Spoilers Lower Decks General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by mdtauk, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've mentioned before that, "Man, wouldn't THE FINAL FRONTIER have been an awesome title for this? It sucks we've already used it!"

Rhodan likes this.
  2. RTOlson

RTOlson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had a random thought about Mariner. Since she doesn't share her mother's family name, it's pretty likely that she shares her father's family name.

_However_, the name "Mariner" reminded me of "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner." Maybe she killed an albatross and is forever cursed to roam deep space. It's probably not what's going to happen, but it popped in my head.

KimMH likes this.
  3. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

She might've remarried (or she kept her maiden name, in keeping with Trek's vision of a progressive future).

gblews likes this.
  4. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

A similar confusion happened to me; it seems somehow at least adjacent. Maybe the Cerritos is the albatross. They go to sea for years at a time without coming to shore. *Hopes they get at least a five year mission!

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Commander Ransom reminds me of Jim from American Dad.

6. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Mariner" might be an alias, as she doesn't seem to want people to know she's the daughter of Captain Freeman and probably Admiral Whatever, both of whom seem to be above her in hierarchy.

It seems from the last episode that Jack doesn't even know of their relationship, which a little alarming. I assumed that he would independently be in charge of her discipline to prevent any issues of favoritism, but if he doesn't know, then that means there's no safeguards against potential nepotism here.

RTOlson likes this.
  7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Still rising too

Turtletrekker likes this.
  8. RTOlson

RTOlson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the ship is a California-class vessel. Maybe that's short for "Hotel California" where "you can check in any time you want, but you can never leave."

Also, the showrunner did say that the class (or type?) of ship has been around forever. ;)

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I could see where it may have been an intermediary design between the Ambassasor era and the Galaxy era. It still used the circular primary hull which ostensibly came before all the others contemporary to the Galaxy, which adopted the elliptical one.

10. Charles Phipps

I hope in the Far Future, there's a secret anti-Roddenberry vision paramilitary group called Boimler Effect.

I think they made her mother hostile to Mariner as to avoid the issue of nepotism.

Also, I do have the amusing idea Mariner didn't lose her medal, just her rank, in the Moist Vessel episode.

Which means she's probably decorated like Audie Murphy. She just is an Ensign.

SolarisOne and KimMH like this.
  11. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

:rommie:

12. Death Ray

Death Ray Commander Red Shirt

Sounds more like a synthwave band.

Nerys Myk and Danja like this.
  13. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

Mariner may have entered Starfleet to please Mom (she may come from a military family -- Dad's an Admiral, after all).

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Upcoming Legacy actors

John De Lancie is playing Q in a very small part in an upcoming episode, he's not the focus of the episode, I'm going to guess in a cold opening. Kurtwood Smith will be playing a new character in the same episode

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

My theory is Mariner was pressured to join Starfleet by her parents, though since she has no real idea what she wants to do with her life, she stays in Starfleet but doesn't take it so seriously, thus her laid back attitude.

BillJ, KimMH and Danja like this.
  16. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

Still no sign of this in the UK! Sooooo jealous that we are not having the chance to watch it weekly (this is how I think Star Trek should be watched!). It will probably be dumped on a streaming service all in one go for binge watching. We haven't even had the second series of Short Trek's yet either.

Michael likes this.
  17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

At this point, I don't think the international markets get the show until after Discovery finishes its thirteen week run.

18. Charles Phipps

Can we get some Boimler/Tendi scenes? Some Mariner and Sam?

I mean, mix the group up a bit.

dupersuper likes this.
  19. Death Ray

Death Ray Commander Red Shirt

So I’ma say it: I was prepared to go full Fandom Menace D-bag on Lower Decks based on the first two episodes, but I think those sunsobitches writers gave found the sweet spot.:biggrin:

20. frankieteardrop

frankieteardrop Commander Red Shirt

This is only tangentially Lower Decks-related, but....Tawny Newsome started a Trek podcast with Paul F. Thompkins!

https://www.startrek.com/news/star-trek-the-pod-directive-talking-collectables-with-ben-stiller

Here's how a previous ST.com article describes it:

Looking forward to listening later.