Poll Longer seasons? (with compromises)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by NewHeavensNewEarth, Mar 29, 2019.

?

Would you rather see...

This poll will close on Oct 29, 2019 at 10:32 PM.
  1. longer seasons with downgraded CGI and other cuts?

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. same length of seasons with the same quality?

45 vote(s)
    88.2%
  1. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Captain

I've watched a lot of serialized stories.

The fastest moving series I watched was probably Z-nation. You could have as much plot development in an episode of Z-Nation than you'd get in an entire season of The Walking Dead.

Discovery to me is reminiscent of series like Black Sails, 12 Monkeys, Killyjoys, The 100, Gotham and the like. All of which move along fairly quickly and require the audience to keep up with the pace and pick up character development as series move along. Absorption is on the fly. But it does require a quick mind and eye to catch everything that is spinning by. But I don't find they actually skimp on character any more than slower shows, they just do it differently.

i didn't find Halt and Catch Fire to be somewhere in the middle. Not to fast, not to slow, IMO.

On the other hand things like Counterpart, Man in the High Castle, the aforementioned Better Call Saul and Hell on Wheels are for a slower state of mind, sit and enjoy the scenery, feel the narrative waves lap along the beach. A lot less happens, and there's a lot more of people ruminating, sitting around and talking. But that doesn't mean those conversations always offer some kind of amazing insight that faster paced shows don't. And a lot of the time the narrative swings around to the same thing more than once.

Each and every one of these has value providing one can speed up for the faster shows and slow down for the slower ones. But one does get a lot of "this show is batshit crazy bonkers" with shows that move fast, whether they are indeed batshit crazy bonkers or not. I think some people just can't keep up with a fast paced show.

Its not a problem for me to match the speed I need to for whatever show I'm watching in order to pick up what's needed to get the story being presented.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Lord Garth likes this.
  2. drt

drt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don’t think the number of episodes needs to change, but I wouldn’t mind if some episodes were 5-10m longer, that might keep some from feeling rushed, and to slip a little more characterization into others.

3. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure if it even boils down to quality/quality, for me. The length of the seasons, given the breakneck speed of the episodes and generally favorable broadcasting tempo... 14/15 episodes per season is perfect. I don't think I'd want any more/less a year.

4. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

I kind of feel like if you kept the episode number the same, or even dropped the number to 10, but did more Short Trek episodes and focused them on DSC's supporting characters like Detmer or Reno or whoever, and made them a little longer (25 minutes), it would almost feel like having your cake and eating it too. You'd have your main serialized arc, but you'd also have these other slightly smaller episodes that could potentially give DSC the vibe of being an ensemble show, similar to 90's Trek.

5. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Captain Captain

I think a 12 or 14 show season is just about right, but maybe they should standardise the running time to 50 or 60 minutes
    Maybe a 90 minute finale show.