Lis Sladen

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Apr 19, 2011.

1. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Because the question was asked earlier - and I'd brought up the point myself - according to a revised version of the Doctor Who News Page obituary, there were three Sarah Jane Adventures stories that had been produced for Series 5 at the time of her death - so six episodes in total. In British TV format, 6 episodes is a viable season, so I would imagine we'll still be seeing some Sarah Jane Adventures later this year.

Alex

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I agree with this. And it is a kids' show so I'd prefer an optimistic outlook when it ends.

3. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would like to see a 'Farewell Sarah' episode, but do it with style. Have the show jump ahead ten years and show the castmembers coming together for a 'one year anniversary' memorial. It would pay tribute to Liz and Sarah, and at the same time give the show some closure by finding out the kids all went on to have bright futures.

I originally used this pic for Nick Courney's passing. Seems even more fitting today.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  4. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Dang. :( I was just gearing up to watch Sarah Jane. I t will be sad watching it and knowing she has passed.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Holy. Shit. I just saw this over at Gallifrey Base (on a giant banner). I can't barely believe this. I had absolutely no idea she was even sick.

Rest in peace, Lis Sladen. :(:wah:

6. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing this.

I recently purchased the newly released "The BBC Radio Adventures" boxset which includes The Ghosts of N-Space, The Paradise of Death, Doctor Who and the Pescatons, and Exploration Earth (the first two with Jon Pertwee and Nicholas Courntey and the last two with Tom Baker). I'll definitely be listening to all of them as soon as I get them.

8. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

They were both great and as judges in the costume contest they voted me the winner because they had never seen an American dressed as Troughton's Doctor.

9. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

SCORE!!! How cool is that?

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

http://io9.com/#!5793664/rip-elisabeth-sladen-doctor-whos-apprentice

11. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I can't imagine any reason why the final episodes wouldn't be shown. SJA doesn't do season-long arcs or anything, so the stories could be seen as a simple coda. And if they were made at the same time as Series 4, there was no indication that she was ill in those episodes, so there's no reason to suggest she'd look or act any different in the final ones. And they were shot months ago, so there's none of the "she died a week later" morbidity that often makes some people hesitant to watch an actor's final work (see, for example, Heath Ledger's last film). My assumption is they'll air them in the UK as planned this fall, after Series 6 of Doctor Who finishes up.

Alex

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

If Ian and Barbera can live long after the actors have passed than so can Sarah Jane.

13. The Cutest of Borg

The Cutest of Borg Vice Admiral Admiral

Farewell Elisabeth Sladen. You were the Doctor's finest companion, and you will be missed. Thank you for bringing Sarah Jane Smith to life! Godspeed.

14. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's very nice. And as much as we can sit and bicker about how The Sarah Jane Adventures should or should not go on without Lis Sladen, I'd only say this:

Whatever else you may think about Russell T. Davies, the man is a writer who cares about his characters and his actors and his audience, and who shows enormous sensitivity to the question of how to portray loss onscreen for a child audience.

I for one have faith in his judgment that he and his collaborators will find the right way to go forward. Whether that means depicting Sarah Jane's death, or depicting her as going somewhere "out there," or ending the show, or continuing the show with Rani and Clyde, or continuing the show with Jo Grant, or whatever -- he'll figure out a way to make it work, and to make it work in a manner that honors Lis Sladen's memory.

15. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Sure. And if they'd done that with the parent series, Doctor Who would have ended when Hartnell opted to leave the role in 1966.

Look, if you can replace the lead character of one program nearly a dozen times without utterly destroying the integrity of that show, I see no problem whatsoever in successfully utilizing the very same device to replace the lead in a spin-off series.

Would it be horribly contrived?

You bet!

But no more or less so than it has been any of the other times its been utilized in any other part of the Whoverse,

16. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

William Russell is still alive.

17. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She's not dead, she's merely fighting evil on a higher plane of existence.

And that's what I chose to believe.

18. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

NO!!!!! I had a bad feeling when I saw this thread. very unexpected and very very sad.

Goodbye Sarah Jane.

19. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ I don't know, I do have to agree that its probably best to let the show go after these last episodes are shown.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't love seeing Rani, Clyde and the others again someday. If only there were some mysterious traveller who could wisk them off to new adventures...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  20. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

read this elsewhere:

It brought a tear to my eye.