Spoilers Lord of the Rings TV series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Cyrus, Nov 4, 2017.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

For The Hobbit, yes? He got pretty far in the script treatment but then left the project due to delays and such. He has screenplay credit for all three films.

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I hated that sequence in the movie, and it sucks because the barrel escape is my favorite part of the book going back all the way to when I first read it as a kid.

Commander Troi and Klaa2 like this.
  3. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found an edit called the Spence edit that edits out massive chunks of the second and third movies without feeling that anything significant is missing. My only disappointment is no Beorn.

Commander Troi and Klaa2 like this.
  4. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't his son absolutely dispise all adatations of his books? I had assumed he inherited that attitude from his father.

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

He was very dissatisfied with the LOTR. I think that influenced is limiting what information could be used in writing the Hobbit films, like no appendices or Similarion.

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Del Toro had been signed, sealed and delivered as the writer and director back in 2008. He ultimately abandoned the project a few years later because MGM being broke as a joke resulted in the film continuously being delayed, and he wanted to get back to actually making movies (especially because WB was willing to give him full creative freedom on Pacific Rim).

While he maintains screenplay credit, Jackson says that they were forced to mostly drop what Del Toro had written, especially after MGM persuaded him, Walsh and Boyens to make the series a trilogy.

8. Unicron

That's kind of unfortunate, as I have a lot of respect for Del Toro's work on some of the films I like. I feel like he knows how to tell effective stories and he understands how to pace them as well, which is very essential. I enjoyed rewatching Pan's Labyrinth the other day and it's still one of my favorite Del Toro movies.

Commander Troi likes this.
  9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

One of my favorites too.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, OK.

11. fireproof78

That's why the Blue Wizards could not be named. No other ancillary materials to reveal their names, sadly. Really want more about the Blue Wizards.

BK613, saddestmoon and The Nth Doctor like this.
  12. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

According to TheOneRing,net, a site called Fellowship Of The Fans has posted an interesting version of a report that’s been circulating in the last few days. It would probably be wise not to treat it as money in the proverbial bank just yet, though.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    saddestmoon and BK613 like this.
  13. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

So will Shore create leitmotifs, themes, and other structural elements for McCreary to expand upon - a sort of palette of sonic ideas from which to draw? I wonder if that would make McCreary feel he is effectively a subordinate in the creative role? I expect he'd expect equal billing - he's no lightweight in the business of scoring for games and TV, not so much for movies.

14. Unicron

Maybe we'll get more Figwit. :biggrin: :rommie:

Asbo Zaprudder and saddestmoon like this.
  15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Feels like they are trying to tie the series to the movies.

16. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Functionally, he is. Shore put in a tremendous amount of effort into the Music of the LOTR movies. He's the expert. Even if Shore wasn't involved, McCreary would be building on Shores work, even if they don't have the rights to the movie score. As long as everyone knows this going in, there should be no bruised egos.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  17. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I like both Shore's and McCreary's work so I expect great things from a collaboration of their talents.

saddestmoon and The Nth Doctor like this.
  18. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

. Yes and no. They had the legal right to use material contained in the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings, which did include the appendix, timeline, ect. Why we have any white council at all. They couldn't prevent that, those right had already been purchased. But they absolutely weren't going to approve anything that wasn't part of those rights already. But Similarion, notes, partial created stories, ect all off the table.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  19. fireproof78

Thank you for the clarification.

20. fireproof78

Thank you for the clarification.