is a popular song written by Thomas P. Westendorf in 1875. In spite of its German-American origins, it is widely mistaken to be an Irish ballad.
    (and Riley says that it is "an ancient Irish favorite")

So its kinda silly to deny that he was intended to be Irish.

PS:
    SPOCK: Fascinating. A pattern is developing. First, Tormolen. Hidden personality traits being forced to the surface. Then Riley, who fancies himself a descendant of Irish kings, and now Sulu, who is at heart a swashbuckler out of your 18th century.

Qonundrum and Spock's Barber like this.
  15. Spock's Barber

Well, he didn't claim to be Albanian. :whistle:

16. Nerys Myk

"Irish Pride" is a quite different thing from actually being born and raised in Ireland. America is full of "Irishmen" who've never set foot in Ireland. Hyde didn't bother with an Irish accent in the "sober" portions of Naked Time or in Conscience of the King.

JonnyQuest037 and Kor like this.
  17. alensatemybuick1

alensatemybuick1 Captain Captain

OIC - you must be born in Ireland (and speak with a stereotypical Irish accent) to be Irish.:rolleyes:

True, there was no dialog to the effect: "I, Kevin Thomas Riley, was born in Ireland and lived there until my family moved to Tarsus IV when I was a child". I'm sure it was an oversight.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  18. Nerys Myk

Well, being born in Ireland is pretty much a given for the most part. The accent less so.

19. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are we talking about ethnicity, residency, citizenship, or what? Those are different things that don't always intersect. Someone born outside of Ireland is entitled to Irish citizenship if at least one parent was an Irish citizen at the time. And someone with no Irish ancestry can become part of the Irish nation by naturalization.

Riley seemed to be a North American (or Tarsian) of Irish heritage, perhaps describable as an Irish-American-Tarsian.

Kor

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  20. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm just glad they re-used his character name for the second appearance. I hate it when an actor comes back and plays the same exact type of character but has a different name for no reason other than the script was written by somebody else. That's as bad as when a new actor plays a part that someone else played before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.