Spoilers Lower Decks Ep set at DS9

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Photon, Sep 29, 2022.

1. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Maybe it's more like a Coast Guard (i.e. primarily search and rescue) for colony worlds with oceans that don't yet have the capability to deploy a domestic equivalent.

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, but even with the war over, DS9 would be one of the most strategically important space stations in local space. Exploration of and trade with the Gamma Quadrant is still vital -- there is a reason the station was important before the war. DS9 would also almost inevitably be an important waypost and staging area for transportation of material and personnel to Cardassia as it rebuilds (and Alled ships occupying its territory). DS9 is also one of the closest Federation starbases to Breen territory, which would make it fairly important. And, of course, its original mission of providing Federation support and protection to Bajor is still valid.

That would make more sense.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I watched the episode last night. It was pretty great. Does David Mack still work on LD? I wonder if he suggested using the Karemma. Nice touch whoever thought of it.

I doubt I'll watch another episode of LD though. A phaser is akin to a gun, I don't think shooting your colleagues would go down well. I know it was sent on stun, but still.

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

That might be what the in universe explanation would be, but it is not in line with historical examples. Certainly the US has bases, built on land it usually leases, but it negotiates uses of ports for the most part in foreign nations. The military is only initially the entity that distributes aid and oversees development, but that is turned over to other organizations as the security needs diminish. Given that Bajor reached the level of development that allowed it to join the Federation as a member, there would be far less need to Starfleet to be directly involved in its affairs. It would only need to rent facilities on DS9. If they really needed dedicated port facilities, Starfleet should be looking to build its own station. It would be the same thing as the US Navy having San Diego for the fleet, but having the bulk of its supplies going through the Port of Los Angeles--not nationally owned, not state owned, but municipality owned,

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9 is run by Starfleet because the Bajoran government asked them to. It's as simple as that.

Bajor may own the station, but if they happened to ask Starfleet for help in running it, that is of course their prerogative.

As for the Militia: No reason why there couldn't still be one even after Bajor joins the Federation. They don't all have to be absorbed into Starfleet. I mean, Vulcan still retains ITS own fleet, even though it's a founding member...

Lynx and kkt like this.
  6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'd like everyone to keep in mind this episode only aired last week. I've seen a few minor spoilers in this thread which could easily have been hidden with the spoiler tag. It costs nothing to use the spoiler tag, so when in doubt just go ahead and use it!

Thanks! :)

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is in line with DS9 though...

Qonundrum and kkt like this.
  8. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

IMO, even the title is a spoiler.

9. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Hello. Drama, not documentary.

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

The promotional material made it clear they were going to DS9, so I consider it fair game.

11. Sci

Why do that when Deep Space 9 is already there and there's already a legal arrangement to operate it as a joint Federation Starfleet/Bajoran Militia starbase? Seems like a waste of resources to build something that's already more than adequately served by the existing station.

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Still the threat of some other power coming to attack DS9 if the Federation isn't there to defend it. Still a pretty key economic position that made Bajor into an economic power.

Qonundrum and kkt like this.
  13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Just binged the whole of Season 3 and I am totally onboard for an animated DS9 continuation!

14. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

So which Lower Decks season and episode is set at DS9?

15. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My headcanon is that the Bajoran vedeks said they'll join the Federation when Sisko returns. Which they expect any day now.

SIX YEARS LATER

"Any day now."

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Watch it legally for free for a limited time on YouTube, along with the rest of season 3 of Lower Decks.

Sci and Richard S. Ta like this.
  17. Sci

Watched it again the other night. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I felt like I got to visit old friends I hadn't seen in 20 years. :)

Richard S. Ta and Turtletrekker like this.
  18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Well, the only old friends there were Kira and Quark, and they both sounded like they had aged 20 years more than their characters did.

I personally felt let down. DS9 was my favorite Trek series, and the episode just didn’t sit well with me.

19. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

And Morn, and he sounded like his good Ole self.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

He’s the exception to the rule.