Lower Decks Crossover Episode

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Precious Tritium, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

This one time at band camp...

Commander Troi and Richard S. Ta like this.
  2. EDX

EDX Lieutenant Red Shirt

Somewhere Between Future's End and First Contact
    Surely the most logical crossover for STRANGE NEW WORLDS and LOWER DECKS would be to introduce 'Lower Decks' types on the former (Presumably going through some sort of Old Timey Starfleet rigmarole, as seen from a Redshirts-eye view), then show their much, much older selves making an appearance on USS Cerritos ... just in time for Whacky Time Travel shenanigans to hurl both generations of Our Heroes back to the mid-23rd Century!

This sort of two-part crossover is, I believe, a time-honoured one and would help emphasise that the two shows take place in the same universe, but represent fairly different 'worlds' - or perhaps just two different viewpoints on the same event (With STRANGE NEW WORLDS showing the Bridge Crew react to DANGEROUS TEMPORAL INSTABILITY - with the occasional glimpse of suspiciously futuristic types skee-ing/hyperventilating in the background - and LOWER DECKS showing the cartoon madness only hinted at in the first half, with the occasional nod to the Serious Science Fiction Adventures going on at the same time*).

*Bonus points if this all gets started because a much, much older crewman from the days of NCC-1701 (presumably a nonhuman, to explain their longevity) wants to go back and slap some sense into their younger self (presumably while said younger self has tribbles "You broke time!" "I didn't break time, I made time!" "You made time worse!").

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

NO
    Also, no.

4. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

So what was Green Acres?? Surreal??

5. Nerys Myk

Actually yes. It was about a normal guy surrounded by odd balls, eccentrics and broad stereotypes. The most surreal of the Henning shows.

nightwind1, Donald G and BillJ like this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And hilarious.

nightwind1 and Nerys Myk like this.
  7. Dar70

Ok. well surreal than. Characters dodging credits or hearing music and talking to the camera etc...

8. Nerys Myk

In LD? That was on the holodeck.

BillJ likes this.
  9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I hope they figure out a way to work Badgey into the episode!

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

TOS itself has never been Camp. It occasionally did a campy episode, and leaned into some elements that might be considered 'campy' - but again, it's never been Camp.

(Lower Decks included. Not all comedy is 'camp' or 'campy' - And no Lower Decks in general doesn't fall into the Camp comedy classification.)

11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    PIKE: "A hologram of a Starfleet delta insignia that threatens people with harm?"

SPOCK: "Indeed."

PIKE: "And some wonder why I had Number One rip out all the old holographic projectors."

12. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Almost every one-hour drama in the late '60s did stories with a feel like the sillier TOS episodes. Hell, The Wild Wild West was basically four seasons of James Bond in the Old West with a recurring dwarf who was hellbent on world domination with some new scientific scheme. That's just how TV was in the Vietnam Era. And even those stories had serious undertones.

13. Mr. Patient

Mr. Patient Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm wondering if this will be something like "These are the Voyages," except funnier and without the regrettable death. I'm here for it, regardless.

14. Dar70

No I was just giving examples from green acres. To make sure we are on the same page of whats is Surreal..

15. Nerys Myk

Yes, that would qualify. :lol:

16. Donald G

Donald G Commander Red Shirt

Green Acres is the place to be.

Green Acres was quite clever in how it broke the fourth wall and satirized the artificiality of television, from all the other characters except Oliver hearing the fife rendition of "Yankee Doodle" playing on the soundtrack when Oliver goes off on his pompous speeches to no-one in the show knowing what state Hooterville is actually in, etc.

Green Acres is terribly underrated.

Cue replies to the effect that "Green Acres is terrible, all right."

17. Dar70

Indeed it is..It actually was part of the inspiration for some of the gags on the Simpsons...

18. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the producers said that Mariner and Boimler will appear in live action. So no, I don't think they will do a cartoon Boimler and live action Pike ala Who Framed Roger Rabbit. My guess is the episode will start in lower decks cartoon, the Cerritos will encounter some anomaly, and cartoon Mariner and Boimler will go through the anomaly and show up in live action form on the Enterprise with Pike. Or maybe Pike and Spock will go through the anomaly and show in cartoon form on the Cerritos. But they won't mix live action and cartoon in the same shot. Just my guess.

I am really looking forward to it because I want to see the Cerritos character in live action. That will be so cool and fun!

Commander Troi and Richard S. Ta like this.
  19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anson said we'll see a cartoon Pike.

nightwind1 and Romulan_spy like this.
  20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

So yeah, some animated characters cross over into 'RL'; and some RL characters cross over into 2D it seems.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    Romulan_spy likes this.