Logan's Run Television Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Vger23, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I stand by my ascertation that this series was trying to capitalize on Star Trek more than a little bit.

REM was definitely a take on Spock (and as a result, a precursor to Data).

"The Innocent" is a good little re-make of Charlie X

"Half A Life" takes the concepts of The Enemy Within and reworks them, but many of the philosophical underpinnings (and accompanying dialogue) are virtually identical.

"The Collectors" is a poor man's The Cage

Overall, I really liked it though. It was much better when it was working with the mythology established by the movie or showing more about The City of Domes, both of which were far more rarer occurrences than they should have been.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'll grant you Rem (and already have), and I'll grant you "The Innocents" because it's co-written by D.C. Fontana. But as a rule, you can't assume that similarity alone proves direct homage. After all, Star Trek didn't create its concepts or format out of whole cloth. It was drawing on earlier precedents and trends as much as any other show. Before there was "Charlie X" there was "It's a Good Life." Before there was "The Cage" there was "People Are Alike All Over" and about a hundred other science fiction stories about humans being turned into zoo exhibits by aliens. Before there was "The Enemy Within," there was Jekyll & Hyde. Star Trek was not the only show to use these plots and ideas before Logan's Run used them.

So yeah, Star Trek was an influence to an extent, but it wasn't the exclusive influence by any means. Because science fiction history is much bigger and deeper than just Star Trek.

Vger23 likes this.